New
Find
Notify
Tools

Application Torque of Ring Screws
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just completed a lengthy conversation with customer service of a major scope manufacturer. They were emphasizing the importance of proper application torque of ring and base screws when mounting a scope. I have to confess I'm a member of the tight as I can get it club. I'm curious how many people use torque wrenches when scoping their hunting rifles.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I torque action screws on rifles wearing H-S Precision stocks, but not base or ring screws.

There are some 'tactical' mounts that recommend torqueing, but I don't use them.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
After years of doing it by hand without incident, I recently started using a scope torque wrench. There are a few now on the market. I also used it on action screws on my RSM.

Leupold ring and mount packaging now includes the torque numbers.

As tight as possible is not necessarily a good idea as it is possible to cause unseen damage to your scope internals, as well as leaving ring marks should you ever decide to remove it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Wheeler scope mounting kit a few years ago. You can tweak the rings to line up exactly and also lap the rings for better fit. The kit also came with a torque driver with specs for all sorts of things on a gun.

Getting the rings a perfect as possible has to be a good thing, right?

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell off on myself but I do use the torque screwdriver now that I have it. I figured with every darn thing else I had here for cars and guns etc, one more would not change things a lot. So I got one and after I started using it on my own scope mounts, and on my buddies, I do believe that the mounts are "better" - at least more consistent. Fit the magna tips bits and drivers very well.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Swarovski says 2Nm of torque for those screws - that sounds like the right amount to me when I see those dimension of these screws!

And yes - I use torque wrenches - a single damage is more expensive!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason for my post is twofold. In an earlier post I caution others about ring position and screw torque with a 1x4 Nightforce. Yes, I cracked the front lens. Second, I have an older Swarovski scope I had to return for repairs because it was difficult to focus and change magnification power. Swarovski told me it is very important not to over torque ring screws. I use Brownell screw drivers and I guess they let me put too much torque into tightening the screws. I'm going to order a Wheeler set. A simple wrench supplied with the rings should only be as tight as the force you can apply with one finger per the tech.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I just completed a lengthy conversation with customer service of a major scope manufacturer. They were emphasizing the importance of proper application torque of ring and base screws when mounting a scope. I have to confess I'm a member of the tight as I can get it club. I'm curious how many people use torque wrenches when scoping their hunting rifles.

Uniform tightening is important.

Tightenening enough is important.

Not tightening too much is also important.

I use blue LockTite and an appropriate torque wrench when I put on a scope for a long wear.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a torque wrench for scope rings, bases and also the action screws.

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
2Nm is incredible low - I guess that most of us would overload them if You are not using a torque wrench!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a torque wrench, maybe overkill, but I am anal when it comes to precise shooting. You should add it to your tool box, as well as levels for mounting scope.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using these for a few years . .

Felo Torque Wrench

They are available in a couple of different torque ranges and measure in Nm. My first test with the FELO was to check the torque on a set of ring screws that had been tightened w/o a torque wrench. They were WAY over-torqued.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rings, Bases, Actions, all get torqued to specified poundage.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
I used to be a member of the Gorilla club but am happy to say I've been rehab'd and now use the Wheeler Fat Torque wrench Smiler Works great and have had no issues of anything becoming loose.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote