New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a scope....QUICKLY!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Burris 4.5-16 Fullfield II has a wiggle where the power adjustment occular connects to the scope tube. I plan to send it back to Burris, but I need to rescope my rifle for a 19 Nov deer hunt departure.

Wanted to get your expert opinions/ suggestions on the following:

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10: $239
Nikon Monarch 5.5-16 $389
Bushnell 4200 4-16: $439
Leupold 4.5-14 VXIII: $559

Please feel free to offer suggestions or items for sale.

This is going on a 6.5-284 hunting rifle.

Regards,
Jim

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the Weaver.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimno2506---Before variables became dependable and affordable,for most the debate was between 4x or 6x and they served well. I was wondering why,especially in Ky, you would need the powers you listed? I would think a 3x-9x would do the job for you and I'd go Leupold. Why? Because I like Leupold,and Leupold likes Leupold---they take care of em--same with Burris.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Carpetman on the power rating... The Nikon's are a good choice for lesser dollars... The only problem is with a magnum rifle with those.. My hunting partner broke two of them with his 300 win mag... I would probably go with a 3 - 9 Leupy or the 3.5 - 10 ....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your budget I would try the Zeiss 3x9 Conquest.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Try looking here for the best price.
www.theopticzone.com

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
Jimno2506---Before variables became dependable and affordable,for most the debate was between 4x or 6x and they served well. I was wondering why,especially in Ky, you would need the powers you listed? I would think a 3x-9x would do the job for you and I'd go Leupold. Why? Because I like Leupold,and Leupold likes Leupold---they take care of em--same with Burris.

This is not only a Kentucky gun. It's for up nort' and out west. I've got all the close-up guns and scopes I need. This is a "reach out and touch" hunting rifle.

I also like to shoot paper and a little higher mag is very nice.

Thanks,

Jim

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leupold 4.5-14 VXIII

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nikon is the best buy from your list. The best optics for the money period.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Reloader wrote:
"Nikon is the best buy from your list. The best optics for the money period."

My thoughts exactly. I would actually suggest the Nikon Monarch 4-12x40. It would take care of any hunting situation you may encounter, including your excursions out West.

And, I'd get it from www.theopticzone.com -- where you'll find the best Nikon prices anywhere.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much sworn off anything but Leupold scopes for rifles and Leupold and Thompson/Center scopes for handguns. I want a scope that's dependable and a company that backs up their product with no excuses.

As far as cameras are concerned, I have a definite preference for Nikon. I'm sure their optics are good but I don't know anything about their product support record as far as scopes go.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin wrote: "I've pretty much sworn off anything but Leupold scopes for rifles and Leupold and Thompson/Center scopes for handguns. I want a scope that's dependable and a company that backs up their product with no excuses."

Then you should use NIKON. In another post, you are having problems with your Leupold, correct???

Titled "Problem with Leupold," you wrote: "the VX-II I wanted to use with the 500 gr. bullets can't be adjusted up enough to get the bullets up to the target center at 100 yards and I'm not shooting light loads." Your other scope was doing fine on the same rifle.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Actually both scopes I'm using are Leupolds. I haven't actually concluded there is something wrong with the scope but if there is, I'm sure Leupold will fix it.

Nikon may make a fine scope but they haven't, as far as I know, been making them for as long as Leupold. I also think they're more of an unknown as far as product support is concerned. Maybe I'll have a Nikon scope some day but not until I hear more good about them from product testers like you.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Go with the Weaver.

+1

Weaver is my choice (grand slam)

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Someone had to be the first to test a Leupold too. Just because they haven' been making them as long doesn't make them a poor scope, with questionable product support.

Posts: 14 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I completely enjoy my Nikon Buckmaster on my '06... Scoped it's about 7 and half pounds... Recoil hasn't bothered it at all.. It holds zero and adjusts quite predictably in .25 MOA increments.... My hunting partner broke 2 Nikon Monarchs with his 300 win mag... Also a light rifle so the scope was taking a beating... They did replace them with no questions asked... He has since mounted a Leupold on that rifle... Just didn't want to send it back again... He put the Monarch on his '06 and it's been fine on that rifle.. Nikon is now marketing a Titanium model which I suspect is due to breakage on heavier recoil rifles of their other scopes (just a thought and opinion)...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In that price range many of the Zeiss Conquests are options, and probably the finest option.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3702 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Conquest is north of $675 and the puts it out of my budget.

Think I'm going the Nikon route. The optics zone has the best prices, bar none.

Thanks guys,

Jimno

Liberals make me puke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3702 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimno2506:
The Conquest is north of $675 and the puts it out of my budget.
Think I'm going the Nikon route. The optics zone has the best prices, bar none.
Thanks guys,

Jimno

You can buy a 3x9 Zeiss Conquest for $399 at just about any mail order retailer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Why not a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40mm AO for $399 and be done with it?

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can buy a 3x9 Zeiss Conquest for $399 at just about any mail order retailer.

I've got a 3-9x to put on it, but want more magnification.

At least 14x and preferably 16x. The Conquest is way more than $399 for that model.

Thanks,
Jim

Liberals make me puke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find my 3x10 scopes to offer plenty of magnification for 500 yard shots on big game.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote