New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dual Power Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you have dual power binocolars? I am interested in the Leupold version and others sell them as well.

What do you think of them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
A while back I took a hard look at the Leica 8 to 12X binos. Well not 8 "to" 12 but 8 "and 12.

They worked very good, however I opted for the Leica 8x with the built in rangefinder.

I really like them...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
many years back i had aset, i think they were bushnell, elcheapos anyway, they were quite handy being able to scan on low power and then flick to high power to study something. as i recall it you give up some of the clarity to get the 2 powers

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They sound like a gimmick created to attract a certain segment of the market that is attracted by gimmicks. But I could be completely wrong and would like to hear from someone who is using them successfully.

In the meantime, does anybody have one of those "Widefield" scopes with the TV screen shaped ocular lens for sale? They give you a much wider field of view, you know.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to where gunwriter John Barsness uses dual power binoculars.

Dual Power link

one of us
posted Hide Post
I regard Barsness as one of the more dependable writers and appreciate that he apparently regards the dual power binocular as more than just a gimmick.

However, I don't think that the extra weight, extra cost, and more complicated mechanics (and the opporutunity for mechanical failure that goes with it) can justify the dual power instrument. But then I don't even like the extra baggage of center focus knobs, so I'm sure I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to binoculars.

It may not be fair to compare dual power binoculars to Widefield scopes, nor are they at all in the category of Rube Goldberg devices like "see-thru" scope mounts. But I don't think they can ever match a fixed power binocular for utility and practicality. Like the Bushnell Command Post, they sound like a good idea, but I suspect like the Command Post, they are an idea that the market will not quite embrace in the long term.

Now, where's my Leupold VX-L with the divot in the bottom half of the objective lens? I know I put it somewhere around here . . .

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Leupold 7X to 12X 32 mm roof prism binoculars and I have them here. I compared them to the Hensoldt 8X x 56mm Nacht Dialyt binoculars that I have had for many decades and the Leupold 8 x 42 Pinnacles.

These switch power binoculars enable me to make out what something is that the older 8X binoculars can't resolve. They are very very easy to use and there are no take backs including size or weight!

Leupold Switch Power Technology

John Barsness on Duovids (switch power binoculars)

They are also very good with eyeglasses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Switch Power binoculars are working out fine. They are the most useful and comfortable binoculars that I have ever used.

The 'surprise' to me is how handy yet sharp they are for such a small, light easy to carry binocular.

I feel comfortable with them to carry and take along almost no matter what.

On the takeback side they are expensive. Cheaper binoculars do work for me but these are indeed better.