THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bases & Rings for pre-64 M70 magnum action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Currently have Leupold QR rings and the extension bases on my pre-64 300 H&H. They are starting to bug me - nothing from a performance stand point, I just don't like the way they hang over the bolt. Leupold told me that these were the only bases that they sell that will fit the pre-64 magnum action. Suggestions?

I would REALLY like a QR set up so I can remove my scope if I want or it is necessary but my primary concern is getting them off the top of the bolt.

Thanks

Posts: 871 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Talley and Warne.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doublegun,
Let me know what you find. I have the same rifle and the same mounts. All I could find for the Pre64 300 H&H. Also has a Zeiss Conquest and the bolt knob is quite close to the occular bell. I used medium rings, perhaps tall would help a bit but like to keep the scope as low as possible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Talley makes M-70 bases with the .330 hole spacing. They are a major step up quality wise over the Leupolds. You can order them with or without the levers.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Called Talley and got the scoop - they have them. However, I am not sure that the QR will do anything for me. They sit about 1/4" above the "front receiver ring" - and that is about the same (maybe a little higher) than the Leupold Rings.
Here is the order information:

252704 bases
500003 rings

I would REALLY like to find QR rings and bases that would enable me to remove my scope and shoot with the iron sights but it looks like that is not going to be possible.

Other suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithrjd:
Doublegun,
Let me know what you find. I have the same rifle and the same mounts. All I could find for the Pre64 300 H&H. Also has a Zeiss Conquest and the bolt knob is quite close to the occular bell. I used medium rings, perhaps tall would help a bit but like to keep the scope as low as possible.

I have the same problem with the knob and the bell on my 300 H&H and also on my 3006 with the medium rings. I really would not want to go with the highs though.

One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are starting to bug me - nothing from a performance stand point, I just don't like the way they hang over the bolt.

I take it the Leupold QR bases will be the same deal on the 308 & 30-06 Pre-64 actions.

Anyone have any pic's of these or the setup. Just curious how they sit.

Thanks in advance,

340 Smiler

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just put Talley rings & bases on a 300 H&H pre64 M-70 Supergrade that I recently purchased. The bases do not hang over the receiver.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up using Buehler rings and bases on my 70-300h&h. I had to buy the blank bases and match drill them to the gun as the factory holes were a bit off center. I don't believe they hang over at all. Leupold might sell you blanks then you could position as you like?
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Usually for the M70 I would use Burris mounts, they don't hang over the ejection port.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote