New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toughest Tactical Hunting Scope....?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats recommend if a person was looking a tactical scope for hunting?
Dont mind the extra weight,
as long as it means thicker stronger tube walls,better light,clearer view, more reliable/accurate internals, superior sealing etc, and Overall bomBproofness!
Dont necessarily want anything over complicated.
Maybe a Leupold 2.5-8x36 tactical(if leupold can make me one with basic sealing caps on the adjustment turret)
Maybe a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS... Is the smaller 24mm objective any real great concern with light, or does its quality of glass make up for it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Nikon BuckMaster 6-18x40 with BDC makes a good tactical scope for hunting.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For what you are asking for, very few would likely argue with U.S. optics.
Cdog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
leupld FX-III 6x42 target

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you planning to beat the animal to death with the scope? jumping

Sorry couldn't resist. It's late, and I've been working all day. Here are some serious comments.

Leupold scopes are generally very rugged. As much as I like to criticize them for the their overwrought marketing hype and second class glass, they are stoutly constructed. The number of low power VXIIIs in use on .375H&H and bigger rifles speaks volumes.

Nightforce or U.S. Optics would likely be good choices, too, but I have no personal experience with them. All my Nikons have been great scopes, but they are on a .243, .223, a .22LR, and a .17HMR---not exactly torture tests.

Any true tactical scope will be built to a higher standard. Usually with a 30mm tube, thicker tube, et cet. These tend to get heavier though. The USMC snipers have used the same Unertl 10X scopes for almost 40 years and are only now replacing them with Schmidt and Benders. So those might be two good choices. (I've heard that the Unertls weighed more than 2 pounds each, so you can imagine the construction, if that's true.)

Quite a few name brand makers produce tactical scopes including Nikon and Leupold and Burris. I've heard the SuperSniper is a well built scope also.

KStephens may be on to something with the fixed power idea. Fewer moving parts = less to break.

Good luck.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to inspect the Nightforce2.5-10x24 NXS today. It certainly instills much confidence with its; weight(17oz),firmness/feel of variable ring(no slop),solid feel of adjustments including the iluminated reticle turret, Optics super clear.
When I say clear, I mean there was notable difference between it and the Leupold Euro2-7x33(30mm)&Euro3-9x40(30mm)I also inspected. Still the Leup.seemed a good unit considering it was only just over 1/4 price of the Nightforce.
Iluminated recticles Ive never had much to do with, but after loking at NFnxs today, its very tempting.
Do still need to look at other good brands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The NXS 2.5-10 is a great scope. My buddy hunts with one and has never had a problem with LEGAL shooting light. I have a 5.5-22 that is awesome but heavy. Mine was actually thrown from a humvee and run over by the 3 humvees behind and held zero with nothing more than a dented front bell.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you look at the Trijicon Accupoint too. Get the one with the tritium post - amazing!

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If price is not a factor, US Optics, if price is some what of a factor, Nightforce, if price is a factor, Leupold MK4.

Posts: 54 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I am not sure exactly what your looking for, most tactical scopes don't have turret caps, they are counter productive so to speak. Here's what I know...

The major militaries on their sniper weapons use either the US Optics (US Marines), Leupold MkIV (US ARMY), or Unertl (UK). All of them are rugged and have good optics. Nightforce is popular among the non issue scopes and are developing a really good reputation.

The Leupold MkIV M1 is my pick, the cost is $900-$1200 for a 3-10 depending on reticle. Glass seems to be clearer than the VXIII line and the turrets seem to hold up well and more importantly adjust correctly (1/4 moa is actually 1/4 moa). Also a plus is the side focus knob. They have enough travel for an 800 yd 308, you will need a forward canted base to get out further.

If you really want turret caps, look towards the VXIII target scopes. If you want a low profile tactical knob, look towards the MKIV M2, or the M3.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The toughest scope I have personally used was a Schmidt & Bender unit. They are big and heavy, but the glass is outstanding.

The also are making models for the military market.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
I am not sure exactly what your looking for, most tactical scopes don't have turret caps, they are counter productive so to speak. Here's what I know...

The major militaries on their sniper weapons use either the US Optics (US Marines), Leupold MkIV (US ARMY), or Unertl (UK). All of them are rugged and have good optics. Nightforce is popular among the non issue scopes and are developing a really good reputation.

The Leupold MkIV M1 is my pick, the cost is $900-$1200 for a 3-10 depending on reticle. Glass seems to be clearer than the VXIII line and the turrets seem to hold up well and more importantly adjust correctly (1/4 moa is actually 1/4 moa). Also a plus is the side focus knob. They have enough travel for an 800 yd 308, you will need a forward canted base to get out further.

If you really want turret caps, look towards the VXIII target scopes. If you want a low profile tactical knob, look towards the MKIV M2, or the M3.

Schmidt & Bender joined the marines

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
How about a Nightforce scope with an AK-47 bullet hole completely through the tube and it still functioned perfectly.The holes were taped over and the soldier uesd the scope for 3 more days.... I looked through this scope at the 06 shot show in Vegas...........

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JWP,
Very realworld impressive!
... anyone want to submit their favourite esteemmed tactical Leupold,S&B,Zeiss,etc for similar testing? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would think that any trauma bad enough to damage a top tier scope would do likewise to the rifle.
IOR scopes are affordable and durable.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack

I have a Leupold 3.5-10 LR M3 [ballistic cam] scope on my 300 Win Mag Blaser R 93.

I recently took it on a Grizz hunt where we used snowmobiles.

It rode in a scabbard for over 1150 miles in some very rough country, including snow free tundra, rocks, etc. It also survived a "few" crashes. It was under water for over 7 minutes.

The scabbard was codura and the scope was constantly wet. Temps were below zero at times. I would have bet money that the scope would not survive the trip.

However it never lost its zero or fogged up.

It proved its toughness to me.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a scope failure with a leupold vari x 3 on a 375. The best choices are US optics, NSX, or Schmidt & Bender.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I found this.
S&B 5-25 vs USO 3.8-22 SN3
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=174770