Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40 vs 3x9-50
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Anyone have an opinion on the merits/disadvantages of the 40mm objective versus the 50mm? Is the extra weight, need for higher rings worth the extra bit of light transmission? Is there really that much difference in light transmission? Thanks!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 3-9X40 Conquest has such superb resolution that I am very pleased with mine for all use. Just turn up the magnification to see better in dim light.

On the other hand its only money and if your rifle has a high comb there is nothing wrong with an early XMass present.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally would save the extra money and go with the 40mm. The 40mm will give you no problems up to normal shooting hours. But I am one of those cheap guys and don't like to spend my hard earned money. You can ask my wife about that one! Big Grin

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
When you are talkiing about good glass such as on the Conquests, Monarchs, etc., the 40mm objective offers ample light transmission for virtually any usage. I just took a nicee boar hog right at dark this evening (was overcast and drizzling as well) using a Nikon 3.3-10x44AO, a scope that allowed to me see detail under some adverse lighting conditions.

Save the $$, just as Jon said, and put it towards some quality rings.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the 3-9x50, but my 3-9x40 Conquest is a superb scope and especially for the price. I don't see the value given the substantially higher price of the 3-9x50. If you want/need more low light performance, get the 3-12x56.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I bought the 50mm mainly for the increased FOV (34'-11' for the 40mm, 37.5-12.9' for the 50mm). The 3x9x50mm is a great scope and is the clearest scope I have (as compared to a $1500.00 V/VM, several Kahles and a Burris Black Diamond) but it does need to be mounted higher and if I had it to do over again I would just get the 3x9x40mm.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Didn't know you shoot wrong handed Bobby Smiler

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote