Find
Notify
Tools

HELP*Who's 6X Scope Would You Recommend*HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
FOR UNDER $500 !!! That is the catch. I would like to mount one on my new 6.5X55 SE that I have being made. It will be in detach rings and there is one up and two down express iron sights too.

Help me out guys. What about a Mil-Dot 6X40 something?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold FX III 6x42 that I just love. Great low light scope!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read from a number of sources that Burris is the leader in the hunter bench rest class with their 6X scope.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
If you take into account dimensions,weight and quality of glass for under 500 dollars you will not beat the Leupold FX-III 6x42 and it has 4 1/2 inches of eye relief. Over that amount Schmidt and Bender, Kahles

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just put a Leupold 6X with a 36mm obj. on my .300 H&H. Ordered it from Cabelas for $279 and no shipping.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Leupold 6X42.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 6 x 36 provides a 6mm exit pupil, while the 6 x 42 provides a 7mm exit pupil. Unless it is nearly pitch dark and you are under 25, have never smoked, and have otherwise perfect eye function, the 6mm exit pupil is likely all you can use.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both 6 power Leupolds and the 6X42 appears much brighter. I think you will gain an extra 15 minutes hunting time at dusk. I was told 6X42 provides optimum brightness that the eye can use.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am back to the question again. I have been given Nikon, Leupold, Burris, and IOR as possibles. Do you have any suggestions or others to include?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the Nikon 6x 42mm Monarch. It doesn't have extreme eye relief with about 3.3 inches(Nikon quotes 3.5, mine measures 3.3). But on a rifle in the caliber you have it is a nice scope.

It will be brighter than others mentioned, and likely have more clarity as well. And yes, I have used most of those others mentioned.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Conquest variable set at 6X.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zeiss Conquest variable set at 6X

Seems like a waste when I always have it set at 6 to pay the extra for something I do not use

One of Us
posted Hide Post
333 okh
I have used the 6x42 Leupold and think it's money well spent..
But, the Schmidt and Bender or Swarovski Fixed will give a lot more in the Dawn/Dusk time when we see a lot of Game..
Also the 4a reticle is far superior to the Duplex style..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Meopta make a great 6x42. Should be well inside your price range.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Leupold 6 X 42 with heavy duplex... love mine.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
Zeiss Conquest variable set at 6X

Seems like a waste when I always have it set at 6 to pay the extra for something I do not use

If thats good for you then fine. Having started with a fixed 6X I found it a handicap at close range and not enough magnification at times also.

To each his own but to read these forums one would think that the most popular rifle is a pre war M70 chambered in 300 H&H with a 6X scope. Thats not the case. Sales of fixed magnification scopes are minimal and I doubt 6X is the most popular choice even then but not a bad one if your stuck with it.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Burris 6X36 for several years, and loved it. Ended up selling it to a close friend, still regret it...

And the very first rifle I ever hunted with had a Leupold Gold Ring 6X on it. I believe it was 6X32. Shot deer out to 200 with it, and as close as a measured six paces. Yes, that one was a bit too close, but I found the white patch in the throat and flipped him over backwards.

And I think O'Connor used a straight four on his .270 for many years, did he not?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted what JOC wrote about scope magnifications in one of those donybrook arguments over this.

Jack said that 2.5X was enough for all big game hunting but that he liked a 4X for all around use. He said that if he had a dedicated antelope rifle it would have a 6X on it.

One can adapt to whatever you have. A person should use what they want and what looks good thru their eyes.

Join the NRA

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I use, and really like the Leupold 6x42, but the Nikon Monarch version is just as nice for about $230 At "The Optic Zone." Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like (meaning " I use") a Burris Signature fixed 6x. No longer made. Very bright, very crisp edge-to-edge optics, and excellent resolution, click adjustments. Signature models have ("had") very large internal lenses, I think they were ~ 40% larger than other lenses for a similarly compared fixed 6x scope. Don't know the eye relief. I'm guessing it's ~ 3.5"-but what ever it is, it's plenty for my 308 Win.

It has a duplex reticle. I think it was ~ $225 a couple of years ago,used but ANIB. I think it is a 40 mm objective. Highly recommended.

If I couldn't get a Burris Signature, I'd look at the Leupold FII 6x, Nikon Monarch 6x, Weaver K6 (new model, a VERY sharp scope for ~ $125, don't knock it), or a Weaver Grand Slam in 4.75x (not a 6x, but close).

I have an IOR Valdada in fixed 4x, which is excellent. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the fixed IOR 6x hunting model is similar.

I have the Burris Signature on a Rem 700V 308 Win. It's a great fit. Zero complaints.

You have many excellent choices for well under $500. You almost can't go wrong. A fixed 4x or 6x is tough to beat for my circumstances( I will never hunt dangerous game).

Don't tie yourself in a knot over "equipment paralysis." Get a decent quality scope, use it, and don't look back. People spend too much time fussing about things that just waste time.

IMO, if you have a budget of $500 for a fixed 6x, and spend at least $200 on a decent scope, you are all done. Just select quality, and make the decision, and be done with it.

Spend your time shooting, or taking a kid fishing/hunting instead of exhausting anymore time about "a perfect scope." Life if short. Make it full.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a budget of $500 and a base for detachable rings you can almost get two scopes that would work. Personally I would get a 2-7x32 and an inexpensive used back up scope.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wasserwulf
posted Hide Post
delete

Posts: 28 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 September 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
By your mentioning the folding leaves and detachable mounts, I wonder if you embrace that old European concept of using a biggish scope but whipping it off if a Coup de grace is needed.

If you sit up by night in Europe, you might indeed need a 40mm-plus objective, otherwise a 6x36 should be adequate and less likely to foul your open sights.

If you want that traditional German look and don't mind the adventure of hunting for it, you might find a good-but-old Zeiss or Hensoldt Diasta, Kahles or Nickel Supra within your price range. Nickel, at least, made 6x scopes with both 36 and 42mm objective lenses. Having 26mm tubes and reticle movement, such scopes take a bit more setting up, of course, but are worth it for the reliability and field blending.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a hunting scope I prefer a 4x or 3x Leupold, from an M8 on up, the old 2x7x28 has been my choice for years...Ive never worn a Leupold out I have damaged them, but Leupold fixed them at no charge..All a 6x has to offer over a 4x is 2xs and that ain't much and you get a lot of bulk at 6x, but to each his own...Most choose scopes too large and prone to break and/or get knocked out of zero.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If the OP hasnt settled this dilemma yet then he has far bigger problems than which scope to choose. animal

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
If the OP hasnt settled this dilemma yet then he has far bigger problems than which scope to choose. animal

Thats what I was thinking Smiler

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I always take a Leupold 6x42 with me to Africa as a backup scope.

S&B also make a 6x42 on special order, but that is $$$.

I think the best fixed power scopes were the recent 4x Weavers. I had some of the earlier ones with steel tubes. They reissued the 4x with a steel tube about 10 years ago? as an 80th anniversary special edition. Updated glass, etc. That would have been "the one" to get. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009767251

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote