Find
Notify
Tools

Rail Mount Scope Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I just picked up a Mauser M03. It came with a Zeiss Conquest and ring mounts, but I intend to also get a rail mounted scope.

I've looked at the Swarovski and Zeiss in the 42-50mm objective size (30mm tubes). I prefer 40-44 mm objectives, but might go 50mm if I try it first.

Between the two, which company has the best rail mount scope?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Between the two, which company has the best rail mount scope?

It is six of one and half a dozen of the other. The Swaro mount is a copy of the (original) Zeiss internal rail mount. Swaro added "teeth" to the original Zeiss design. I have both types and have not noticed any difference in practice.

Pick the scope you like, and make sure you buy a model with the rail mount. You'll be more than pleased.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
thanks!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3060 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
If You like to say that the Swarovski rail is a copy: so WHY did they got a patent on it (for a patent it must be NEW) - and if You look twice there is a huge difference in function:

Zeiss transfers the recoil by friction, while Swarovski transfers it by geometry - the difference is immense as there can´t anything slip with the SR-rail. with heavy recoil guns, the Zeiss rail could slip - but it does not occur very often, but it happens!

The bigger difference and weight of your choice should come with the mechanical AND OPTICAL qualities of your scope - and this let´s me personaly buy a Swarovski and no Zeiss anymore. Have a look though it, especially the high magnifition Z6(i) scopes with HD lenses and You would know what I mean - never seen such brilliant and crystal clear image in a scope!

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had been expectng that from you Klaus, true to form Wink

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I had been expectng that from you Klaus, true to form Wink

- mike

no other thing exspected from You Mike, but to say the SR-rail is a copy of the Zeiss could not be stayed like that - at least for the non-technical user or non-engineer, the fact that it is an own patent says enough that it is a new invention and not just a copy...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote