New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redfield "Hunter"?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently came by a Redfield model which I had never seen before. It is a 3-9X40 marked "Redfield", "Hunter", and "U.S.A.", leading me to believe it may date back to the Denver days. It is definately a "leader" lower-priced scope with a fairly decent matte finish and very clean lines. There is no color or embellishment anywhere on the piece -- just matte black. It does have a duplex (Redfield would have called it "4-plex") reticle. Optics are passable, but do show distortion near the edges of the field.

Is anyone familiar with this scope and its production time-frame?

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a fairly late Denver (I think still Denver) made scope. It would be with the 5 Stars, Hunter, and the other budget model, the Tracker. This would be the last Redfields covered by the original warranty (long gone now though). Shortly after these started all of the changes in design and ownership, too numerous to remember.

ETA: Deleted my incoherant off topic BS.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are "new" Redfield scopes produced by Leupold within the last year. I have purchased two, simply due to the Redfield name from the past. Both seem to be satisfactory scopes. I put one on a .450 NE 3 1/4 inch Ruger #1 H, and the other on a Ruger #1 .416 Rigby. Both survived. I am satisfied enough to order two more. One in a 2-7 and thr other in a 3-9. They are now made in Oregon, where the Redfiel's originated to begin with.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe the new redfields are called evolution. as i remember it the hunter was a bottom line redfield made in the 70-80's. i think they were made after don burris left redfield and were made to compete against things like tasco

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Redfield Revolution"

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i believe the new redfields are called evolution. as i remember it the hunter was a bottom line redfield made in the 70-80's. i think they were made after don burris left redfield and were made to compete against things like tasco

I'm certain this is correct. The scope I have is DEFINATELY not the current Leupold-produced model. The scope has very clean lines, but only so-so optics, and the guy I got it from had had it put away in a closet for so many years that he had forgotten he even owned it.

I would rate this scope as a notch below the current Evolution and a notch above a Simmons and such. I haven't had it mounted on anything so cannot comment on its adjustments, but the old Redfields were pretty good in this area. Of course, its power cam could be so eccentric that the zero wanders by a foot when going from 3 to 9 power Big Grin

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote