New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Monarc Gold and recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will the Monarc Gold handle the recoil from a 375 Ruger over time?
I have one in 1,5-6x42 that sits on a 35 Whelen right now, and I really like the field of view and the generous eye relief.

Or shall I go the safe way with a 2,5-8x36 VariX III ?
Both have the same "4 reticle.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally don't think that you will have a problem with the Monarch Gold on the .375. I should hold up to the recoil with no problem.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had my Nikons on anything stouter than a .243, but it impresses me as very well built stuff, and I would not hesitate to put it on a big caliber rifle.

In fact, I found a used 1.5-4.5x Monarch for so cheap I had to buy it a couple of ago in anticipation of putting it on a .416 or .458. (The .375 already had a Conquest.) But the rifle has not yet been purchased so I have not first hand experience to report.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner had one on his 300 Win Ruger Nr. 1. This was an older Monarch and it did not like the recoil. He had it repaired twice (excellent customer service). We both pretty much considered it a fluke and have a few friends that use them on harder kickers with no problems. I'll be putting a Monarch 4-16x42 on my 257 Wby. I did put a Leupold VX-III on my 338-378 however. There is no question that they'll take the punishment. My hunting partner also put a Leupold on his 300 and moved the Monarch to an '06. I have no doubt that the Monarch will work well on my 257. My '06 is a light rifle and wears a Buckmaster which has had no issues what so ever.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will not have any problem with the 1.5-6x42mm Monarch Gold. I have one on my T/C Encore 12 guage, and one on my Savage muzzel loader. By the way, in the Savage I have shot a lot of 300gr Hornady XTP's at 2300 fps and have not had a problem.

Posts: 40 | Location: Enfield CT. | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Mount the scope properly, and you will have no problems. The Monarchs are among the best you'll find in anything under $1K.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys.
Guess I´ll give it a try then.
As I said, I really like this scope.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote