Find
Notify
Tools

Side Focus Parallax Adjustment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
I have a 4x16x50 SF Burris Black Diamond. It was mounted on a 22-250 with dual dovetail rings. The side focus knob would not turn past 100 yard focus.

So, I took it off in preparation for sending it back to Burris for repair. After I took it off the side focus knob works fine.

Is it possible that the mounts had the scope body in a bind and would not let the internal focus adjustments work? Would it be because the scope was in a bind from front to back or because the rings were tightened too tight?

Any other reasons?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Woods,

Did you have the rings perfectly lined?

I always check mine with my caliper before I mount the scope to ensure they are in line.

Lapping may help as well.

It could be you are tightening the rings to tight. If you're like me, I get them as tight as possible. I've broken too many of the cheap torx wrenches Leupie sends with their mounts Eeker But I haven't had a single issue yet from tightening them too tight.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Reloader

I used a Wheeler Alignment Kit but the rings were very tight. Another thing I noticed is how loose the dual dovetails were in the bases. I could turn them by hand. So I don't think alignment is the problem but the tight rings might be.

I took the gun in to have some trigger work and the action bedded. When I get it back I'll try tightening the rings and see if they reach a point where the side focus stops working.

Any ideas on the loose dovetails, maybe 2 different manufacturers?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could turn them by hand. So I don't think alignment is the problem but the tight rings might be.

Man, That's scary for sure. I don't trust the DDs a bit unless they are really tight. I like them tight enough I have to get a dowel or screw driver handle to turn them. I think I'd Buy another set of bases.

If I had some I'd give you a steal on em' but all I have is abolt and weatherbies on hand in a Leupie set-up and they are for standard. I've got a 1 piece weaver steel base and rings like the grand slam I'd give you but, They are 1" and gloss.

I think I'd tack another set of DDs on my next order to midway if I were you. I bought some the other day and they were less than 20 for the 2 piece.

That's not gonna help your problem though. One thing that I'm sure probably isn't helping is how narrow the leupie rings are. There's just not much bearing surface on the tube and they can dig in pretty bad when you get them super tight. I'd have to guess this may be the problem. I just put a set of the same rings on a Nikon Monarch Gold. I'm not sure if Redfield has a DD set of 30mm rings but if they do, they are wider than the leupies and don't seem to pinch the tube nearly as much when super tight. The Signatures are more expensive but, probably would fix the problem as well.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Talleys.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
Try Talleys.

I need the offset bases and extension rings to get that long scope positioned right. You're right about the Talleys though, they are the best when you can use them.

What about bending the foot of the dovetail on the rings? Anyone ever do that? Would make them tighter. Could put them in a table vise and squeeze them a little.

Thanks for the offer on the rings Reloader but I have collected so many over the years that I have a box full of them. Usually run out of extension rings when looking for them though. Have a lot of the kind with windage screws on the rear since I got away from those kind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

How do you use the caliper to insure alignment?

What do you measure from?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader,

How do you use the caliper to insure alignment?

What do you measure from?

I install the front ring to what visibly looks square then, I measure from the rear of the base to the top edge of each side of the ring(bottom half of course) and adjust until the front ring is square. You can place a piece of steel against the rear of the base and measure to it. Once the front ring is perfectly square with the base, I install the rear ring and get it perfectly lined with the front ring.

Once I have all that lined, I set the scope in the rings and make sure that it slides easily back and forth with no binds. If it slides easily, I install the top halves, tighten, and call it good to go.

May not be the best way but, it has worked great for me on all of my rifles.

I don't think lapping is really needed if the rings are lined properly. Wouldn't hurt but not needed.

Good Luck

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:

I measure from the rear of the base to the top edge of each side of the ring(bottom half of course) and adjust until the front ring is square. You can place a piece of steel against the rear of the base and measure to it. Once the front ring is perfectly square with the base, I install the rear ring and get it perfectly lined with the front ring.

Reloader

Hey Reloader

After measuring on the front ring from base-rear to ring-base, do you measure from the bottom of the front ring to the bottom of the rear ring or use the rear base to rear ring measuring again?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Reloader

After measuring on the front ring from base-rear to ring-base, do you measure from the bottom of the front ring to the bottom of the rear ring or use the rear base to rear ring measuring again?

I measure from bottom half of front ring to bottom half of rear ring after I get that front ring square with the base. Just measure inbetween them and make sure they are parallel.

Good Luck

Reloader