New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optical sight for a shotgun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the market for a red dot or holographic sight for my turkey gun, a 3 inch magnum 12 gauge...

There are SO many on the market, it's hard to know where to start...

I'm looking for a fairly low profile sight that would be bright in low light OR full light conditions that would stand up to the recoil of the magnum shotgun...

Any suggestions..??

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bushnell Holo site is a great one for a shotgun. They have several models available. I would avoid the ones that use N style batteries and stick with the AA powered models. I've had one for several years and its ridden everything from a 12 gauge slug gun to a .22 pistol without problems. ALso anything made by Aimpoint or EO are also first rate but more expensive.

Posts: 27 | Location: Southern Iowa | Registered: 30 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
Plus 1 on the Bushnell!!
I prefer a Eotech or Aimpoint, but the Bushnell unit is good to go!!

What part of Southern Iowa, Rich S.?

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Small Guy,

I've got two Red Dots.

An Aimpoint 2X 7000SC which is by far the best Red Dot sight I've ever used. It's on a Blaser R93 .375 H&H barrel it appears absolutely impervious to the recoil. Aimpoint are spendy though....

I've also got a Millett Red Dot sight on a 9.3x62 Mauser and it has stood up to the recoil of that cartidge just fine too. It's very good value for the money and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone else, either.

Optical sights are really popular here in Europe for Driven Hunts on Wild Boar & Red Deer. Some of my buddies use an Micro Dot Scope in 1.5-4.5x24 with it's Red Dot feature. I've handled them and seen what they can do, if I could get a resaonable price on one in the States I'd buy it right now - good stuff.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I put a cheapie chinese one on my sons 20 ga turkey gun but I would rather stick a 1.5 power scope on it. My issue with red dots in they are pretty tough to use if it is really bright and sunny out. It is not usually a problem with a turkey gun since you are usually using the gun in shade, but for a different application (say hunting rabbits in a cornfield) it would be a big time handicap IMHO.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote