New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris scopes????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't bought a rifle scope in a few years. I was looking at a new Burris at the store the other day, and on the bottom of the scope there was a sticker saying it was made in the phillipines!

When did this start? And the price was the same as the ones with no phillipine sticker. bewildered

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell who makes what or where nowadays...it's a very dynamic industry. I had read that some higher end Burris and Pentax scopes made in the US were the same. Most scopes are supplied by OEM's based on customer specs. Unless you're in the industry, it's very difficult to know what pieces of a scope are made by who, or where they're made and/or assembled. As usual, you typically get what you pay for. Some Nikon scopes are made in the Phillipines, and they're fine. The now discontinued Simmons Whitetail Expedition scopes were made in at least two different countries, and are actually decent scopes. They were relatively expensive as Simmons scopes go. Again, you get what you pay for(ususally)!

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
The only scopes made in the Phillipines is 3 models in the Fullfield line. Made there cuz the Burris factory in Colo. can't keep up with the orders, they're thinking of going with 2 shifts, or Larry(CS) was thinking they should, anyway. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nikons are made in the Phillipines as well, and are good scopes.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better stay the hell away from Burris. Flame away at me if you want, but they are garbage, their warranty service is garbage. Save your pennies and get you something better...you will be happier in the long run.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had GREAT luck with my one and only warranty claim on a Burris. It had bad parralax. I called into a tech and he didn't bat an eye...said send it in and we'll get it fixed. Had it back in 10 days from when I sent it out.
Figuring 2-3 days ea way shipping I was VERY HAPPY.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we have sent 2 burris scopes back, and had them repaired for free and were back within 1 week. One of them I purchased broken for a great price,..sent it back and had the reticle upgraded to the BMD reticle, and they gave me new turret covers and bikin cover as well.

Awesome company, great optics. I sold my vari-x III's a few years back and replaced them with Burris signature series, could not be happier.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since Burris is now owned by Berreta... they are going to have stuff made whereever they can get a good deal on manufacturing.. and turn a good profit....

as long as their quality doesn't decline...

I myself was looking at their new XTR tactical scope...for a long long ranged 6mm Remington I am having set up.. waiting for the new stock at the moment...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
My track record with Burris is not to good..50% of the scopes I bought a grand total of six across all their lines had to go back. Their customer disservice department is without peer.

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 burris signiture scopes, 2 with lighted rets. all bought used only one has had to go back, it was returned in 10 days as good as new with a free set of zrings.

have 2 burris scout scopes,,,no problems

and 4 burris FF2 scopes no problems with them either,,,

last and oldest is a burris air rifle scope that has taken the pounding of a Beeman R1 mag for 10 years, and was old when I got it.

I fif have a reallll old fullfield that I fell on and dented the tube then it leaked and fogged up,,,they couldn't fix it so the gave me a real good discount on a new one. Not bad considering my fat ass broke it in the first place.

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote