New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Repair Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest that has a cracked internal Lense. Does anyone know of a repair facility. I broke it before the pandemic and just now getting around to dealing with it. thanks

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Tell Zeiss. If that lens is in the erector tube it is probably the result of punishment from the tube crashing around under recoil, a consequence of bad, modern design.

In this country, at least, there is a thing called statutary warranty, under which consumer durables are expected to last a certain time oblivious of the maker's warranty. I would think a scope of that price should be covered for at least five years, even considering how they have been made since 1975.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for your views sambarman. actually I was hoping someone could provide warranty contact information for Zeiss in the USA. I may have to do some searching.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think a scope of that price should be covered for at least five years, even considering how they have been made since 1975.

The Conquest line was introduced somewhere around 2001, not 1975. Having used that line extensively -- and having known several others who did (and still do) the same -- I've never run into a problem with them other than a single 30mm/FFP 3-12x56, which did not have the full range of horizontal adjustment. That "bad modern design" as you call it has served many folks admirably. But that's because they actually use them instead of sitting back and criticizing with little-to-no first-hand experience with the product(s).

swm-
Here is the page for customer service and support. They'll likely replace your scope with the newer V4 3-12x44, which is a very nice upgrade.

https://www.zeiss.com/consumer...ucts/us/service.html

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks Bobby. I will contact Zeiss and report later what their resolution is.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Zeiss has been good to me.

I had a Zeiss bino that my wife, oldest son and I literally wore out over 20+ years.

I told them about it.

They said, send it in.

I did.

They could not repair it, and they no longer made the bino in question.

So, they replaced it with the most similar model they made at the time.

Free of charge.

I love Zeiss!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
You're right, Bobby, with the exception of the Zeiss Conquest on my son's 35 Whelen pump, I haven't used them. Why? Because I don't trust them on my bigger rifles and in the rough country we hunt.

I admit that in the past year I've only shot two sambar and a running pig, all with my little 9.3x62 and its ancient Nickel Supralyt 2.5x, but I have walked a fair way over rocky hillsides. (Just before I got the last deer my buddy said he had to get off that hill for fear of twisting an ankle.)

As you know, I hunted almost exclusely with a Sako 338WM rifle for 40 years before that, 33 of them with one old Kahles variable.

So, I have only had cheaper image-movement scopes on 22LRs break down. I have a country cousin, however, who has had many crap out on him, mostly on medium bores, too. His have been American scopes but I have no reason to believe the modern European ones would be any stronger, with the possible exception of models using Swarovski's helical erector springs.

My complaint is the progressive decadence in scope design. Before 1946 Zeiss, Hensoldt, Noske et al used to run their reticle cells in dovetails or Oldham couplings, with the turret screws screwed into them. A spring was sometimes used beneath but only to take up slop in the threads.

After the war, models with internal adjustments more often made do with springs to locate the erector cell but, since it weighed very little, that was no big deal.

What is a biggy is when you have the whole erector set, power scroll and reticle suspended by those springs, hinged at the back whereby the front end must be under pressure to break loose as the rifle rises under recoil.

PS: 1975 was about when Zeiss threw in the towel and changed to constantly centred reticles. This would have been roughly when the American patents ran out but my guess is Zeiss knew the 'new' concept was flawed and only took it up for acceptance in the US. Other makers like Nickel, Unertl and Pecar ignored the patent expiries and kept making reticle-movement scopes for years/decades after that.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby hit the nail squarely on the head. Zeiss emailed me today and said they mailed a replacement consisting of a V4 3-12x44 at no cost to me. I find this exceptional due to me having purchased the scope used several years ago!

I love my Swarovski, Leupold and Zeiss scopes and certainly appreciate their customer service!!!

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That's great to hear, swm, but just as well your scope didn't pack up in the middle of Africa on your hunt of a lifetime. Once makers like Leupold and Pecar used to give long/lifetime warranties because the scopes were tough and rarely gave trouble. Now it's just the cost of selling a design they know is problematic.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swm:
Bobby hit the nail squarely on the head. Zeiss emailed me today and said they mailed a replacement consisting of a V4 3-12x44 at no cost to me. I find this exceptional due to me having purchased the scope used several years ago!

I love my Swarovski, Leupold and Zeiss scopes and certainly appreciate their customer service!!!

Am glad they took care of you. Enjoy your new scope. The V4s have worked exceptionally well for me.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swm:
Zeiss Update! after waiting several weeks with the 3x12x44 on backorder, Zeiss replaced the 3x9x40 with a new 4x16x44! Nice upgrade although it is much larger in both magnification and physical size than any scope that I've ever used on a hunting rifle. in fact, I can't recall the last time that I turned a variable above 6 power. Not sure what I will ever mount this scope on, but it was nonetheless a pleasant transaction with Zeiss.