New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Warranty
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was told Leupold only has a two year warranty on their illuminated reticles. I was going to put a 1.5x5 on a 9.3x62 for wet weather bear hunting but that limited warranty spooks me a little. Does anyone have any experience with the illuminated reticle Leupolds?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Below is the question and statement from Leupold's website.

What Is The Illuminated Reticle Warranty?
Is the warranty on the illuminated reticle the same as it is on other Leupold products? Not quite; although the scope itself has the Leupold Golden Ring Lifetime Guarantee, the electronics are under a limited warranty of two years duration.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two years is a long time to have to put up with an illuminated reticle.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they just replaced the circut board in a 4+ year old 3.5x10x50ill at no cost.. Maybe the warrenty was different when I bought mine but the current catalog does say 2 years.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Leupold is a strange animal when it comes to warranty work. I've heard so many stories about people sending in scopes that needed repair work done because of abuse and not getting a bill for the work done. A friend of mine (A once big Leupold fan) sent in a scope that wouldn't adjust to zero. He told me it wasn't a big deal because Leupold would fix anything on a goldring scope at no charge. About two weeks later he got a call from the goldring service dept saying the tube was bent and if he wanted it fixed they would need $150. He paid the money and I teased the hell out of him about it for at least a year. clap

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Leupold is a strange animal when it comes to warranty work. I've heard so many stories about people sending in scopes that needed repair work done because of abuse and not getting a bill for the work done. A friend of mine (A once big Leupold fan) sent in a scope that wouldn't adjust to zero. He told me it wasn't a big deal because Leupold would fix anything on a goldring scope at no charge. About two weeks later he got a call from the goldring service dept saying the tube was bent and if he wanted it fixed they would need $150. He paid the money and I teased the hell out of him about it for at least a year. clap

Terry

My experience has been the OPPOSITE of this one! Big Grin

Posts: 2360 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I would think if the tube was bent, it would not be under warranty. It usually means it was mounted incorrectly or abused or something.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2600 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
I would think if the tube was bent, it would not be under warranty. It usually means it was mounted incorrectly or abused or something.

Well that was my point. I've heard many stories about people that didn't get a bill when they should have and others that have heard these stories and thought their scope would be fixed for free and it wasn't. There is no consistancy to what get's billed and what doesn't. It may have more to do with who opens the box than anything. I personally have delt with Leupolds C/S dept more than with any other brand and I feel I've always beed treated fairly, but everything I've ever sent in was broke because it was Leupold and needed warranty work.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I rolled down a mountain last fall and broke a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 clean in half. I also broke another rifle stock in half. It was a rough fall. Leupold repaired it for $86 dolars shipped to me door. That isn't too bad for somethign that was obviously my fault.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Wow...

What condition were YOU in after that fall???

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9408 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was knocked out stone cold!!!! It was a crappy day from the start. We were moose hunting in an area we like to hunt because it is fairly close to home for short hunting trips. We drive about 2 hours and then take the 4 wheelers out another 2-4 hours to get to the good hunting areas, then we glass and stalk. Not even a mile from the truck the rear drive shaft on my 4 wheeler gave out. I parked my machine and jumped on my buddies littly honda 300 and my other two buddies rode 2 up on his larger 500 machine. I had my mauser 30/06, the one that broke in half, in the rifle rack on the smaller machine because I had loaned it to my buddy to hunt with. I had my winchester 70 slung across my back nice and tight. I was about 3/4 way up the first really steep incline in 2nd gear and started to bog down, I kicked it down to 1st gear and the darn thing died. This is where I found out it didn't have any brakes. It started rolling backwards while I was trying to slow it with my feet and restart it when it ran over my right boot, this jerked me part under the front wheel and set the machine on its side. I can remember at least three times rolling over before I got knocked out.

When I woke up I was staring eye to eye with a magpie. I could see the dissapointment in his beady little eyes. I could almost read his mind "Damn, I was just about to eat an eyeball!" I could tell he was pretty discusted as he flew away. I wasn't sure what was going on but at this point didnt' feel that bad. I got up wondering why I only had one boot on and where everything was. The wheeler was upside down about 100 yards away at the bottom of the hill. All my gear was spread out down about 300-400 foot of hillside. I got the machine rolled back over onto all 4s right about the time the shock wore off and I didn't feel so good, actually hurt all over. I can only imagine it is how you would feel if put in a dryer with a 400lb dryer sheet.

Shortly after rolling the machine over my buddies came back looking for me. They had waited about a half hour at the top before they came back looking for me. I figure I was out 15-20 minutes. The 7 miles back to the truck was one of the hardest, most painfull rides I have ever taken. All said and done other than a week long headache and pretty sore I was ok.

The gun that brokein half was ok except for the stock, the darn scope was still zeroed when I replaced the stock. My winchester was ok except the rear scope ring had broke free of the rifle and took the back half of the scope with it. It left an odd scope shaped bruise across my lower back.

Here is a picture from the top, you can't really see how steap that climb is but gives you an idea of the verticl relief. This was a week earlier with my 4 wheeler, with brakes!

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I was told Leupold only has a two year warranty on their illuminated reticles. I was going to put a 1.5x5 on a 9.3x62 for wet weather bear hunting but that limited warranty spooks me a little. Does anyone have any experience with the illuminated reticle Leupolds?

Lot of companies are limiting the warranty on electronics within their optical devices. Look at the warranty on a Leica Rangefinder ..last time I checked it was 2 years as well.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thebear_78:
I rolled down a mountain last fall and broke a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 clean in half. I also broke another rifle stock in half. It was a rough fall. Leupold repaired it for $86 dolars shipped to me door. That isn't too bad for somethign that was obviously my fault.

Nasty Fall glad to see your still with us

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Bear, there are better way's to deal with a rifle that won't shoot! (joke)

Looks like you had a bad fall. Glad you came out of it OK.

Terry

[URL=

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad that if I had to break any of my rifles that was the one I did it to. It is my loaner/spare rifle. Century arms centurian M98 in 30/06 with 2-7x33 leupold. It is just about as bullet proof as a rifle can get. I don't think you could hurt it, and the stock was a very cheap fix. Its not a great shooter with average of 1.5-2" at 100 yards.