New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEUPOLD SCOPES
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Couple weeks ago I sent a VX@ 3x9 scope back to Leupold to be repaired due to shifting POI. I bought the scope in the late 1960's for $63.50. So it is 50 yrs. old. Today I got a package and in it there was a BranDandy New VX2 3x9 scope. Can't beat that for Customer Service !!!

Hip

Posts: 1887 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Couple weeks ago I sent a VX2 3x9 scope back to Leupold to be repaired due to shifting POI. I bought the scope in the late 1960's for $63.50. So it is 50 yrs. old. Today I got a package and in it there was a BranDandy New VX2 3x9 scope. Can't beat that for Customer Service !!!

Hip

Posts: 1887 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I really like the ones I have.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Had a similar experience when I bought a 1.5-5 on ebay. When I received the scope it looked like it had seen some hard use. On about the 3rd shot on a 375H&H it went completely out of focus. Sent it in to Leupold explaining the situation and a brand new scope arrived in the mail.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LEUPOLD, always the best.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a scope off EBAY that wasn't nearly as described and had crosshair issues. Leupold called me and said they could repair it, but if I wanted to cosmetically upgrade they would give me a discounted price. The scope I really wanted was their 3x-9x compact with EFR. They made me a price on that scope I could not refuse.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold, very good products and service.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2648 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold is especially kind to those that volunteer to promote hunting, such as Hunter education volunteer instructors.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Like quantitative easing, lifetime warranties for scopes are the gift that keeps giving. Over here we would call it a magic pudding.

As modern scopes go, Leupolds are pretty good - but the company knows there is a fatal flaw in the very concept of constantly centred scopes that no one wants to talk about (except me). The easiest thing for the makers is just multiply the normal spares production and become Santa Claus whenever a scope stuffs up.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, for the most part, only use Leupold scopes, most I buy in Pawn shops or gun shows because I know Leupold will fix them or replace them..

My horse fell and rolled off the side of a mountain, broke my 2x7 in half..Sent it to Leupold to see if they could replace the main part and told them I understood they were not responsible..They sent me a new 2x7..

A hunter twisted the ocular adjustment too hard and ruined and old set of my binocs..sent them back, got a new pair in the mail within a week..a month later got the old ones back repaired, called Leupold , they said Hey Ray don't mess up our book work, enjoy both and Merry Christmas...

Why would I even consider any other scope!!I have Leupolds lying around all over my shop.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
More episodes for your book, Ray - how's it going? Smiler

Pecar used to have a 25-year warranty but the tubes were steel (on all I've seen) and I don't think they had to come good with it too often.

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Funny, if you read posts on other forums, most notably, 24 hr campfire, they all hate leupold these days. Interestingly, he complaints all seem to be about their high dollar scopes aimed at the turret turning crowd. I for one have never had an issue with any of my Leupolds.

I like them because they tend to be lighter than contemporary scopes. I usually stick with 40mm objectives or less.

I find myself needing new scope and was comparing various makes, most in the 3-9x40 range are tanks compared to the Leupolds. Thinking I need to start looking for a VX-II.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Only issue I ever had with one of the many Leupolds I have owned was a small chip in the lens of a 2X EER pistol scope I bought used. Same story -- sent it in for repair and had a new one at my doorstep within days.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I only have one Leupold scope a 3x9 on my .300 Weatherby and it seems to be a great scope.

I prefer the old El Paso made steel tube K6 Weavers.

From what Hipshoot said, it sounds like Leupold gives really good service on their products.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Vari-X-III off of this site years ago. It had an illuminated crosshair and after a couple of years of use the battery started draining down every few weeks even when the scope was turned off. I talked to Leupold's customer service and, knowing the electronics weren't covered under warranty, sent it in. About three weeks later I had the scope back, with new electronic innards, free of charge.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:
24 hr campfire

They complain about everything that isn't theirs or their idea over there.

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I must check 'em out, Moe. They sound like free thinkers Smiler

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
All my serious hunting guns have Leupolds on top.

My target guns and varmint guns Nikons, Nightforce, Weavers, etc. I don't know exactly why, it just worked out that way.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes Frank, Leupolds are OK but the deeper issue is a bit like the Beta/VHS thing - once the inferior technology is licensed to everyone, there's not much choice left in the shop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well - I've had two early Kahles fog up and ruin two hunts, fortunately hunts that were close to home.
I've never had a Leupold fail or stop a hunt. I've never had one lose zero in the bush, including trips to far off places and maybe 12 trips to NZ alpine country. Their adjustments don't seem very precise, but once set, IME,they don't move.

For me the "inferior technology" clearly provides superior outcomes.

And here's one to turn Ray green with envy Smiler . Had a call from a friend looking for help to set up a scope on a low $$ rifle. The scope was bought at a garage sale for $5. The scope was an early Vari x 3 (or 111) and appeared to be fine, apart from some small marks on the body. I must remember to let him know that it is still under warranty rotflmo

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I can understand some of our friends who live overseas being less than happy with the logistics of sending a failed scope back to the factory but for us lucky enough to live in the USA this is not a problem.
If anyone else made lightweight, compact scopes offering the features of Leupold I may be tempted to try them but I'd rather not put a scope weighing 1 1/2 lb with turrets sticking out 1 1/2" on a lightweight rifle.
The adjustments aren't terribly precise but if you tap the turrets with an empty brass after adjusting it generally helps and I set and forget anyway since you don't need to turret twist inside of 400 yards or so. YMMV.
Merry Christmas!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can understand some of our friends who live overseas being less than happy with the logistics of sending a failed scope back to the factory but for us lucky enough to live in the USA this is not a problem.

Not so much of a problem in my experience. Luckily, never had to return a whole scope to Leupold but have requested parts ( turret caps, rubber seals ) through Leupold USA service division. Sure, had to be patient waiting for mail to arrive but always found the service team very responsive and helpful, if a little slow at times, answering emails. I always offered to purchase parts if they wanted me to go through local dealers but Leupold, bless them, have so far supplied everything gratis.
I second comments by secondtry. Leupold builds tough scopes. A couple of mine have taken nasty bashings but to this day have never let me down.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2089 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
Well - I've had two early Kahles fog up and ruin two hunts, fortunately hunts that were close to home.
I've never had a Leupold fail or stop a hunt. I've never had one lose zero in the bush, including trips to far off places and maybe 12 trips to NZ alpine country. Their adjustments don't seem very precise, but once set, IME,they don't move.

And here's one to turn Ray green with envy Smiler . Had a call from a friend looking for help to set up a scope on a low $$ rifle. The scope was bought at a garage sale for $5. The scope was an early Vari x 3 (or 111) and appeared to be fine, apart from some small marks on the body. I must remember to let him know that it is still under warranty rotflmo

The technology I'm referring to is nothing much to do with waterproofness, but I seem to recall Kahles was early into the use of O-rings. The articulated erector tube, needed to always make the reticle look centred, is the guts of my argument.

I'm happy to say that Leupold were in no hurry to embrace constantly centred reticles, waiting almost a decade from their invention before joining the circus.

I think lifetime warranties are great, Blacktailer, but prefer them to be based on the maker's expectation that they will rarely have to make good.

The problem with all warranties is that when you have to call on them, there is always some inconvenience to the customer. His widget lets him down and has to be sent back with a letter explaining what's gone wrong. For weeks he may be without one.

If this spoils a day or two at the rifle range, it is a bit annoying; if it buggers up your once-in-a-lifetime African safari it is more than that. If, somehow, equipment failure results in loss of the customer's life, it is a personal tragedy.

I think that if makers are truly confident of the quality of their scopes, they should offer to air-freight a replacement to regional African airports in the event of a breakdown - that would be a warranty I could really respect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:

The technology I'm referring to is nothing much to do with waterproofness, but I seem to recall Kahles was early into the use of O-rings. The articulated erector tube, needed to always make the reticle look centred, is the guts of my argument.

I'm happy to say that Leupold were in no hurry to embrace constantly centred reticles, waiting almost a decade from their invention before joining the circus.

I think lifetime warranties are great, Blacktailer, but prefer them to be based on the maker's expectation that they will rarely have to make good.

The problem with all warranties is that when you have to call on them, there is always some inconvenience to the customer. His widget lets him down and has to be sent back with a letter explaining what's gone wrong. For weeks he may be without one.

If this spoils a day or two at the rifle range, it is a bit annoying; if it buggers up your once-in-a-lifetime African safari it is more than that. If, somehow, equipment failure results in loss of the customer's life, it is a personal tragedy.

I think that if makers are truly confident of the quality of their scopes, they should offer to air-freight a replacement to regional African airports in the event of a breakdown - that would be a warranty I could really respect.

Just fwiw, if I were going on a high dollar African safari or even a 'rough and remote" hunt in North America. I'd damn sure would have a back up scope, sighted-in with proper rings, for a quick change out if the first one went south. 'course that wouldn't work if jumbo was about to stomp you when the scope quit on you. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Yes if I go more than 50 miles on a hunt I always carry a back-up. With the cost of a hunt compared to the cost of a spare scope anyone would be foolish not to. And if jumbo is about to stomp you, you are probably close enough that you don't need a scope. Wink

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I have been using Leupold scopes since 1963. I was planning on Weaver K4 for my new Win 70 until the gun shop owner handed me a Leupold 4x to compare. I was fresh out of high school and bought the Leupold and never looked back. I have a Rem 700 Varmite special I bought when a young Lt in the USAF, that I put a Redfield 4-12 on back in I think late 1970. The last few times out I just cannot seem to get it to focus, so decided to replace and found a good close out on a Leupold 6.5-20 50mm with target dot. The weather finally allowed me to get them outside and there is no comparision, probably due to 48 years advancement in technology, The side focus is much easier to use than loosening a lock ring on ocular of the Redfield and turning to try to get it focused.
Just waiting on 30mm rings to arrive so I can mount it now.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote