New
Find
Notify
Tools

kahles scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at buying a NIB older 1" model 3-9x42 and am wondering what folk's opinions are on these scopes.
For comparison my other scopes are mostly swaro Z3's.
Thanks

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I don’t think you can go wrong if the price is right. It won’t be like your Swaros, even though same ownership, but I’d rather have that than many others.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Kahles is probably the world's longest-surviving line of rifle scopes and Austrians are reported to prefer them to Swaros.

The Helia Super 27 I used yearly for 33 years on my 338 WM is tough and reliable, partly because its small size saved it from damaging bumps. Though the eyebox is noncritical, the optimal eye relief could be longer and shrinks as you wind up the power.

The new-in-box scope you want will probably have a constantly centred reticle, though, a concept that sounds good but may come with downsides like reduced FoV and field blending, and susceptibility to heavy recoil over time because the erector set has become a little scope rocking around inside. However, almost all scopes have that now and I'd rather trust Kahles than many of the competitors.

We have one modern Kahles here, a 1.1-4x24 Helia C, but it has a 30mm tube. It seems a good scope but while the eye relief is long and quite constant through the powers, the old eye-position flexibility has gone.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by handwerk:
Looking at buying a NIB older 1" model 3-9x42 and am wondering what folk's opinions are on these scopes.
For comparison my other scopes are mostly swaro Z3's.
Thanks

make sure it is 25.4mm or 1 inch and not 26mm as the european used in the past some rings may not work on the scope.

i have a kahles helia 8x56 that is a 26mm body not 25.4mm

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote