Find
Notify
Tools

VX-L a flop???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
after going to cabelas and seeing more VX-L's in the bargin cave than any other scope regardless of make and also seeing several here for sale on our classifieds I am wondering why this is and why people are trading the scope off or dumping it

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I for one read all the advertisements for weeks, "be prepared to be eclipsed" and "this will revolutionize the way you think about rifle scope optics" or something to that effect. If those guys at the marketing dept. ever loose their job with leupold, I think they'd make excellent politicians.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They laid it on thick with the LPS too. That was a POS.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim In Tnn.
What is wrong with the Leupold LPS?
I have one along with several, VX III &
VARA-XIII I use the LPS on my primary hunting rifle. It is nice and clear ,excellent under low lite, maintaing "O"
and very rugged. I beleve it is just as effective as the 1500$ Euro. scopes.
I am well pleased with all of my leupold optics scopes, bio & spotting scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 31 bertram:
I for one read all the advertisements for weeks, "be prepared to be eclipsed" and "this will revolutionize the way you think about rifle scope optics" or something to that effect. If those guys at the marketing dept. ever loose their job with leupold, I think they'd make excellent politicians.

What will be the new sales slogan, "Bend over, here it comes"?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody somewhere is bound to like it. Remember the Edsel?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although most of us are not optical engineers, I think most would agree that grinding a piece of a lens away would reduce performance compared to the same lens left "in the round". Add to that a premium price tag and you have a recipe for a flop. I looked at it when first introduced and laughed. However, for those who believe that any scope is "shockproof", maybe the VX-L is worth considering.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in TN:

Really Eeker And you base this on? You have one with a problem? I am totally happy with mine. I find the clarity to be excellent. It's home is on my 300 Win Mag, and with it's QD mounts it has seen secondary service on my 416 Rem Mag with no issues. I consider it one of the best scopes for the $$.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in TN:

Really Eeker And you base this on? You have one with a problem? I am totally happy with mine. I find the clarity to be excellent. It's home is on my 300 Win Mag, and with it's QD mounts it has seen secondary service on my 416 Rem Mag with no issues. I consider it one of the best scopes for the $$.

He very well may have. Production ceased on LPS for awhile because of erector assembly problems. A completely new assembly was made and the line was re-introduced.

If you have one of these original LPS scopes Leupold will swap it out for a new one to this day.

IMO, the LPS is a fine scope worthy of any hunting rifle.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Terry, when was the problem encountered?

Thanks

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
When the LPS was first introduced. I've been told shortly after the scopes hit the street problems started to arise. Leupold being the company it is has taken care of anyone with one of these scopes.

Keep in mind this isn't a swipe at Leupold. Happens all the time in the automotive industry and usually takes a lawsuit to make them fix their stuff. Mad

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I think the problem with the VX-L is you are getting a VX-III with a 50% price premium just to mount the scope lower.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one a LPS 1.5-6. It didn't last 20 rounds before you could hear parts rattling on the inside. Leupold replaced it with a new one that I sold at a $400 Loss. Kinda soured me on new Leupolds. The new 2.5-10's are probably pretty good scopes but Once bitten.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It flopped for me the minute I saw it.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put one on my mashburn and my brother put one on his 300 ultra mag and so far we love them

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing about the VX-L scopes that soured my grits was the price tag. If they had introduced them with a price more comparable to other American made quality optics I might have tried one. The only negative feedback I have seen on them is from the same old crowd that always BAHs on anything new whether it be a gun or some other different piece of equipment; i.e. the WSMs. When you own one and find fault with em then maybe I'll give you a listening ear.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to own something that I don't even like the looks of and I have nothing with a 50-56 mm objective. Apparently a lot of folks didn't get excited by it or the short mags either for that matter. I don't necessarily think they were a bad idea, at least the .270 WSM kind of fills a hole, just not much room for another .300 Mag or 7Mag.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
at least the .270 WSM kind of fills a hole, just not much room for another .300 Mag or 7Mag.

Exactly

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote