New
Find
Notify
Tools

binocs with glasses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you who wear glasses...do you use binocs with your glasses on or off and why? If while on, what reasonably priced binocs have you found to work well? If while off, how have you been able to make this work given your vision impairment(s)?

I don't like using binocs with my glasses on, but I can't seem to see through them well enough to take my glasses off.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stevie, I have worn glasses for almost 50 years now and with my stigmatism I cannot take my glasses off and look through binoculars with a clear picture. Because of this I find that I need binoculars with at least 17mm of eye relief. that is about the distance from the front of my glasses to my eye. Don't let somebody sell you binoculars just because the rubber eye cups fold down and say they are good for some one who wear's glasses. If they are any good they will tell you the eye relief.

Posts: 40 | Location: Enfield CT. | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
It is easier to leave glasses on but I have found that they fog up in cold conditions which is rather a pain in the a$*^.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always had binoculars that had long eye relief because I wear glasses.However getting real long eye relief binos is difficult .I decided to upgrade one of mine and on the way is a Bushnell Elite 8x43. I'll give a report when I get it .A similar one is the Steiner Peregrine. They both have 19-20 mm eye relief .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stevie, check out Pentax Sport Optics. I have two pair, an 8X42 DCF II and the newer model 8X43 DCF SP. Both have 22mm eye relief. I use them with my glasses on and these Pentax binoculars have worked out the best for me.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I use binocs with glasses.

You need to avoid pushing the glasses toward your face to avoid fogging.

In critical light conditions I take the glasses off and reset the diopter correction into the binoc.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I was looking at the Pentax that MCM300 mentioned. Seem to be reasonably priced. I realyl don't want to spend a small fortune on a pair of binocs.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
about the cheapest binocs you can get that have the right eyerelief for an eyeglass wearer are the nikon monarch ATB's, most of the higher end jap and german glass have at least 17-18mm of eyerelief, looked through some zeiss a while back they are only speced at 16mm and those worked great for me

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I too have worn glasses for 45+ years and the best binos I have found to be used while wearing glasses is an old set of Nikon 7x50 tropical. I bought mine in 1982 at the NX at Subic Bay in the PI. Looked at a lot of country in a lot far and distant places. No problems, but when it is cold you have to breath through your mouth or they will fog over.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote