New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VXR Anybody have/use one yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering purchasing a couple of these, but would like to know if anyone has used them and please tell us what you thought of it.

There are no wrong answers. If you like or dislike that is fine, please tell us why. I would dearly love to hear the experiences as they will help me in my decision to purchase or stay away.

Thanks,

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I,ve got a CZ on order at the gun shop, plan to put a 2-7 VXR on it. Looked at the most of the usual mid range price suspects, my Mr.Magoo eyes just seem to like the Leupolds the best.
Like the 2.5-8 VX-3, glass seems a touch sharper, better definition than the VXR glass.
Comparing reticles, how ever, the illuminated duplex on the VXR shows up just a bit better for me. Draws my eye in to the cross hair quicker,does,nt seem as prone to washing out.
Again, back to the Mr.Magoo eyes...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
I have several of these and I am very happy with them. They are a fantastic scope and the red-dot allows for super-fast target acquisition; even on running targets.

I found them particularly useful on dark animals like Wildebeest where normal cross-hairs disappear on the hide or in the shadows.

I have the 3-9X40 with the ballistic fire-dot in quick detachable mounts on my .375 H&H and it is rock solid. It would still be a bargain at twice the price!

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 2-7 and really like it, in fact plan to get 2 more. I don't know how long the push button actuator will hold up, but so far, so good. I have the ballistic plex which is relatively worthless to me, but the scope was a great deal. The next ones will be the duplex or the #4

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I put the 1.24-4 with the Firedot 4 reticle on my 338-06. Have not hunted with it yet but I like it so far. The motion sensor for the illumination is a very nice feature.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.24-4x on my Browning BLR in .450 Marlin. Took it pig hunting last weekend. Didn't see a pig within range, but was disappointed that the red dot, on the largest setting, couldn't really be seen that well.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a VX R 4-12X40 with CDS on my new Browning A-bolt II 308Win and was finally able to shoot it today. I was only shooting at 100 yds testing handloads for accuracy but I was floored with how much clearer the optics are on this Leupy compared to my Nikon Buckmasters that are on my 270 and 25/06. With the Nikons I could kind of see the bullet holes and it was okay with the 270 as I just wanted to check that it was still dialed in correctly but the 25/06 is kind of a problem child and was having to search the target for new holes (this is a long story and don't want to get into it hee hee). I pulled out the 308 just to use the scope to look at the target and the degree of clarity was striking. I think a new Leupold might have to be mounted on the 270 cause I am spoiled now. I have had Vari-X IIc scopes in the past but they are not in the same class as the VX R.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold one of the low power 1 - 4 to a customer last year before his Zim hunt. He put it on a .458 Win Mag and had absolutely zero problems with it. I just put one on a .375 in the 4 x 12 x 50. So far the glass is clear enough for the money and I like the illumination feature.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
For those of you using the 4-12x, are you having any problems at the max magnification settings due to the lack of a focus control/adjustable objective at powers above 10x? This has been a concern to me and as a result I returned a new 4-12 shortly after they arrived on the market, once I discovered the left side illumination button was not a focus adjustment knob.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter, my 4-12X40 is so clear I would buy another for my 270Win but the tube isn't long enough to mount between the rings. I wonder how the glass in the VX R compares to the VX 3 scopes? I swear my VX R is as clear as a Nightforce I looked through at the range a month or so ago. It is the best value in sporting optics around.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Dennis,

Leupold told me when the VX-R first came out that it was comparable to the VX-III which was superseded by the VX-3. Nothing wrong with the VX-III optics.

Are you saying that with your scope set at 14x you have no parallax/focus problems at different ranges, say from 50 yards out to 400 yards? Everything is in focus at all ranges?

Thanks for your input.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, first my scope is a 4x-12x and I have only shot it to test ammo for a new rifle I mounted the scope on at 100yds. Let me do some more looking through it before I open my big mouth anymore. The next range session I will shooting at steel targets out to 500 meters and will see how well it focuses at longer ranges.

Dennis
Life member NRA

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sorry, meant to say 12x. I'll be very interested to hear your complete report on focus/parallax at different ranges with no AO capability. Hope it works but have been told by some very knowledgeable folks that anything over 10x needs an AO capability.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA