New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss Conquest "IMPACT" Testing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On another forum, some guys claim that EACH Conquest is Impact Tested 1,000 jolts before leaving the factory.

I don't know that I believe this. I was under the impression that a random sample would be pulled from the line ever so often and tested. But, I dunno..

Anyone have the real scoop?

Thanks!

Posts: 125 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
That rumor has been circulating for years.

Urban legend, serving no purpose.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you said it all when you attributed the
MYTH to another forum.I frequent the other forum
too, but you won't find much there except guys
who "know it all", but don't provide many
facts. When asked to provide facts to back up
their passionate opinions, most resort to
name calling and suggest those who disagree
with them have never left their armchairs. thumbdown

I get the impression that the more arrogant and rude you are, greater is the perception of your
being knowledgeable? bull

If it is good info from professionals and
very experienced hobby gunmakers you want, get your info from this site! thumb

You will learn more here in a week than you can in a year over there! Besides, the members here are more helpful than rude.(Well most of the time!) That cannot be said of some other sites!

Your only decision is, what kind of people do you want to hang around with?

killpc

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good post, Dan!

Too many silly and juvenile Cliques on various Forums.

Posts: 125 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 11 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, This is the real skinny on the "They take every scope and test it 1000 times"

OK folk, let's settle back into the world of reality. If every scope was tested 1000 times then Zeiss would never have the opportunity to ship anything. I spoke with Zeiss about this "fact" a few months ago and I was told that yes, they do pull the occasional scope from the line and shake, bang and shock the heck out of it. This is standard quality control checks that they have been doing for years. NO, they do not do this to every scope that they make. There is no reason to and it would not be productive.
I hope this settles this discussion. Those who still question this please go to the source, 1-800-441-3005 - Zeiss in the USA.

Happy Holidays

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3667 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to confirm your statement for two reasons, Doug.

1. Your character is impeccable and thus there is no reason to doubt your word. thumb

2. Common sense, which seems in short supply
nowadays, would reveal the time element required to test every scope 1000 times. That
in itself would be enough to convince me! Wink

regards,

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Thank you for the kind words of confidence.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3667 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys need to read John Barsness's book, "Optics for the Hunter". There is a complete eye witness account by Mr. Barsnes as to what Zeiss does and how they felt about it.
What happend in the years since is quite simple. Zeiss's sale reps now deny that they do every scope in this way. They even deny that they ever did. Yet there are two people over at 24hourcampfire.com who have actually seen them do this, John Barsness and Ken Howell.
What happend is that this caused lots of concern in places like this. So Zeiss simply denied that they abuse or use up some of their scope's life in excessive testing. Because "it doesn't make sense," many choose to believe it. They tell you now that just take a scope and test it by putting it in a recoil machine to see if it will last, etc. But they don't now and never did do what is described in "Optics for the Hunter". Sure. Can anyone explain why they make no lists of reliable scopes by the major custom rifle makers ? That's because they don't last as long as the other major brands. E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a way of simulating shock with a vibration with a varibable sweep rate to make dwell time a function of each resonance's Q.

Zeiss could have a vibe table with a quick mounting clamp that allows them to put a scope(S) in the clamp(s), turn on the amplifier to the table, sweep, stop, and pull out the scopes in a minute.

What does it all mean?
The urban legend is possible.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 379 Peterbilt
posted Hide Post
E

Give it up dooooooooood

You're anti Zeiss at 24hr dancing And anti Zeiss at AR. Nobody is buying the abuse tales.

gr8fuldoug - thanks.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.

Posts: 25 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 30 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oheremicus:
You guys need to read John Barsness's book, "Optics for the Hunter". There is a complete eye witness account by Mr. Barsnes as to what Zeiss does and how they felt about it.
What happend in the years since is quite simple. Zeiss's sale reps now deny that they do every scope in this way. They even deny that they ever did. Yet there are two people over at 24hourcampfire.com who have actually seen them do this, John Barsness and Ken Howell.
What happend is that this caused lots of concern in places like this. So Zeiss simply denied that they abuse or use up some of their scope's life in excessive testing. Because "it doesn't make sense," many choose to believe it. They tell you now that just take a scope and test it by putting it in a recoil machine to see if it will last, etc. But they don't now and never did do what is described in "Optics for the Hunter". Sure. Can anyone explain why they make no lists of reliable scopes by the major custom rifle makers ? That's because they don't last as long as the other major brands. E

E, to admire one mans work and make casual mention of it is flattering. To use the same mans work as a basis for your own conclusions is considered sucking up and nobody likes a suck up. You have been sucking up to barsness since shooters.com.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
E - you're using second hand info from a book published over a decade before the Conquest came out.

Anybody with any knowlege of QC in the modern manufacturing environment knows Zeiss doesn't test like that. (nor anyone else)

If Zeiss in fact sold scopes with the shortened life like you claim, those dead scopes would now be getting shipped back by the carload, with owners pounding on their keyboards at this site and others..But they're not, because it won't happen, because what you claim ISN'T TRUE.

Reps from Zeiss have debunked this claim, yet to you that only means that they are now hiding their testing procedure from us. I guess it's a conspiracy now, right? Need a tinfoil hat?

Posts: 117 | Location: MONTANA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thier testing only affects those that shoot enough with rifles that eat up a scope. Those that shoot standard weight sporters in the under .338 Magnum class and don't shoot them that much will seldom notice anything.
But those that shoot the really light '06 class rifles and the over .338 class sporters alot may well. That assumes that they keep a round count and know from experience with other tough makes, like Leupold, the Bushnell Elites, etc. that their fancy Zeiss didn't last as long.
BTW, Barsness verfied, after going through alot of people at Zeiss to get a straight answer, that the Conquests are tested the same way. E

One of Us
Picture of 379 Peterbilt
posted Hide Post
E

Have ya ever tried to get JB to back up what you say, by requesting him to make a post in these kind of threads? He has yet to show. Speaking more of 24hr than here.

I'm still not buying the torture tests you speak of at Zeiss. That would be like chevy putting 100,000 miles on their new trucks before sending them off to the dealers. Same damn thing.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If you believe Barsness to be unbiased when it comes to scopes you should read between the lines a little more (Leupolds writer or the year award.) I don't have a problem believing he wrote some tripe like that, but for you to take it as fact shows how shallow you really are.

Have you ever noticed whenever he makes a statement like that it's never in print? If that doesn't make you wonder it should.

Don't be a parrot, think for yourself.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
If you believe Barsness to be unbiased when it comes to scopes you should read between the lines a little more (Leupolds writer or the year award.) I don't have a problem believing he wrote some tripe like that, but for you to take it as fact shows how shallow you really are.

Have you ever noticed whenever he makes a statement like that it's never in print? If that doesn't make you wonder it should.

Don't be a parrot, think for yourself.

Terry

I have NEVER met a gun writer that was unbiased. Free equipment, free trips, "loaner" equipment (for a lifetime that is) not to mention dinner's (there are alot of these examples taking place as we speak at the SHOT show), the annual 10 day writer's seminar in Africa, Swarovski advertisements (Barsness) etc. Anybody that believes otherwise is in fantasy land. I guess we can add "Leupold's writer of the year" to the list now. A "unbiased" review of the VX7 is sure to follow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A simple way to solve this.......if you believe it to be true just don't buy a Zeiss and be done with it. stir hammering

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thier testing only affects those that shoot enough with rifles that eat up a scope. Those that shoot standard weight sporters in the under .338 Magnum class and don't shoot them that much will seldom notice anything.
But those that shoot the really light '06 class rifles and the over .338 class sporters alot may well. That assumes that they keep a round count and know from experience with other tough makes, like Leupold, the Bushnell Elites, etc. that their fancy Zeiss didn't last as long.
BTW, Barsness verfied, after going through alot of people at Zeiss to get a straight answer, that the Conquests are tested the same way. E

LOL!!
Who did he talk to, and when?
What does it take to break through the wall of conspiracy at Zeiss? A custom Shilen tin-foil hat? Let me guess...Barsness-God only reported this information to you to keep it super-secret. You can't say anymore, right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
As I posted back in the begiining of December

"I spoke with Zeiss about this "fact" a few months ago and I was told that yes, they do pull the occasional scope from the line and shake, bang and shock the heck out of it. This is standard quality control checks that they have been doing for years. NO, they do not do this to every scope that they make. There is no reason to and it would not be productive.
I hope this settles this discussion. Those who still question this please go to the source, 1-800-441-3005 - Zeiss in the USA."

Overall Zeiss makes a quality product at a fair price. Isn't that really the bottom line?

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice try..

e's discovered a super-secret conspiracy of denial and lies at Zeiss.

Your report only points to your complicity in this nefarious conspiracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool You figured me out Cool

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you prefer to take the word of some guy you don't even know who works for Zeiss over Barsness who actually saw the scope being so tested. Or Ken Howell who also saw this being done.
Barsness doesn't bother with this anymore because guys like you don't believe him and he just feels it's a waste of his time. In spite of all the details he described, in spite of his sterling rep among those who know him, and in spite of the fact you get just vague answer from Zeiss's people, you choose to believe them instead. Fine. It's your money. E

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you prefer to take the word of some guy you don't even know who works for Zeiss over Barsness who actually saw the scope being so tested. Or Ken Howell who also saw this being done.
Barsness doesn't bother with this anymore because guys like you don't believe him and he just feels it's a waste of his time. In spite of all the details he described, in spite of his sterling rep among those who know him, and in spite of the fact you get just vague answer from Zeiss's people, you choose to believe them instead. Fine. It's your money. E

HE'S BAAAAAAACK!!! Good luck this time there "E".

This could be a good year Wink

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
E

Just how long will a Zeiss Conquest last on a 300 WM? 1000rds, 5000rds, 10,000rds? 2-3 re-barrelings? How many rounds does a (any for that matter) riflescope last? Who determines this info? Please don't tell me some paid gunwriter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the rifle weight in 300 WM.
When your rifle starts shooting much larger, erratic groups, and/or the zero starts wandering around, you've got a sour scope.
I've seen it happen on lightweight magnums, .338's and .358's, in less than 500 rds. E

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It depends on the rifle weight in 300 WM.
When your rifle starts shooting much larger, erratic groups, and/or the zero starts wandering around, you've got a sour scope.
I've seen it happen on lightweight magnums, .338's and .358's, in less than 500 rds. E

Through your own admission you've never looked though one. Now your gonna tell the man how long his will last? Roll Eyes

Did ya read that in John's book too?

That's just sad.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, he still has not answered my question.

One of Us
Picture of 379 Peterbilt
posted Hide Post
E,
Most everyone here, including an optics expert who sells glass for a living, is laffin at what you post.

Do you, or have you ever owned a Zeiss conquest????

Nope, but I knew that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barsness never backs up what I say about him ? Try going to 24hourcampfire's Optics Forum and reading his latest replys to all this under the conquest post. Basically he says he can no longer confirm that Conquests, or any Zeiss scope, is still tested this way because his contact there no longer works for them. At present nobody will give him a detailed answer. Just some vague stuff about casual testing, etc.
Zeiss has never acknowledged their testing procedures that Barsness witnessed along with several other writers. Believe what you will. Zeiss rifle scopes make nobody's list of tough scopes. Not because they aren't well designed and built. But because of their unrealistic testing. E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barsness:
quote:
Again, all I know is what they showed and told us in Germany in 1993. At that time they claimed each 100-scope clamp was bounced (or whatever you want to call it) 1000 times on one axis, and another 1000 times on another.

Barsness cont.:
quote:
Now, maybe Zeiss does the same test today and maybe it doesn't. As noted above, my recent inquiries only got "we do it the same way we always have." Many people and companies have poor short-term memories.

Roe Deer (Germany)
quote:
I really don't understand the discussion and hassle concerning the Zeiss Germany scope testing.
Yes, they did test each and every scope in a "torture machine" (like it is still done by Docter Optik Germany), but nowadays they test only random samples, not the whole production. I pay them visits now and then so I know that.

Stopping the testing of each and every scope more than a decade ago has nothing to do with "beating part of the life out of the scope", Zeiss scopes are rigid and it is just not necessary and too expensive.
I asked Zeiss USA, via EMail:
" Please confirm that NOT "each and every scope" is tested, just random samples, ..as it is done at the Zeiss plant in Wetzlar Germany.
Regards

The answer to this question was, as expected:

That is correct sir.

Thank you
Best Regards,
P........
Customer Service Representative
Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc.
13005 N. Kingston Ave.
Chester, VA 23836

Barsness, in follow up -
quote:
Roe Deer--

Thanks very much for clearing all this up. I never could get a straight answer through the Zeiss people here. It is very good to have somebody "on site"!

John

Game over, once and for all, for you claim that every Conquest recieves 1000 recoil cycles before leaving the line.