Find
Notify
Tools

scope sugestions for a .338 win mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sgt. mac
posted
I have a Ruger M77 markII chambered for a .338 win mag. I am currently using a Nikon BDC Primos scope and am not happy with the performance. It gets 'fuzzy' after the shot and I have to wait until it calms down before another shot and I am thinking this is part of the reason I am getting 3" groups at 100 yds. Anyone have a sugestion a scope that will work for this rifle? Thank you.

sometimes people just have to learn the hard way

Posts: 29 | Location: montana | Registered: 31 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Conquest 3.5x10x44 on mine and would recommend it.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been using an old Leupold VariX III 2,5-8x36 for years on my M77 / 338 Winnie, and it just plane WORKS!

This scope is now on my new Hawkeye 375 Ruger, and the 338 Winmag has got a Nikon Monark Gold 1,5-6x42.
With 4"constant eye relief and good glass quality this seems to bee another winner thumb

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
A Nikon Monarch, properly mounted, will hold up to recoil as well as anything out there.

But if your scope gets "fuzzy" after the shot, then it is obviously defective and needs to be returned to the factory. Nikon will take care of it in short order.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgt. mac:
I have a Ruger M77 markII chambered for a .338 win mag. I am currently using a Nikon BDC Primos scope and am not happy with the performance. It gets 'fuzzy' after the shot and I have to wait until it calms down before another shot and I am thinking this is part of the reason I am getting 3" groups at 100 yds. Anyone have a sugestion a scope that will work for this rifle? Thank you.

I have had a Leupold 3x9x40 VariX II on my MK II 338wm for 15yrs & 1500 rounds Never a problem

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Remington 700 Classic in .338 Win Mag has had a Leupold 2.5 X 8 scope on it ever since I bought it. I just love this scope and have never had a problem with it. The scope is small, compact, bright, and tough as nails.

I recently bought a new .375 H%H and put a brand new 2.5 X 8 Leupold on it as well.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sgt. mac
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I think i will start by getting in contact with Nikon and then start checking out the Leupolds.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I've had a Nikon Monarch 3.5-10x50 on my Win 70 338 for over 15 years. It's held up to hundreds of rounds of shooting, and many-many deer and elk hunts. I've never had any issues with it getting "fuzzy".

Are you sure it's the scope, and not your eyeballs rattling around?

Big Grin

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Mine has a straight 6X S&B. Never wanted more or less scope, and I've shot 20+ African game animals with it.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'll give the boring answer and say anything in the 3-9, 3-12, or 4-12 range will be perfect. Leupold VX-II, VX-III or Zeiss Conquest, and you'll be fine.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a .338 two months ago that has been wearing a Redfieled 4X since 1969.

I will probably swap that for a Leupold 2x7 or 1.5x5.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sgt. mac
posted Hide Post
I like the 3X9 and I don't think i will be needing more than that. I am just concerned about the blurriness after the shot. Is the Nikon able to handle the rifle or should I start looking elsewhere? Thanks for all the input.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
The scope will easily hold up to the recoil of the rifle. For the life of the rifle. I've knocked mine around on some truly rough country hunts over the years and the zero has never moved once.

What I asked earlier in a humorous way, I'll ask again, with respect, I'm not trying to insult you, are you sure it's the scope thats getting blurry? I can't think of any way that a scope would "get fuzzy" after a shot, and not STAY that way permanently afterwards.

bewildered

I have broken a few really cheap scopes over the years, but once they're broken, they usually stay broken.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sgt. mac
posted Hide Post
No offence taken. I have had a few hunting partners shoot it as well, just to make sure it wasn't me, and they both experianced the same thing. The rep at Nikon said that a little blurry dirrectly after the shot is normal, but not the amount I am seeing. They have been real pleasant to work with and are going to send out a new scope once my old one gets to them.