New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swarovski ballistic turret for older scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a bunch of 3 to 8 year old Swarovski AV series scopes, and was wondering if anyone knows if the 'Ballistic Turret' knob is available for the AV series scopes? I also have several PH series, and wonder the same about them.

Thanks for any feedback.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, I'm not totally convinced it is as simple as replacing the "knob". I only have one Swaro with a BT, and have not used it an awful lot. Part of the reason for that, is that I personally found the process and parts involved in getting 1) the rifle zeroed, and 2) the BT adjustment tower "calibrated" to be somewhat overcomplicated - man there seem to be parts and bits everywhere when one tries to set up this system. I guess it would get easier with more practice, but all the bits and parts do not really lead me to believe this is as simple as adding a replacement adjustment tower cover - much like is the case on Leupold scopes(?).

In any event, although I do believe that a "click" approach has the potential of offering more precise ballistic compensation, I personally find a click approach to be a tad slow and somewhat impractical for field use and prefer a (less precise?) ballistic compensation reticle. YMMV...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho - That's why I prefer the Kahles MultiZero series of scopes. Unfortunately, they don't make the CL series anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike--I see your point on the multiple parts aspect. I have so many scopes that it is difficult to have the data on recall (as opposed to written on a sticker on the stock Smiler ) I haven't found the ballistic reticles I have in my Swaro's--TDS's--to be very close in simple terms....i.e. if zero at 200 is the first or main crosshair, then the second one is typically not 300, and third 400 or so on. I admittedly have not spent a lot of time learning how you should actually utilize these 'stadia lines' for the best effect, but I haven't been simply impressed!!

Time for more learning I suppose....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I hear what you are saying. Normally, if I need ballistic compensation I'll be hunting in wide open country. If at all possible - i.e. I don't get more than 2.5-3" (max) rise over zero - I try to zero the main crosshairs for 300 yds (or as close as possible). That way, for most of my shots I won't have to think about ballistic compensation at all. Only on those faaaaar out targets, will I have to consider which crosshair I need to use next. Fortunately, on those ultra long shots, one often has a bit more time to fiddle around.

As far as correct ballistic compensation via reticles is concerned, I have to admit that most of my scopes equipped with ballistic reticles come from Leupold, and have been kitted out with custom reticles - specified to match the ballistics of my load and rifle. That works *pretty* good - but naturally it is possible that the various crosshairs are 10-20 yards (or so) off what was specified. That is close enough for government work.

IMHO, as good as the Euro scopes are, Leupold is ahead in terms of ballistic compensation and services offered at a very reasonable price - such as custom reticle installation.

The one reason I got a Swaro BT scope, was to be able to use the adjustable ballistic compensation with multiple rifles and multiple loads. Still an option, although more cumbersome than I had hoped. Besides, having hunted antelope in Eastern MT with Rod, and having had 'lopes constantly walking away from me, and me trying desperately to 1) measure new distance and 2) adjust the click tower accordingly, I had to conclude that the BT idea works well in certain situations and less so in others. Thus my preference for the simpler, faster but probably also less precise system of a (custom) ballistic reticle.

Thankfully, we all find gear that works - although not necessarily the same as what our buddies prefers....

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
P.S. here is what the manufacturers should offer - and probably will before long.

1) a scope with a built-in range finder. Hopefully a lot less cumbersome than the models currently available.

2) ability to load your own ballistics onto the scope - a scope with a USB, so to speak.

3) upon ranging a target, the illuminated dot comes on at the point that matches the target distance to your ballistic curve. So all you have to do is to measure and put the lit dot on the critter, and...

It probably won't be too long before this is all possible, and maybe a bit longer before the kit becomes practical (e.g. in terms of size, reliability and price).

Until such time...

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
MHO, good point all the above. I am damn certain the tech is there today for a laser rangefinding, reticle adjusting scope. NO question in my mind, I have seen military versions of such. Very small (length) scopes BTW....

And yes, as to dialing a reticle or multiple dial type like the Swaro ballistic turret, some situations and not so much for others. I have made all of my really long shots on game with a standard 'plex' reticle single crosshair scope. It is great to be with someone like Rod, who will range with his Leica's BRF's and then you can confer on a holdover estimate for the distance for that particular shot...it helps a lot that he is so broadly knowledgeable of ballistics, and can give you a damn accurate 'drop dope' for your particular load and rifle!!

I have also learned a ton at our new silhouette range, it is really a kick to make a quick target acquisition and shot, and hear the gong bang to confirm your shot!!

I'll be interested to see how long it actually takes to get to market with a scope like we spec'd out! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
P.S. here is what the manufacturers should offer - and probably will before long.

1) a scope with a built-in range finder. Hopefully a lot less cumbersome than the models currently available.

2) ability to load your own ballistics onto the scope - a scope with a USB, so to speak.

3) upon ranging a target, the illuminated dot comes on at the point that matches the target distance to your ballistic curve. So all you have to do is to measure and put the lit dot on the critter, and...

It probably won't be too long before this is all possible, and maybe a bit longer before the kit becomes practical (e.g. in terms of size, reliability and price).

Until such time...

- mike

Your time has arrived!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Woods. I had briefly seen the new Burris range finding scopes. Originally, I believe they bought the model from Swaro and added their own optics. It seems they keep on an evolutionary path with this product. Kudos to Burris for this.

I have a feeling this scope might be just a tad unwieldy for my taste, but surely the size will come down, and perhaps other manufacturers will also catch onto the idea. A lot of applause for Burris leading the way is certainly called for!

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool, I too hope that the footprint can change to something more traditional, just for the sake of mounts if nothing else! I would be interested to look through one and see what the optics are like, and how it is to hold a 1/3 moa dot on a target, and how good you would group with it.....

Thanks for the update Bob, I've been too far out of the loop for a while!

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
14 pages of discussion on the Eliminator

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote