New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold scopes???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A gun dealer up the road from me about 50 miles was showing me some playing cards and targets he had shot with his varmint rifles and he proceeded to explain how a certain rifle on a still day will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yds. And a customer came in and complained about a Leupold scope that wasn't holding zero, so Coyote (the dealer) put the scope on his one holer and went to the range and it shot about a 1 3/4" group then he replace the Leupold with the Sightron that was originally on his rifle and put the 10 shot string into about a half inch. He said he then went through all of his Leupolds he had one at a time and none of them would hold perfectly. He told me he had a Vari-X II that shot a respectable five shot group then laid the gun on its side for about 2 minutes and picked it up again and shot another 5 shots and the group had moved to the left about 3". He will not put another Leupold on his shelves because of this. I will admit I haven't found a scope yet that will hold its zero as well as my Nikons, but I have used three Leupolds and have found them adequate but now wonder if the guns would have performed more accurately with a different scope. What do you think of this? This was a fifteen minute discourse he laid on me yesterday, so this is just a small summary of his testing.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Lucky
I think your guy is full of it, he must have some kind of beef with Leupold or some other agenda to run them down. If he has Leupolds that have shifting POI ( point of impact) then he should send tham back and Leupold will make it right, and at no charge like they always have.
Your buddies statememnt is not true across the board, I'm not saying that his Leupolds aren't defective what I'm saying is that you can't make a blanket statement like that. As far as my scopes are concerned the POI is holding just fine and my "use for everything" rifle that I hunt in extremely rugged terrain with for Deer, Elk, Bighorn Sheep, Goats etc. seems to hold perfectly. If it were only a matter of laying the scope on its' side for awhile to make them shoot to the left then my scope would be in real trouble the way it gets treated in my truck, on a horse, on a fourwheeler, hiking and climbing in the rocks thick brush and cliffs.
Don't believe what this guy is telling you is the gospel.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I certainly have to agree with Snellstrom on this one.

The guy at the store is absolutely full of it.
I own 14 Leupold scopes and not a one has a problem holding zero. No problems! Never!

I have some Leupolds that are used for target shooting and varminting that have target knobs on them. I screw the adjustments all over the place depending on the range involved and the wind encountered. They always return to zero.

Good thing Varmint Guy has not seen this thread, he would be all over it with comments.

Find another store.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The guy obviously has a beef with Leupold. They are certainly not my favorite scopes, but I nonetheless admit they are good, solid performers with a well-deserved reputation.

Maybe he's one of the guys Leupold cut off because he wouldn't adhere to their pricing policies -- and doesn't want to admit THAT is the reason he has none on his shelves.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Coyote" probably also believes that Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9-11.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dealer lay the rifle on its side for 2 min. and that alone caused the scope to change POI by 3 MOA. That's a good one! You ought to offer to take some of those lousy scopes off his hands at a deep discount.

I agree with the previous post, I would bet that this dealer got cut off when Leupold made pricing changes and this is his way of explaining to customers why he can't get the product.

I've had 22 Leupold scopes, mostly Vari-X-III's and M8-4X models on everything from spring-air pellet rifles to a 416rem. I have a couple varmint rifles with stoney point target knobs and they get moved a lot. I have never experienced a sudden change in zero that was attributable to the scope.

Posts: 106 | Location: Florida | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Come on guys....Leupold is not a bad scope for the money. It does precisely what it was designed to do. Find two and a half to three minutes of deer.

Now when you need 1/2 minute or less there are better scopes on the market, but most shooters wouldn't know how to do it if they tried.

How come I am so arrogant about this subject? Here is my rifle...

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The local police dept. sniper in Oregon (where Leupold is made) built his rifle, 700 Rem. stainless in .308 and a Leupold 4 14x 40mm.

Leupold will repair/replace anything they sell.

Locally we're sort of touchy about people who badmouth our state product. Leupold is the scope to own in Oregon.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Police Sniper? Hitting a 3" target reliably at 50 yards is not that difficult a task.

Hitting it at 800 is a more interesting challenge.

But Leupold builds an OK optic for the money.

Smiler

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMCI*:
Police Sniper? Hitting a 3" target reliably at 50 yards is not that difficult a task.

Hitting it at 800 is a more interesting challenge.

But Leupold builds an OK optic for the money.

Smiler

Police snipers -- any sniper -- wants MOA at 100 yds. That's an inch, about the surface covered by the reticle.

Leupold is not the apotheosis, but they're sure as hell not shifting POA because the gun was laid on its side.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked the zero on a m700ks in 35 whelen, it has a leupold 1.75x6. It has been on this rifle for 5 years & I have never had to change the poi. It has been laid on it's side a few times must have sorta balanced it out by being on the left & tight side the same amount of time..luck me.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
DMCI?
I saw the photo and I'm still wondering why you are so arrogant. Nothing in that photo explained any of your arrogance to me.
Neither the Remington on a bipod or the scope with all the "widgets" on it does any thing for me or is relevent to the discussion.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's provides product reviews. Here's the Full Monty:

Leupold VX-III Riflescope Review

By: Mike Schoby

Leupold unleashes their new scope, the VX - III, and we put it to the test.
The VX-III returns to zero after adjustments are made

Whether it was because I grew up in the Northwest, close to Leupold's factory, or whether it was just the crowd I hung around with, but in my youth there was nothing I wanted more than a Leupold Vari-X III. I considered Leupold scopes to be the epitome of riflescopes. To have a Vari-X III meant to have the best there was, and was often the mark of a discriminating hunter. Like few opinions of my youth, this one has stood the test of time, and even as an adult, with a lot of scopes under my belt, I still feel Leupold scopes are one of the best scopes in their class and are always the mark of an experienced shooter. e

For my generation, the Vari-X III was Leupold's premier riflescope, until now. For 2004 Leupold decided it was time to replace the old standby and incorporate all their 100 years of optical experience into one new flagship model; the VX-III.

The name sounds familiar doesn't it? And while the two generations of scopes are similar, after playing with the new VX-III, I can honestly say, it is anything but a cosmetic makeover of the Vari-X III. From the ground up, the engineers at Leupold burned the midnight oil to create a scope worthy of their name and reputation.
The Boone and Crockett Reticle

To begin with, they added finger-adjustable windage and elevation dials. Say good-bye to searching for a screwdriver or coin when you want to make an adjustment. In addition to convenience, this feature avoids the potential marring from using the wrong tool for the job. In addition to the finger adjustment knobs, another great feature of the new adjustments is the resetable pointer dials, which mark zero. This simple, silver sliding ring makes it a breeze to sight in your rifle, mark the position, make elevation/windage changes (either for different ammo or for different hunting conditions) and later return to the exact setting the rifle was sighted-in for.

I tried this feature out at the range and it worked flawlessly. After sighting-in the gun, I made 20 clicks worth of elevation, fired a group, returned to my zero mark and fired another group. The gun was dead on. This feature will come in very handy on next year's elk hunt. I usually sight in at home then travel to the high country for elk. Invariably due to elevation changes, I have to re-sight in my rifle once in camp. It will be nice not having to re-sight when I return home for the remainder of my local deer and antelope season - simply by resetting the zero to the marked location, I can hunt without worry.
The VX-III

Another great feature of the new VX-III is the side-focus parallax adjustment (on select models). There is nothing more frustrating on a higher-powered scope than to pull up for a shot and realize the parallax is out of adjustment. The only thing more annoying is straining forward to reach the objective lens, craning your head out of position to read the yardage numbers and adjusting the parallax. Not so with the new VX-III as its parallax adjustment is conveniently located on the side of the turret opposite from the windage adjustment. Now when changes have to be made, you can keep your cheek firmly planted to the stock, and reach up with your non-shooting hand to make adjustments. Quick and easy is the name of the game here.

However, what stood out the most to me on the VX-III when I used it for the first time, were the optics - they are simply awesome. I have come to expect clarity, excellent light transmission and exceptional definition from all Leupold optics, but the VX-III takes it to another level. Technically speaking, Leupold calls their new process the Index Matched Lens System. What this means is that every lens within the VX-III has a coating that is unique to its application to allow the maximum amount of light to be transferred. All combined, the VX-III transmits up to 98% of the total light.
Finger adjustments and a zero indicator are new additions to the VX-III

New Reticles
Since Leupold was in the process of improving the already legendary Vari-X-III they took the time to rethink reticles and in the process teamed up with America's strongest wildlife conservation organization. The Boone and Crockett Club. Since 1887 Boone and Crockett has promoted wildlife conservation, ethical fair chase hunting and was a natural partner to name this new long-range reticle after. Leupold, committed to helping hunter make the most accurate, ethical shot possible to cleanly harvest big game, designed their new Boone and Crockett reticle with the big-game hunter in mind.

Designed to be used with modern cartridges, the integral drop points can be calibrated for over two-dozen calibers. The idea behind the Boone and Crockett reticle is to sight-in dead-on at 200-yards with the main cross hair (with most modern calibers this puts the bullet anywhere between one-and three-inches high at 100-yards). Then it has crossbars for 300, 400, 450 and 500 yards. Either end of the 300 and 400-yard cross mark indicates the correct aiming point for a 10-mph crosswind.

Aside from the Boone and Crockett reticle, the VX-III can also be had in 12 other reticle configurations, including the new Wide Duplex and the Varmint Hunter. It should be noted that the VX-III is also available in 30mm main tube as well as the standard 1-inch.

To sum it all up, the VX-III is everything a hunter can hope for. Leupold took an already highly successful product, the Vari-X III, made some great changes and incorporated some innovative new ideas. All and all it is a scope well worth the Leupold name to bring them through the next 100 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45/70 Govt.:
Cabela's provides product reviews. Here's the Full Monty:

Leupold VX-III Riflescope Review

By: Mike Schoby

Leupold unleashes their new scope, the VX - III, and we put it to the test.
The VX-III returns to zero after adjustments are made

Whether it was because I grew up in the Northwest, close to Leupold's factory, or whether it was just the crowd I hung around with, but in my youth there was nothing I wanted more than a Leupold Vari-X III. I considered Leupold scopes to be the epitome of riflescopes. To have a Vari-X III meant to have the best there was, and was often the mark of a discriminating hunter. Like few opinions of my youth, this one has stood the test of time, and even as an adult, with a lot of scopes under my belt, I still feel Leupold scopes are one of the best scopes in their class and are always the mark of an experienced shooter. e

For my generation, the Vari-X III was Leupold's premier riflescope, until now. For 2004 Leupold decided it was time to replace the old standby and incorporate all their 100 years of optical experience into one new flagship model; the VX-III.

The name sounds familiar doesn't it? And while the two generations of scopes are similar, after playing with the new VX-III, I can honestly say, it is anything but a cosmetic makeover of the Vari-X III. From the ground up, the engineers at Leupold burned the midnight oil to create a scope worthy of their name and reputation.
The Boone and Crockett Reticle

To begin with, they added finger-adjustable windage and elevation dials. Say good-bye to searching for a screwdriver or coin when you want to make an adjustment. In addition to convenience, this feature avoids the potential marring from using the wrong tool for the job. In addition to the finger adjustment knobs, another great feature of the new adjustments is the resetable pointer dials, which mark zero. This simple, silver sliding ring makes it a breeze to sight in your rifle, mark the position, make elevation/windage changes (either for different ammo or for different hunting conditions) and later return to the exact setting the rifle was sighted-in for.

I tried this feature out at the range and it worked flawlessly. After sighting-in the gun, I made 20 clicks worth of elevation, fired a group, returned to my zero mark and fired another group. The gun was dead on. This feature will come in very handy on next year's elk hunt. I usually sight in at home then travel to the high country for elk. Invariably due to elevation changes, I have to re-sight in my rifle once in camp. It will be nice not having to re-sight when I return home for the remainder of my local deer and antelope season - simply by resetting the zero to the marked location, I can hunt without worry.
The VX-III

Another great feature of the new VX-III is the side-focus parallax adjustment (on select models). There is nothing more frustrating on a higher-powered scope than to pull up for a shot and realize the parallax is out of adjustment. The only thing more annoying is straining forward to reach the objective lens, craning your head out of position to read the yardage numbers and adjusting the parallax. Not so with the new VX-III as its parallax adjustment is conveniently located on the side of the turret opposite from the windage adjustment. Now when changes have to be made, you can keep your cheek firmly planted to the stock, and reach up with your non-shooting hand to make adjustments. Quick and easy is the name of the game here.

However, what stood out the most to me on the VX-III when I used it for the first time, were the optics - they are simply awesome. I have come to expect clarity, excellent light transmission and exceptional definition from all Leupold optics, but the VX-III takes it to another level. Technically speaking, Leupold calls their new process the Index Matched Lens System. What this means is that every lens within the VX-III has a coating that is unique to its application to allow the maximum amount of light to be transferred. All combined, the VX-III transmits up to 98% of the total light.
Finger adjustments and a zero indicator are new additions to the VX-III

New Reticles
Since Leupold was in the process of improving the already legendary Vari-X-III they took the time to rethink reticles and in the process teamed up with America's strongest wildlife conservation organization. The Boone and Crockett Club. Since 1887 Boone and Crockett has promoted wildlife conservation, ethical fair chase hunting and was a natural partner to name this new long-range reticle after. Leupold, committed to helping hunter make the most accurate, ethical shot possible to cleanly harvest big game, designed their new Boone and Crockett reticle with the big-game hunter in mind.

Designed to be used with modern cartridges, the integral drop points can be calibrated for over two-dozen calibers. The idea behind the Boone and Crockett reticle is to sight-in dead-on at 200-yards with the main cross hair (with most modern calibers this puts the bullet anywhere between one-and three-inches high at 100-yards). Then it has crossbars for 300, 400, 450 and 500 yards. Either end of the 300 and 400-yard cross mark indicates the correct aiming point for a 10-mph crosswind.

Aside from the Boone and Crockett reticle, the VX-III can also be had in 12 other reticle configurations, including the new Wide Duplex and the Varmint Hunter. It should be noted that the VX-III is also available in 30mm main tube as well as the standard 1-inch.

To sum it all up, the VX-III is everything a hunter can hope for. Leupold took an already highly successful product, the Vari-X III, made some great changes and incorporated some innovative new ideas. All and all it is a scope well worth the Leupold name to bring them through the next 100 years.

Cabela's has biased reviews,period! This guy is nobody but a paid pansy for leup(old) and Cabela's. Get real.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 7 leupolds on my rifles and have never had any problem. All but one has been to Africa twice. I have had on scope that did not work as well for my eyes as I would have liked - a Zeiss Conquest that would get knocked off very easily.

I buy leupolds because they work.

If your gunsmith wants to sell his existing stock for cost - I will buy them....

Posts: 10380 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me as another loyal Leupold owner. Im not going to go off on a soap box fire-breathing sermon on how Leupold's are the best there is bla, bla, bla, because thay are not.

What thay ARE is a utterly bomb proof scope that will deliver on all your hunting needs durring leagle shooting hours. I own seven older model Leupold VariX-IIs. Thay all sit on hard kicking magnum rifles and slug guns. My friend and I both own a slug gun that is by far one of the worst scope punnishing designs out there barr none. A New England Firearms Pardner Tracker II Plus. This rifle places the scope directly on top of the chamber and has a imfamous reputation for causing bargin scopes to not just fail, but to literally fly apart.

Combined (while atop our Trackers) our VariX-II shotgun scopes have survived 400+ 12ga 2.75" and 3" magnum sabot slugs with zero failures of any kind. My friends is alot more rounds as his sees double duty sitting atop his Encore Magnum MZ. My six other VariX-IIs have all seen hard, hard hunting as well as 1000s of magnum rounds with never a failure of ANY kind let alone suffer a shift of POI.

With todays high end scopes I find it nearly immpossable to beleve stories like the one told here about any quality scope made by Luepold, Nikon, Bushnell, ets...

I would also be seriously interested in buying any of this guys Leupold scopes if he is selling them at his cost, and Im not joking.
It seems to me for some resion that escapes me some people have an irrational dislike for Leupold scopes, as well as other equally popular hunting products.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my Ruger Number 1 in 45/70 for the dense woods elk here on the Oregon Coast, I went for the Leupold VX III, 1.75 - 6X, 32mm. matte, heavy duplex.

Good light transmission, good relief, the right reticle, bomb-proof backed with warranty, local product. Great optics at a great price.

If I were shooting 400 yds on the plains, it'd be Swaro, or Zeiss . . . some Euro/Arcana at a zillion bucks.

45/70 in the woods for Roosevelt elk.

-- and sticking my head in the door at the local pawn shop, on the way out of town, a Weatherby Vangaurd, 30-06, 85%, Leupold VX-II, 3 - 9 40mm at "20% Off" -- $367 out the door.

Knives and books were on sale too. I got one of each.