New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold in Griffin & Howe mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't have enough elevation to zero my 2 x 7 leupold in Griffin & Howe mounts, need to come up 2" to zero and I like to be 2" high at 100yds. called leupold and told me if I had too much windage it would reduce elevation, don't think that is the case. Question is do you think the elevation should be maxed out 2" low at 100 yds? I think the rear ring could be shimmed but rather not , shouldN't matter but on a pre-64 action douglass barrel in 6.5 x 55 . have another 2 x 7 to try but would like to hear some opinions. Thanks

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would be inclined to ask a skilled gunsmith to try to sort the matter out, as those mounts are apparently worth too much to wreck.

You need to have the reticle more-or-less in the scope centre, even with modern scopes, to avoid the possibility of misses because of head position, optical aberration or wear on the erector tube from scraping past the windage screw, though the latter problem might be more likely if you ran out of clicks at the other end.

You never know, the other scope might just get you to the zero. I use mostly old reticle-movement scopes, which must be mounted straight for aesthetic reasons as well, and have noticed differences in mounting scopes from the same factory in the same rings.

To wit, I put a Nickel Marburg 2.5x on an Anschutz .22 and needed a shim to get the elevation right. It was very accurate but I found the power just a tad low for distant rabbits. So, I replaced it with another Nickel, a much later 3-10x42, which lined up perfectly with no shim.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LIke Sambarman said I use the scope bases and rings to sight in my scopes, after I set my adjustment center to the scope field. Any fine tune adjustment I do with the scope...I want the scope cross hairs in the optical center of the scope field. If one gets a scope sighted in on the edge of his adjustments you can bet it won't hold adjustments very long, and you can bet the shooter will go nuts trying to fix the damn gun!! Not written in stone but more often than not.

I, personally, would probably sell the G&H set up and buy a new set of talleys, Leupold, Redfelds, or Weavers to replace them...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What model is your Leupold 2-7? If it is an older Vari-X or Var-XII in 2-7x by 28mm or possibly the later series ultralight in 28mm, they have extremely limited Windage and Elevation adjustment available.

A Vari-XIIc in 33mm or later series 33mm is much brighter with much more Windage and Elevation adjustment available.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
talked with Griffin & Howe advised to shim base of rear ring.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.