THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Swarovski EL binocs: All they are cranked up to be?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski EL binocs: All they are cranked up to be?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a nice pair of Zeiss Victory 8x40's that are about 4 years old...supposed to be very good back then, and they really are. They set me back about $900 back then. I am considering about upgrading to the Swaro EL's in the 8x42 configuration. Any thoughts on how the $1800 Swaros might compare? My primary consideration is "last light" and if the Swaros might be any better in your opinion.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 8.5x42 ELs and a pair of Victory IIs 8x40. In a direct comparison, the ELs are better, no doubt about it. But I happily use my Victory IIs in the field, and never think about the difference. So, does that make the ELs worth the extra $$$?? Only you can tell, really. I would be perfectly happy to hunt with either.

(I should say, I have not compared the two in low light conditions. That is the realm of the 56mm binocs here in Central Europe...)

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i upgraded from leicas 10x40 to swaro 10x40;s mostly because my wife goes along and i wanted here to have a decent set for her so i gave her the leicas. I find the swaro's to give a brighter image, but other than that, not enough to warrant calling it an upgrade.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 8x32 El's and I had a pair of Leica Ultravids both 8x42 and 8x32. To my eyes the El's were just a tiny bit more resolving when viewing in the shadows. Probably because they may be a bit towards the yellow side of neutral. I sold the Leica 8x32 and kept the Swaros.

You might look at the Zeiss Fl's. You can get them for a bit less than the Swaros and they are very bright and ultra clear. I have a pair in 10x42 and really like them. They also have a lifetime transferable warranty. Of course I have sent used Swaro products back and even though I wasn't the original owner they fixed them for free.
If you are looking to spend $1800 you might think about the new Leica HD's. With the addition of of the Floride they may just be the new number one.

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hank,

I had a pair 10x42 El's never like them just wasn't working for me for long viewing time. Bought a pair of Zeiss FL 10x42 a couple of years ago and don't know about comparing the two since I sold the EL's before buying the Zeiss but they are working great.

borntohunt

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That's a rough question. Of course, if I had the extra cash lying around to buy them I would (who wouldn't), but were I shopping for a pair of top of the line binos, they might not make the list.

My dad has a pair of 10x42's that he purchased some years ago, and while they are simply astonishing to look through (yes, really), he got them when the dollar/euro exchange rate was a little more favorable. I seem to remember him saying he paid $1300 for them, rather than the $1900 they're getting now. Given the current price, he said he wouldn't buy them again. There are many equally good competitors at significantly less (Kahles, for one) that offer 98% of the performance.

They're pricey, and worth it if you've got the cash, but there are a lot of other choices that will leave you extra $$ for other things.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I don't currently have them anymore, but I had a pair of 8.5x42 ELs and I didn't care for them.

I am using a pair of 8.5x58 Nikons now. I like the eye releif on the Nikons more than I liked the complete lack of eye releif on the Swaros.

When my financial situation is better I will own a pair of Leica 10x50s.

I also own a pair of Burris Signature 2 10x50s. Not quite crap, but I wish I had the 10x58 Nikons instead.

If you wear glasses you really need to try the ELs before you buy. I didn't like the lack of eye releif. Especially for the $1200 I paid.

You know I sold them on Ebay 2 years later for $1200.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,
You brought up a good point and that is the Swaro's hold their value - almost to the penny. About the only optics I can think of that do.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the other thing about swaro is that if you have trouble the warranty and customer service is outstanding,in my experience with leica theirs is worthless

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote