New
Find
Notify
Tools

got the 204 need a scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a Savage 16FSS in 204 Ruger and trying to decide about a good scope to top it with.

I like the idea of high magnification, but willing to sacrafice zoom for quality. I was thinking a Pentax (Burris) 4.5-14x42, a Sightron SII 4.5-14x44, or Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40.

Any thoughts on my choices or other higher magnification scopes in that $250 range?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge Nikon fan. I have a Buckmaster 6-18x. Only negative to it is the eyebox gets a little touchy above 14x. The 4.5-14x that I have played with in the store does not seem to have the same problem. Also has 1/8" adjustments rather than 1/4". Otherwise a very good scope.

However, the Monarchs are even better. Look around for a used 5.5-16.5x or 6.5-20x Monarch. They are a clear step up in glass beyond the Buckmaster and used or refurbed are a good deal. samplelist is a good place to look.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add a Weaver Grand Slam 6-24x40 on special at Natchez for $279.

I have had troubles with comparing scopes in this price range. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MT, I am a Nikon fan and my Savage VLP wears a NIKON 6.5-20 MONARCH with target turrets and has confirmed kills to 778 yards on groundhogs!! With that said, I have also put together and used several other .204's that utilized different optics and one that stands out is a Remington VLS in .204 that I mounted a 4.5-14 Burris with Ballistic Plex on and that guy has yet to miss a "water filled balloon" at 500 yards using the chart!! His load is 28.3 grains of Accurate 2230 and the 32 grain Sierra!! The BP works!! At a bit less than the Nikon Monarch but I still like to "Dial and Dust" with my target turrets!! Hope this helps! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote