Find
Notify
Tools

QR vs standard scope mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of onespeedbiker
posted
I recently upgraded the scope on my Savage AXIS ll 308 rifle with Leupold American Select; the original was a Bushnell Kaspa. I'm not really up on scope rings and mounts and I ended up buying Leupold PRW rings with Leupold QRW mounts; the rings mounted centered and secure. Still, am I missing something by using QR mounts, rather than standard mounts, with my permanent rings, or will either work about the same?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some type of quick detachable rings on most all my rifles, including those without sights. I find it handy for switching scopes, removing them for travel, and at times for cleaning.

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some "quick removable" mounts are questionable as to their strength and repeatability. However, the Leupolds you mention are probably as good as non-QR mounts on these issues. I have Leupold QR mounts on a .300 WBY and have had no issues.

That said, I've never removed the scope from the gun. Never found a reason to do so and don't expect to in the future.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would start by asking, why does a shooter want or need QR mounts?

I think the old German QR detachable mounts may have had three or four ideas behind them:
1) sticking up on high mounts, their scopes were vulnerable to bumping; 2) because 6x scopes were very common, hunters needing to administer a coup de gras, felt they could not see well enough through the scope at close range; 3) because hard cases were rare, it made sense to remove a scope before travelling; 4) installing 'claw' mounts had to be done with extreme care, making a nice little earner for gunsmiths, whereby prominent dealers would not even mention full-ring American-type mounts in any context except .22RF.

The old US QR mounts like those by Griffin & Howe probably shared some of those considerations but American hunters soon came to trust fixed mounts enough to know QR mounts are not really needed for most purposes. Though some hunters may see them as as an extra dollop of cream on the cake, the main application would seem to be dangerous-game rifles, where recoil can lead to a rapid wearing of the modern erector tube assembly. If this wear suddenly manifests itself while on safari or the scope is bumped hard while on the track of game, the quickest solution is to rip it off and use 'iron' sights.

To what extent exposed levers are needed, I don't know. I was content to carry a coin (best flattened on one edge) with which I could remove the old Redfield mounts (like Leupold STD) quick enough for most situations.

Were they still available, the old Bausch & Lomb 'Custom' mounts would be my favorite QR type, if only because the spring-loaded cradle (giving rebound from bumps) and lack of clockwork in their scopes reduced the likelihood of ever needing to remove the sight.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several sets of Warne QD ring sets for a variety of rifles from .22 Hornet to .338/300 RUM. Originally my reasoning was to use one expensive very high quality scope with repeatable turret adjustments on a variety of rifles instead of buying a pile of dedicated $400 scopes. Safe space used to be at a premium too, so one optic stored out of the way in a small box jammed full of rifles was a matter of convenience and thrift.

After some prone/field position type matches where there is a lot of wind-blown dirt/sand I find the QD mounts allow for much easier cleaning of a barreled action too. There are also considerations for packaging for transportation. Airline baggage throwers can abuse the rifle-box, but I can pack my optics in carry-on luggage; one less thing to get damaged, lost or stolen.

Repeatability for re-mounting has been very reliable, so long as the scope mounts are all in the same plane; no Pringles™ chip arrangements. One Rem 700 with a single-piece scope base was screwed down despite there being a noticeable gap at the rear. This caused a distortion such that different torque on the DQ levers yielded a different point of aim, so being consistent with thumb pressure was a challenge. I epoxy-bedded this base to be 'stress-free' and now it's no problem.

It's usually easy to check if the bases are straight with a straight-edge along the mounting surfaces. If they're uneven, then you're likely to have POA repeatability issues regardless of QD system manufacturer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Leo QR mounts on two different.416 Rem Mags.

They both held their zeroes perfectly on 3 trips to Africa and back.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Mon, 25 Dec 2017 21:40:58 GMT-0800', '26 December 2017 09:40')+'</nobr>');26 December 2017 09:4026 December 2017 09:40I recently upgraded the scope on my Savage AXIS ll 308 rifle with Leupold American Select; the original was a Bushnell Kaspa. I'm not really up on scope rings and mounts and I ended up buying Leupold PRW rings with Leupold QRW mounts; the rings mounted centered and secure. Still, am I missing something by using QR mounts, rather than standard mounts, with my permanent rings, or will either work about the same?

I assume what your calling the mount is the base that goes between the rifle and scope. The base for QRW and PRW rings is the same. These rings will fit any Weaver/Picatinny base.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote