New
Find
Notify
Tools

weaver grandslam scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hear for the $ these are great scopes. Does anyone have one and would give us a review?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1.5x5 and it is a great scope. However, their utility is limited by their choice (or non-choice would be more like it) of reticles. If the normal, "plex" type reticle fits your needs, then they are a very good value for the money.

Other "knock" on them by many is their "dog nut" magnification selector ring. I think it is rather handy, and it doesn't bother me for my uses (mounted on a .38-55 Marlin) but it is a bit large AND it is possible that it might interfere with bolt operation on certain guns.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 1.5x5 on my Marlin 1895M (450 Marlin) and it has taken a pounding with no problems. It's been dropped, drenched, frozen, etc. and still functions perfectly. My only beef with it is the rather short eye relief for a big bore. If you're one to creep up close to a scope it may "kiss" you....as I've found out on occasion. Eeker

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of the 6-20 grand slams and love them for my match rifles. Short eye relief, but good field of view, crystal clear optics, micro track works perfectly.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
a rough count about 10 grand slams. worked fine, little eye relief.i sent 1 in for repare cuss it ran out of adjustment, amonth latter they sent one back. the one isent in was a 4.5-14x40, the one they sent back was a 3-10x40 non a.o.now get this, they said they were out of 4.5-14x40 so they sent me this one cuss it was the closes to the one i had. let me think about 80 bucks diff, a 6.5-20x40 is about 15bucks more diff.talked to 3 different people plus i left a message to supperviser.heres my sign. no more weavers for me

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBS:
I have 2 of the 6-20 grand slams and love them for my match rifles. Short eye relief, but good field of view, crystal clear optics, micro track works perfectly.

That is about my impression of 6-20 as well - clear optics, good adjustments. But I have to add, I was disappointed about the diopter correction (eyepiece adjustment). On my scope (or was it my eyes?), I could not get proper adjustment for a very wide range of distances. It *just* adjusted for me at about 100 and perhaps 200 yds, beyond that I could not get perfect adjustment. So I ended up feeling the scope had its up and its down sides.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Originally posted by TBS:

That is about my impression of 6-20 as well - clear optics, good adjustments. But I have to add, I was disappointed about the diopter correction (eyepiece adjustment). On my scope (or was it my eyes?), I could not get proper adjustment for a very wide range of distances. It *just* adjusted for me at about 100 and perhaps 200 yds, beyond that I could not get perfect adjustment. So I ended up feeling the scope had its up and its down sides.

- mike

I wear corrective lenses for far sightness and need some negative diopter. I set ocular lense against white wall brightly lit for a sharp reticle. I then use the AO for the different distances and it works perfectly and stays clear at 100 200 300 yards. I never have to touch the ocular lense for different ranges or different power settings.

I just got new glasses and had to reset my ocular lenses back to a more positive diopter setting for crystal clear reticle.

It might be time to get your eyes checked out if you haven't already done this.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Grand Slams; a 3.5-10x50 and a 6-20x40. I consider them both outstanding value.

The 6-20x40 on a target rifle - no issues whatsoever. Outstanding focus, recticle, clarity, click adjustment repeatability and the AO works perfectly.

The 3.5-10x50 on a .243 Win. Rifle I use for Roe Deer. It's not a full blown night-time scope (Roe Deer aren't hunted/shot at night) so for it's intended purpose - works great but it's definately not in the night-time class of the premium European scopes.

For North American hunting a Weaver Grand Slam would receive a positive recommendation IMO.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote