New
Find
Notify
Tools

help with Warne premier rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys I recently pciked up two sets of warne premier rings that fit their premier bases. They seem to be different styles and I was wondering if you guys could tell be about them and the different warne premier offerings.

One pair is aluminum with steel pieces on the bottom to attach to the base.

The second set is all steel but the, locking lug I guess youd call it is only on one side on the bottom.

Thanks

[URL= ]Warne Steel[/URL][URL= ]Warne Alum[/URL]

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
On the Warne QD rings and bases that I have the "lock lug" goes all the way across... The type you are showing here are made for specific rifles. The half "lug" is designed to fit that manufacturers receiver rail.

The bases on mine are the Weaver style by the way...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you keep the little piece of metal from falling out when you detach the scope? I just got some detachable Warne rings for my Encore muzzleloader and was not happy to find that this piece of metal needs to be looked after.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Small fish,

The recoil key will only come out if the ring is dismantled... In other words the "release" side of the ring needs to be detached in order to remove the key... If yours is coming out I imagine it isn't put together correctly...

All of this is assuming you are referring to their QD rings and not the grooved receiver rings which are also quick detach... Those pictured above are the grooved receiver type...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ring on the left is the original "Premier" style which used a specific base. I believe these rings have been discontinued. The one on the right with the inserted bar is the Maxima style. It fits on a Weaver dimensioned base as does the Leupold QWR and PWR. Totally different bases for each. The old Premiers are quality and the new style are not IMHO. Buy Talleys!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine are Maxima rings. How are they not put together correctly?

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Premiers were probably better. I have had no problem though with the other type.

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small Fish: I have seen three instances where the bar on the Maxima was broken on higher recoiling guns. On one it appeared to have widened the slot it fits into just prior to breaking. My gunsmith has seen the same problem with some Leupold QRW rings particularly on big Weatherby rifles.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Hey small fish,

LJS said it well with the groove being wider then the key... I guess "not put together correctly" was a bad choice of words...

Since mine are mounted on a big Weatherby I guess we'll see how durable they are... So far I've only have about 40 rounds through it and all is well, but that is only 40 rounds...

Obviously if I see any issues cropping up I will post them here...

Ken....