New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minox Binoculars any good???????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a pair of 10X42 or 43`s.I have no experience with them.I would like the Swarovski SL`s ,but that aint gonna happen.So I guess I am looking for the best bang for my buck under a grand!!!! Thanks ahead,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of 10x43 Minox BD-BL last fall. I am very happy with them. Other than the lense covers being trash, they are pretty good glass, especially for their price range.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the 15x58 HD's and the glass is great for the price.

Leica's made in Japan!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Minox 6.5x32's that I like a lot, and my son has the same ones and is happy with them. We don't have the long distance viewing and shooting the guys out west have, so the 6.5's are about right for hunting the "swamp".
Not too sure, but IIRC Minox makes and "HG" binox in 10x. That HG gets great reviews by guys who own and use them, hunters. I think a call to Doug at Camera Land will put you right as he has with me in the past purchases.
Good luck, and keep us posted on what you buy.

Don

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The Minox are excelent in thier price range and get you very close to Swaro's

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
I have an older 9,5x40 Minox and love them. Clear and plenty bright.

In case you have not studied them they are a sister company to Leica. Minox was based in Lithuania pre war and when the German troops took over the country the also took over the company and moved it to Germany because they were impressed with the Minox glass. Thats a big slap on the back coming from the Germans because they had excellent glass for rifle scopes, artillery field pieces, subs and binoculars.

I like mine.

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of the 10x43 HG's from Doug at cameraland, and I'm blown away.

They were the demo "meters" model, and no way were they ever taken out of the factory packaging. It was such a good deal I feel like I stole them.

They're light and very clear, and feel stout enough for abuse.

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have bought six binocs from Doug in the last two years: he is great, and stands behind his sales.

I bought four binocs for our SCI fund raiser, one 6.5X for my d-i-l to use hunting and most recently the 8X33 HG for me. I talked to a Minox marketing rep at SHOT '06 when I first looked at the HG. He says their strategy is to get within a few percent of the Big Euro glass at half the price.

Also Minox is now independent of Leica.

The other option is to go with the high end Pentax bino, they are excellent too.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are Leica made in Japan?

Now that Minox is independent of Leica, where are Minox made or assembled at? What country makes the len's?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I looked at a pair of 10X43`s at a local Sporting goods store.Indeed they are nice for the money and I will order a Demo pair from Camera Land.Thanks for all the good input. thumb OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
Are Leica made in Japan?

Now that Minox is independent of Leica, where are Minox made or assembled at? What country makes the len's?

Minox HQ is Wetzlar, Germany.

I have not heard of Japanese production of Leica. I understand their glass is European.

Big Business in the Worldwide mode can shift stuff around though, and not bother to inform us folks.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I also bought a pair of Minox 15x58 HD's from Doug and am exceedingly pleased and all my other binoculars and spotting scopes are Zeiss and Swarovski.

What does that tell you? <grin>

Plus Doug is a class act and you'll find yourself returning to him time and again for mor optics. His prices are the best around and he's a true gentleman that appreciates your business and let's you know it.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:
Plus Doug is a class act and you'll find yourself returning to him time and again for mor optics. His prices are the best around and he's a true gentleman that appreciates your business and let's you know it.

$bob$

Amen!! I've bought 5 pairs of binox from Doug, and can not say enogh of good things about him. All 5 of the binox were at my door 3 days after ordering them, and I live in the boonies.
I'll be ordering more from Doug.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my 10X43`s came in today.They were supposed to be from SCI or NRA Show,but looked as if they had never been out of THE BOX.I am happy to have taken the good advice given here and am pleased with them.They are much lighter than my 7X42 SLC`s.A lot of Bino for the money
!!!!! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re where manufactured, i have no idea of the connection between Leica and Minox.

My Leica LRF800 range finder is made in Portugal. Not Germany but still in Europe!

Apo Televid 77 spotting scope is Germany including the NZ$300 (aboutUS$200!) carry bag that is an extra.

Ultravid 10x25BR Binos are also Portugal.

I am guessing but suspect the lenses are made in Germany and the rest is made and assembled in Portugal.

You may have guessed that I like Leica!

As long as they keep up the quality I would be fine if assembled anywhere in world.

Friend has the Minox and they are excellent too.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can find no markings indicating where they are made.The lenses are made by Schott in Germany,but could be assembled anywhere.I would think if assembled in Germany it would be displayed as such on the Bino!!!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: I bought a pair of Minox HG (High Grade) 8.5X43s. They are excellent. I worked until retirement for over
30 years as a Professional Big Ship's Navigator...I used binoculars every day in my occupation looking at
sea horizon, ships,coasts...whatever needed to be viewed...but binoculars were part of my daily life...
And am aquainted with many types...I would say the Minox HG's are top notch...and a great deal if you can
buy one as a "demo" from Cameraland NY.
A friend who was a bincoular fanatic...had several top end brands...all the big names...Swarovski, Zeiss,
Leica, Nikon...etc. We spent some time comparing...changing from one top brand to another..you know...
once you get up in the upper ranks...there's not an awful lot of difference that you can actually see.
They are all pretty close in optical viewing quality.
I like a glass to be good in low light conditions, like twilight times when hunting...as lots of game about
then. The Minox HG fits the bill as they are very bright, and perform well in marginal low light conditions.
I think they are a great bargain...I have the 8.5x43 model...some will like the 10.43, but I find holding
the 10X glass difficult...the normal shakiness at 10X takes away some of the viewing quality...I can see
better with the 8X glass. Most amateurs go for the higher magnifications...but those of us who use them
over a lifetime, prefer lower magnification...but better viewing. What good is more power, magnification,
if it can't be used as effectively? 8.5X is plenty...if more is wanted, go to a stabilized binocular.
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Excellent post, and it's from your experiences which adds validity to what you say.
I've read lots of good things about the HG's on different Forums, and if I was in the market for a pair in that power range, the HG's would get the nod.
I especially appreciated your comments about using lower powered binox as opposed to the 10x's. The 6.5x32 Minox binox I bought from Doug at Camera Land are just perfect for hunting; easy to use, good field of view, and good eye relief for us old guys who wear glasses. It's just too difficult using 10x binox unsupported, hand held, no matter how good the glass.
Interestingly, my youngest son got his hands on the first set of 6.5x32 Minox binox I bought from Doug, and he loved them so much that I gave them to him for his birthday. So, I bought a second pair.
My neighbor here in snowland plowed my driveway all winter and wouldn't take any money for doing it. Since he's a hunter, I bought him a pair of the Minox 6.5's from Doug as a thank you for all the plowing he did. Now, every time I see him, he runs up and thanks me for the binox; he loves them.
My driveway is about 50 yards long...So you know how much plowing he did.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree that The lower magnifaction is easier to hold steady.I have a pair of 7X42 SLCS that I will keep.These 10X43`s are almost 10oz lighter a big consideration when hunting The Mountains at my ahhh mature age.I wanted the 10 power,because it will help me judge wether or not a stalk is warranted on a animal.This way I avoid packing my Spotting scope and can bring a small tripod instead.I have also found that while looking for game if I sit down and lock my elbows onto the Top of the upper potion of my knees ,I can hold steady for long periods of time.I would not go above 10X as I feel that is as high as I can comfortably glass with.My hunting partner has a pair of 10X42 SL`s.On a hunt last fall.I noticed how superior they were for Judging Trophy quality.So thats why I bought these. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMB: Thanks for the comment & info on the 6.5x32 Minox's...I have been looking closely at those & had been thinking about a pair...you've convinced me!
Another top notch binocular...not well known...my Binocular Fanantic Friend had a pair that I bought from him...is an IOR Military Spec type...its a 7X40...made in Romania (don't let that bother you)...to Zeiss specs
with Zeiss glass...all the best technics...look it up in a search engine...IOR...fantastic glasses. The only
drawbacks (to some)...would be they are fairly heavy..built like a tank...and are individual focus...not I'm usually not a fan of individual focus, but with this pair it works just right. It gives excellent depth of field,
which is a plus (+) when hunting as you can scan a pretty good area without constantly focusing...most don't think about depth of field...and in the higher maganifications are less & less. IOR was (is) a top notch optics company...not a big name here, as this company was veiled in secretcy from what I understand, but the other European Optical Companies know them very well. I don't know if this is true, but its said it was the very same model used in former East Germany by the Berlin Wall Guards...they may have had the Zeiss name, but same optics as this IOR one.
And..I think a very good choice...Canon makes "IS" (Image Stabilized) binocs. I was curious & bouth the smallest (read compact) model...the 8x25 Image Stabilized. Excellent optics & when you hold the stabilized button, it steadies up very nicely. Also, the compactness & lightness is handy. I use them more & more when I
want to take a binocular along. Pretty inexpensive...I think about $150 on sale..? Forget now, but fairly low price..I have tried Image Stabilized binocs that were so heavy & awkward, like holding a pair of bricks...but these are in contrast, light & easy to hold. A good viewing glass at 8X stabilized.
Best Regards,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Good info. Thanks.
The 6.5x32 Minox binox are individual focus, just so you are aware. Once set, they are fine.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of 7x42 SLCs also, at 34oz they are pretty heavy. While I love how clear they are I've been thinking of going to something lighter and would love to look through a pair of the 8.5x43 HGs.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
I've got a pair of 7x42 SLCs also, at 34oz they are pretty heavy. While I love how clear they are I've been thinking of going to something lighter and would love to look through a pair of the 8.5x43 HGs.

Mark,

I don't know what the HG's weigh, maybe Tom can fill you in on that.
But, the 6.5x32's weigh 20 oz, which is right on for me.
The HG's are a higher class of binox than the ones I have, with excellent glass per those who own them.
Now, if I could just find a girlfriend to pass off my 6.5's to, I'd get some HG's.. Big Grin Of course I'd get them back for Deer season....

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of HG 10X52's from Doug...also 6.5X32's both are really good..both are going to africa with me in a week or so. The 6.5's will be my 'in the jesse glasses,' 10X52's for birding and waterhole's. I also own and use leica 8X42's, pentax DCF SP 12.5X50 and even nikon ATB 10X42's [old, now my truck glasses]

One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, the HG 8.5x43 BR Minox weighs about 650 grams or 26 ounces. Pretty light weight for a full size binocular! I've been close to buying a pair from Doug, but missed out on the metric show samples which were a really good deal. "He who hesitates is lost"!!!!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Recently purchased the Minox BL 8x42 BR from Doug.
I've never owned a good pair of Bino's. I've been very pleased with these. Bright, crisp and no eye strain.

lc