Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on My New Sightron......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted
Well my big sky 4x16x42 arrived, first thing I noticed was a thinner duplex reticle compared to the conquests. I layed it in the mounts and it is quite a bit shorter than the 3.5x10 conquest that came off also, its not long enough for a 110 length action. OK put offset base on that hangs back over the action opening, now it has about 3/16" fore and back movement to adjust eye relief. Not perfect, but its a varmint scope so a little head moving is acceptable for getting a full sight picture, at higher power it is very critical and unforgiving for eye placement and the slightest bit to the side blacks out the sight picture. I took it up to the gunsmiths and we went out and layed the scope on a couple sandbags and looked at the 100yd target....it has the most unusual focus I've ever dealt with. It will look crisp and your eye will blurr and you have to look away to relax your eye, than it will look sharp again and just go foggy blurry as you are looking thru it. I had three other people look thru it to see if it was a quirk of my eyes (I don't have this problem with several vari x lll's and conquests as well as a 4200 elite). They all said it made their eye blurr and feel strained and odd after looking thru it for about 30 seconds. Next the benchrest shooter among the three mentioned he didn't like the fair amount of parallax in it although set for 100yds.......we fiddled and dicked with it for about an hour, it was never parrallax free but got down to about a 1/2" of parallax at the 140-170yd marks depending on who was looking thru it. No flare out towards the sun and nice outer finish. I'm not very happy with it since it is priced with the rest of the pack but optically not as resolute and definately not parallax free for a target/varmint scope going on a quarter inch gun. I tryed to call sightron but they closed at least an hour early I guess.I believe it has a pretty bad focus issue between the reticle lens and objective lens, same reason it won't adjust for parallax correctly. I'm sure sending it back would result in a corrected or new scope and these two problems would be resolved however, the short length that provides less scope mounting distance and the critical eye position would stay the same as well as the thinner duplex reticle. I'm afraid the conquests have spoiled me for bright resolute optics and their medium width etched z-plex reticle just works too much better in low or extremely bright light conditions. I would compare the big sky directly to the 4200 elite for reticle, looks, feel, and brightness with simply 1/2" more eye relief. The big sky does have an adjustable objective that doesn't turn the end of the scope....great for a flip-up cap on the end not turning with AO focus. I think most will be pleased with the big sky's providing they don't get a stinker like I did
Last interesting note was they advertise that they will give you a new scope if you have problems develop....never repaired......they call it a new replacement warranty. In the catalog it states a special warranty for a special scope, in the box with the scope they have a warranty disclosure that now states they will repair or replace at their decision. Thats the same as everyone else I know......Hmmmmmm... nobody made em' offer that replacement warranty and they use it everywhere they are advertising, but when you buy your given a slightly different story with the product. My gunsmith said it best when he got done looking thru it, he said "I'm unimpressed.....are these really supposed to be competing with the conquests and leupolds"?

Well I never used it and have had it one day so I think it will go back to the optics dealer and I'll pay the upgrade to get a 4.5x14x44 conquest. With the conquest I know what I'm getting and the lenses are better not to mention the lack of any mounting problems. I either got the mother of all lemons or they haven't got it right yet.You pay your money and you take your ride....I think I want off.......

Oh they got back with me (after hearing about my post about their scope on a forum optic site) and said they are willing to wave the $7.50 "handling" charge for returning a scope, said they would even pay the return shipping. I suggested they answer their phones during business hours (I tried seven times in the last hour they were open and held till I was disconnected each time)and that they eliminate charging someone $7.50 to return a defective scope to them.....it kind of reminded me of weaver....not leupold and zeiss. If they are gonna move into their terriority they better learn to offer competing service.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
OUCH...and double OUCH. Well just based on that sounds like they have the marketing down pat. Conquest or Leupold or Nikon Monarch seem to be my only viable choices ..unless I want to spend double the money once again

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
You know, I got no axe to grind with them at all.....never owned one of their scopes till now. I wish I could have went somewhere and handled and looked thru the scope before buying, up here that opportunity don't exist so I ordered one and took my chances. At near $500 they aren't cheap and making you pay a return handling fee after paying to ship it back for their inspection is not my idea of a fair policy. I've got nothing but good to say about my optics dealer....heck hes made a customer for life. On the other hand I'll stick with companies that offer service as well as quality for your money.....leupold and zeiss jump to mind.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, I got no axe to grind with them at all.....never owned one of their scopes till now. I wish I could have went somewhere and handled and looked thru the scope before buying, up here that opportunity don't exist so I ordered one and took my chances

I am in the same situation. In one way I am glad you ordered one but wish you had a better experience. I'll stick with Leupolds and Zeiss scopes for now and look at the new Nikon Monarch when it becomes available. At least most dealers around here stock NIkons.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote