Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint Red Dot or Trijicon Accupoint?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Does anyone have knowledge or experience to compare these two types of optics?

I'm looking for something to put on a short action big bore for hunting in south east Alaska. Quick and light, for less than 75 yard shots.

I have read what each Mfg has to say, and some reviews, but I'm still having trouble making up my mind. The more conventional scope feature of the Trijicon is appealing, because I'm already used to low powered scopes, but I'm thinking I may be missing out on something good if I don't try a red dot scope.

Any input is appreaciated.

http://trijicon-inccom.nj-web-0601.uplinkearth.com/user...k_row=0&categoryID=5

http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s?id=47&prev_id=47&product_id=116

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not owned either of those, but do own two EOTech holosights.
You might want to consider them also.
The EOTech's are very good, and rugged, as they are used by Armies all over Europe and the US.
I did a lot of comparing before I bought mine, and am happy with the sights.
The EOTech's project a red dot at 50 yards, holistically. The models I have are the 512 and the 552. The 512 is the smaller of the two, and is just right for a sporting rifle. It's similar to the Bushnell Holosight, which EOTech designed for Bushnell.

Don

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have used both on a military carbine, I prefer the Aimpoint by a long shot, but I am not sure how many others would say the same.

In my mind it should sit on top of every guide or PH back up rifle on the planet.

It works like a charm in Iraq and Afghanistan, can't see why it wouldn't work on other things that go bump in the night.

I have one on my 9.3x62, and I will probably have a spare one on my 9.3x64 while doing close stuff.

Can't imagine a better sight for back up or close range running shots.

#1 optical sight throughout Europe for driven hunts. And probably the most common sight in Scandanavia for hunting with a dog.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
OK.

2 MOA or 4 MOA red dot?

I am also wondering what's the difference with the long versions, like the 9000L designed for hunting, compared to the military / police versions?

Apparantly the 9000 uses two rings, and the really short tube uses only one ring. I'm wondering about stability with one ring. Probably a safe assumption that it's good if it works for the military or police.

Is the sight picture basicly the same with either scope? And how does eye relief fit into this since the longer version, 9000L, will have to be mounted conventionally right over the receiver, just like a conventional scope. I think I understand that these are both-eyes-open scopes.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoint is unlimited eye relief.I believe most non magnified sights like these are.I use one on my muzzle loader and it is wonderfully fast on your target.Actually I think setting it up forward ,like a Scout scope might be a little faster. OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of attaching one of the one-ring versions to the front slot on my Ruger MK II receiver. I've got a set of the Warne QD rings.

This is the short action Ruger I had rebarreled in 450 Marlin, and I want to use it as my walk-about rifle this summer, and become familiar with it, then take it hunting next fall.

KB