New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting a Monarch on Long Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many of you guys have mounted a Nikon Monarch on a long action? I just mounted one on a short action and barely had enough tube length. The bases are weaver style and the rings are mounted very close to each end of the bolt opening. Anyway, did you have to buy some extension type bases and let them overhang the bolt opening?

I'm thinking about building a long action varminter and really like the monarch but concerned about the mounting options.

One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
It has similiar mounting tube length to a 2.5-8x36 but not the eye relief so you'll probably need reversible front rings.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Check the chart for Weaver bases-most rifles have an extended base available for the front base. I think it gets you 1" more leeway. Or get a Pacatinny type one piece from Farrel, and put the scope wherever you want.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem on a SA Weatherby and a 6.5-20 Monarch. I've had to get Burris extended rings to extend the front ring backwards.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2-7x on a Whitworth .375 with Leupold QR rings, still have some room to move it back if needed.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any pics of a monarch on a long action with extended bases? I would like to see how it looks before I buy.

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
The 4-12x 40mm Monarch is quite short. It won't fit on most long action rifles. Most of their other models are longer in the middle, and not always a problem. But it is something to look out for when putting a Monarch on a long action rifle.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scope in question is a 6.5x20 monarch. It sure does have a short tube, may have to drop down to the buckmaster with the longer tube.

one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Might look at a Bushnell Elite 4200 rather than dropping down to a Buckmaster. 6-24x available. It is rather long, but a very good scope.

might

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do like the elites, got one on my stw, but their target turrents are not what I want in a target scope. The turrents are too short in my opinion, but I may have to give one a try just to say I did. From what I can tell in the pictures, the 6x24 has the same turrents as my 4x16.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Justin,

I've had the 5.5-16.5X44 on a couple of 700s and one Weatherby Mark V, the M5 and one 700 were LAs and one 700 was SA. All had plenty of room for me, even had plenty of room for me to get them right where I wanted them as far as eye relief goes. Don't know how much diff. there is in the tube on the 6.5-20. All rings and bases were Leupie std.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote