New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Vari X III Discontinued?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mind asked his dealer to order a Leupold 2.5x8 scope and was told by the dealer it was unavailable unless in stock. He said the Vari X III line was being discontinued and a new line replacing it. Anybody else hear this? If it has been discussed, please excuse me. I've been out of touch for about 10 days.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The Vari X III was discontined several years ago and replaced with the VXIII line. I think the new scopes are better.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC is right, but also the VX-III that was introduced in 2004 is being discontinued the end of this year. There will be new product line replacing the VX-III and VX-L for 09'.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon:
Do you anticipate any closeouts on VXIII scopes?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
Also the current VXII scopes are pretty much the same as the old Vari X III scopes.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Leupold, we can start discounting the prices after Thanksgiving. The old Vari-X III's are now the new VX-II's. The VX-III's have some upgrades to the old Vari-X III's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So let's get this straight:

The Vari X III is one model.

The VX III is a different model?

Because the two designations are being used interchangably in this thread.

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Vari X III was replaced by the VX III. I got this all started by typing Vari X rather than VX in my initial post. It was my understanding and was confirmed by Jon that the current model, the VX III is being discontinued and replaced by a new line.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
The Vari X III was replaced by the VX III. I got this all started by typing Vari X rather than VX in my initial post. It was my understanding and was confirmed by Jon that the current model, the VX III is being discontinued and replaced by a new line.

Well damn . . .

I have a VX I, a VX II, and a VX III. Does this mean I need to go out and buy a new scope -- and a new rifle to mount it on?

clap

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Jackoviak:
The old Vari-X III's are now the new VX-II's. The VX-III's have some upgrades to the old Vari-X III's.

If you are speaking of the lenses/coatings, then yes, Leupold represents the VX-II lenses in a similar way that they represented the Vari-X III lenses.

However, physically, the VX-II is a decendant of the Vari-X IIc (as is the VX-I). Their internal mechanisms, etc., are essentially unchanged from the IIc design. The Vari-X III and VX-III are slightly different in design.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zedo:
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:

Well damn . . .

I have a VX I, a VX II, and a VX III. Does this mean I need to go out and buy a new scope -- and a new rifle to mount it on?

clap

yes, and you must buy me one too!

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
The old Vari-X III's are now the new VX-II's. The VX-III's have some upgrades to the old Vari-X III's.

If you are speaking of the lenses/coatings, then yes, Leupold represents the VX-II lenses in a similar way that they represented the Vari-X III lenses.

However, physically, the VX-II is a decendant of the Vari-X IIc (as is the VX-I). Their internal mechanisms, etc., are essentially unchanged from the IIc design. The Vari-X III and VX-III are slightly different in design.

I agree with you on most of your comment, but the old Vari-X IIc had friction adjustment where the new VX-II's have click adjustments (slighly different internals) and multicoat 4, which is basically the same as the old Vari-X III's, but with a 3x power range.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I have an opportunity to buy a mint Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 Tactical w/ Adj obj @ mildot. It has the tall, covered target turrets.

Is this generally known as a quality scope for a long range shooter who wants to twist turret knobs up and down a lot? Caliber I'd put it on would be 260 Rem.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
I have an opportunity to buy a mint Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 Tactical
Is this generally known as a quality scope?

Yes. And although it is very rare for Leupolds to require service, the Leupold lifetime, any owner warranty provides additional comfort when purchasing a used scope.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

Thanks for the reply. How is the tracking of that scope if one were to shoot a box?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP: Leupolds are the scopes of choice for metallic silhouette shooter with rifles and handguns. We found the adjustments to be durable and reliable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
I have an opportunity to buy a mint Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 Tactical w/ Adj obj @ mildot. It has the tall, covered target turrets.

Is this generally known as a quality scope for a long range shooter who wants to twist turret knobs up and down a lot? Caliber I'd put it on would be 260 Rem.

I got one of those off Ebay and it is a good scope, but too short between bells for standard Weaver mounts on a Mauser action. There are some new extended Weaver I got for that application.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
LJS,

That's the kind of, warm and fuzzy, answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Tnekkcc,

Fortunately, the rifle to be mounted on will be a short Rem 700 in 260 Rem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to Leupold, we can start discounting the prices after Thanksgiving. The old Vari-X III's are now the new VX-II's. The VX-III's have some upgrades to the old Vari-X III's.

How much will they be discounted? Or will you have to kill me after you tell me?

Posts: 55 | Location: Gretna,NE | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got a Cabela's catalog that shows a $30 reduction per scope on existing inventory for VXIII scopes.

posted Hide Post
Cabela's is sayng $75 off today. I bought 2 just to put in the back of the safe until I need them. Plus they're giving free shipping on orders of $99 or more and a free Lenspen!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Preview of a comming attraction; the New Leupold scopes=More better... Big Grin

(With the discounting of VX scopes on Cabela's and Jon's Optics House.)