Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Choice for 325 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of coyote bait
posted
I am looking into getting a Kimber Montana in a 325 WSM. What would be the best scope to mount on it, regardless of price? I figure that this will be a gun to last me the rest of my life and I might as well set it up right to begin with. This will be my rifle used on future trips to Alaska and such.

Life is too short to be taken seriously, it is only temporary and none of us are getting out of it alive.

Posts: 45 | Location: Miltonvale, Kansas | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
A 2-7x33 or a 2.5-8x36 would be ideal for that gun.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of coyote bait
posted Hide Post
Also what is the best brand? I have always been fond of Burris.

Life is too short to be taken seriously, it is only temporary and none of us are getting out of it alive.

Posts: 45 | Location: Miltonvale, Kansas | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
I am going to recommend Leupold on this one. Swarovski 3-9x36 or 3.5-10x42 are even better but they are double the price. After that there are other brands with better optics but they are either too long , too heavy or are untested(Too New). Good Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swaro 3-10x42 AV TDS:

Since that Picture I switched the mounts to Low Talley lightweights. The Talley Lightweights are absolutely the way to go, lighter, rustfree and inexpensive to boot.
Another great scope choice would be a Swaro 2.5-10x42 PH, it only weighs about 3oz more (less than a 1" 2.5-10 Bushnell Elite 4200!) and is even better optically than the AV series but it isn't available with the TDS. Zeiss might make a comparable 30mm tube 2-10x42 with their new reticle that is similar to the TDS.

Here's some loads mine likes OK:

For the first 60-80 rds mine wasn't shooting very well though I was shooting in very windy and bad conditions at the time. It then started to shoot quite well, a buddy borrowed it and put 8 out of 10shots into about 3/4" and then pulled one out to about 1 1/8th or so he said.
I think you will really enjoy yours if you get a good scope on it. The TDS tracks well with the 200gr bullets, I shot a deer at 347yds with it last hunting season. It was a bang/flop as you might imagine with a 200gr TSX at 2950.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
With money not a determining factor, I would go with the above mentioned Swaro 3.5x10x42.....light weight and great optics.

woods

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
I somehow left the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 off the list as well.

One of Us
Picture of coyote bait
posted Hide Post
Djpaintles, thank you for the pictures. Thanks to everyone for there input so far. It's sounding like the Swarovski is a pretty good scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Zeiss Conquest 2.5x8 is a very sleek low profile scope that would be perfect on the Montana. Check out the classified post by Doug from Camera Land (gr8fuldoug). They have some from the Shot Show that are perfect. I paid $400 for mine from him.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote