Find
Notify
Tools

Best Value in a 2x7-X variable?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Which 2x7-X riflescope would you recommend as the best buy for your money, for use on "full-power" hunting rifles (from say .257 Roberts to .375 H&H cartridges)? I need three or four of them, but would like to get pretty good quality without breaking the bank.

(Yeh, and I DO still believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy....)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold,Nikon in the meduim price range would be hard to beat.The Kahles at a higher price point.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
IMHO the Leupold VX I 2-7 is the best buy on the market. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just ordered 2 more Leupy's last night. Love them 2-7"s

one of us
posted Hide Post
leupy one more vote. FWIW I had the same delema, ended up with 4 of the 2-7 vx-1 and 2 1-4 20 vx-1 and am very happy. Check out Cabelas as they have free ship and a lense pen with your order.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for vxI 2x7 luepys. Great F.O.V., nice and compact.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This one is starting to sound like a "no-brainer"...sounds as if Leupold is the way to go. Thanks for the opinions.
One more question...does Leupold still have a "compact" version of the 2-7 available?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more vote for the VX-I. The Leupold VX-1 in 2-7x is about $180 most places. There's no comparison with any other scope in at this price. The 2-7X is also a very sensable power range for most big game hunting.

For another $80 or $100 you can get the VX-II with click adjustments and a lot of hype and hot air about special lens coatings. I don't find the click adjustments particularly advantageous, and I'll lay you odds that the lenses are coated identically and all come out of the same bin.

The "Compact" line has been moved to the VX-II "level" and slightly reworked and renamed "Ultralight". I do not know if the 2-7 power was retained in the Ultralight line.

By the way, I have the older Vari-X IIc 2-7X (same design) on a rather light weight .375 H&H. I'll have to admit that the scope can take more punishment than I can Wink

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the compact is smaller than the standard 2-7, but if it is I would avoid them like the plauge. Unless you are mounting these on mini mausers and the like (which even then it may be a problem) the issue that I have had is these are on the short side. On the model 70s I put them on (2 375 length and 1 06) I had custom mounts made to avoid the extended bases (Biesen). On my mausers I went with extended front rings. Keep in mind that all of my setups are low or extra low and this may have somthing to do with it. BTW it looks like you are in OR and I might suggest the shotgun version (same scope with a shorter parallax)as it has the heavy duplex and I like it in the dark timber we have up here.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever mounted one of the VX-I 2-7s on a Marlin 1895 guide gun? I've been nosing around for a lower powered scope. This might be too much magnification for my needs, but I do like the versatility it would give for some longer shots.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold...

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got one on my Ruger 77-22 and it is the cat's meow. I readjusted the parallax to 40yds or so, and the squirrels and rabbits are in trouble. It sits just right on the RF.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a VX1 2x7, and it is perfect.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck--Another vote for Luepold. I gave my grandson a .308 in Win 88 and that's what it was wearing. I have 3 or 4 more of the 2x-7x compacts. There is one Luepold I like better and it's the 3x-9x compact with EFR(Extended Focus Range)it will focus down to 10 meters and I have that on a spring air rifle.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
I'm also in the Leupold camp, in this case at least. I would however, spend the extra bucks for the VX 2. IMO they're a bit brighter and I am partial to the click adjustments.

I would stay away from the 2-7 compact or ultralight as it's now called. It's handy and light but it's dark, and a bigtime liability in poor light. Mine are long gone and I don't miss them.

Finally, If you don't mind getting one for the price of two, the Kahles 2-7 is almost twics as good. For light transmission and resolution, they destroy either of the Leupolds. Unfortunately though, they're mid $400's. If you can, I'd check one out before you buy, they are that impressive.

Gabe

Pa to three sons
Sambone 5
Catcher 3
Heebies 1
Husband to one wife
the Cluck

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which 2x7-X riflescope would you recommend as the best buy for your money,

I would have to say the best value is the Nikon Prostaff. Not the best 2x7 but, certainly the "best for the money." I bought one for less than 100 bucks and put on a slug gun. The optics are very good and it has been holding zero for some full house slug rounds.

I personally would go with the VXII if you could afford it but, the Nikon Prostaff 2x7 is a heck of a scope for the money.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I put a Prostaff on my muzzleloader and it is a great scope for about 50-70 less than the VX-I.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the current production Leupold VX2s are worth the price difference over either the VX1 or Rifleman. The best 2-7x for the $$ has got to be the Nikon ProStaff, which wholesales for less than $100, but doesn't seem quite as bright as the VX2.

I have a couple of Nikon ProStaff 2-7x scopes on rifles that I use for culling deer, but not on what I consider my "serious" hunting rifles. If there is a chance, even a slim chance, of encountering a trophy buck when carrying the appropriate tag, I want (as a minimum) a scope with VX2 grade optics. Why take a chance on the possiblity of not being able to see/aim/hit the trophy of a life-time for a difference of $75+/- per scope?

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Yeh, and I DO still believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy....)

Get a leup(old) and you'll be right there with the other boys and girls with wishfull thinking. boohoo

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck: My Leupold 2x7's have been serving me splendidly for some time now, and in quite the variety of harsh conditions and modes of travel!
No question - go with the Leupold VX-II 2x7!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote