THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reticle Choice for Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m planning on getting a Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50 for my .22-250 for general varmint hunting – prairie dogs to coyotes.

What reticle do you recommend for this application? 4A-I, BRT-I, CD, other?

Is the Ballistic Turret a useful feature in this application?

I prefer an un-busy/un-cluttered reticle like a 4 or 4A for medium and big game hunting, but don’t have a lot of varmint experience.

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brazos Jack:
What reticle do you recommend for this application? 4A-I, BRT-I, CD, other?

Is the Ballistic Turret a useful feature in this application?

I prefer an un-busy/un-cluttered reticle like a 4 or 4A for medium and big game hunting, but don’t have a lot of varmint experience.

I agree with you about uncluttered reticles for big game hunting. Sadly, if you want balistic compensation via the reticle, you are in for some amount of "cluttering".

Of the reticles listed on the manufacturer's website, I think I would be most interested in this one:

But mostly because I have worked with a Swaro "TDS" reticle before (which is pretty close to this one) and have liked that for simple and quick compensation. For big game I would probably have chosen the reticle above or the #4 (for greater simplicity).

I have used the Swaro Ballistic Turret system. It probably provides more accurate ballistic compensation than a reticle like the one above is capable of. The drawbacks, IMHO, is that it is somewhat slower to use than a ballistic reticle (possibly more of an issue when you hunt big game as opposed to varmints?), and it is a bit of a chore to set up for a particular load.

For varmint hunting I might be tempted to go the way of the Ballistic Tower. Possibly, I would combine it with the reticle above - to use the reticle if I needed to be fast (coyotes), and the ballistic tower if I needed to be precise (prairiedogs, say).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the TDS reticles. However they are not made anymore. MHO's reticle posted above is a good choice. Practice at various ranges and power settings is worth the time with your load of choice. I like my 6 X 18 Swarovski TDS scope. You will like the one listed. Excellent scope-glass!!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After weighing all the great input, I've decided to go with the 4A-I and ballistic turret on the Swaro Z6i 3-18x50. I can't afford new, but luckily I'm very patient. Now I just need to wait until I find someone with one of these scopes that they are tired of.

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a chat with these folk's, they offer custom BT set-up.

WWW.Outdoorsmans.com

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Jack, I have said scope on my 22/250.

The turret combined with the 4A reticule is the only way to go, it is maybe a $50 extra, get it.

TDS type reticules are great on a big game rifle, I have the TDS in a Z6 2-12x50 on my 260rem.

However, for a varmint rifle at longer ranges, they too crude, small errors in estimate of range and or holdover will result in misses on small targets.

Get the 4a with the turret, it is very simple to use and set once you understand it. I have mine set for 200,300 & 400 yards. If a crow is 350 yards away, just dial half way between the 300 and 400 marks. Simple and effective.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 4-A-I reticle and the BT plus the SR-rail - which comes only in this setup as well...

That would be my choice...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
are the BT turrets as easy to use as they show on ther vid?

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are easy enough to use - once you get them sighted in to match the ballistics of your load. Clicking your scope is often more accurate than using a reticle for ballistic compensation - alas it is also slower.

If you need to be spot on at long range and have the time to fiddle with your scope (e.g. if your quarry can be expected to remain stationary for long enough for you to range the distance, click the scope, sight and pull the trigger before the critter moves to a new position) a ballistic turret is a great way to go (don't forget to reset scope after clicking).

If the above can't be counted on, and if you can allow yourself a certain amount of leeway for your shots (e.g. because you are shooting at big game - as opposed to prairie dogs, say), a ballistic reticle is faster. As with most things, different strokes for different folks...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote