Find
Notify
Tools

"Intermediate" Scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted
I am looking for a specific hunting scope.

There are several excellent 1 - 6 x 24 scopes w illuminated reticle out there.

There are also lots of top end scopes 1,7 / 2 - 10 / 12 x 42 available. Swaro first, Kahles second, Leupold, Minox, Leica, Geco, all else at the heels.

I want a 1,5 - approx 5 or 6 as a hunting scope, but I want some more light gathering than with a x 24 objective, and I absolutely want an illuminated dot.

There´s the Zeiss Duralyt / new Name ??? 1,2 - 5 x 36, but it´s heavy. Weight is important. Might as well use a x 42 scope.

Then there´s the Leupi 1,75 - 6 x 36, but it has no illumination, and, as with all Leupis below the VX - 6, FOV is nothing to write home about. Not so good for a stalking type of hunting and moving game.

Any contenders?

Pls help me - thanks!

Hermann

P.S.: I use, and love, a Leupi VX - R 2 - 7 x 32. If only it had bigger FOV!

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The 1.5-6x36 (or x42) is highly regarded range in Europe and is still made by Zeiss, Kahles et al.

My favorite among the present crop would be the Zeiss Victory Diavari because of the fine field-blending of its eyepiece.

If you can find a good old Zeiss Diavari D (or Hensoldt - probably the same thing) reticle-movement scope, preferably without the rail, you should grab that, even though they don't have illumination and need to be mounted straight.

With the traditional No. 1 reticle, when you can't see the posts it is really time to go home.

Posts: 5001 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I would prefer a newly made scope, and I definitely want an illuminated dot ( reticle ).

The times have changed, and hunting is more difficult and more expensive and time is always short ...

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arminius--You want a larger FOV than the 2x-7x, yet you speak of more magnification. As magnification increases FOV decreases. The Leupold 2x-7x has a 100 yd FOV from about 17-44 feet---plenty wide even for a large elephant. Light gathering the 2x-7x 33 would have an exit of 4.714MM on 7x and a whopping 16.5MM on 2x. Doubtful your pupil any larger than 6mm so on 5.5x and below you would not detect any gain with a larger objective.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep I feel that it would be a pretty unusual circumstance that would make my 2x7 Leupolds ineffective. Haven't encountered it yet anyway.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I have to stalk more with the 2 - 7 x 32 Leupold.

I wish their 1,75 - 6 x 35 ( or similar ) would be available with red dot.

I am quite content with max 6 or 7 x!

FOV at smaller pigs ( Javelina, if you want, "Überläufer" here ) at close quarters is important.

Thanks to all for their inputs, Hermann

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The matter of illumination has a couple of downsides.

The first one I think is sportsmanship. If we don't draw a line in the sand somewhere (like electrics) trail cams that call your phone and rifles that fire when the crosswires cross the target will become par for the course.

Reliability and its psychological implications are the other big one. Even Leupold apparently limits its warranty on illumination and I fear for the hunter who pays big money to get the light and uses it all the time, in the event of a failure.

High powers are another modern folly. Townsend Whelen and most authorities 60 years ago saw little value in scopes over 2.5x for big-game hunting, and trajectories and sportsmanship suggest that should still be enough.

Posts: 5001 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Dear Sambarman, how about you doing more reading?

My concern is NOT about max magnification, it´s about FOV up close and illumination, if necessary.

Hermann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You haven't mentioned the Zeiss 1.5/6/42 HT which seems ideal except for the price. It's heavy compared to 1.75/6 Leupy but not heavy compared to similar euro scopes. FOV of the HT is closer to a 1.5/5 Leupy than a 1.75/6 Leupy

Have I misunderstood your post or is this simply an oversight?.

Also worth noting, particularly for your application, that the 6x erector Swaros have lower claimed light transmission than the Swaros with 4x erectors.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arminius:
I want a 1,5 - approx 5 or 6 as a hunting scope, but I want some more light gathering than with a x 24 objective, and I absolutely want an illuminated dot.

Any contenders?

Pls help me - thanks!

Hermann

Leupold VX3 1.5x5 with illuminated reticle and a 30mm tube.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:

Any contenders?

Pls help me - thanks!

Hermann

How does the 20mm objective in the 30mm tube 1.5/5 illuminated Leupy transmit more light than a 24mm objective ? Smiler

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
quote:

That would be the scope I look for, if it would have a larger objective.

24 mm is "inside 30 mm Tube" - that´s standard, good scopes out there, but I would prefer something with a little bit more light.

P.S.: GOOD Sig line!!

I fear the same ...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dear Sambarman, how about you doing more reading?

My concern is NOT about max magnification, it´s about FOV up close and illumination, if necessary.

Hermann

I have reread your previous posts but am afraid I did not find any further illumination Smiler

Field of view was the express reason Townsend Whelen did not want higher magnification than 2.5x for big game hunting. The reason the Leupold 2-7 FoV at the lower end may not seem enough might be because the magnification is really 2.5x to 6.5x, as is the case with the VX-1 model.

To get a bigger FoV, you can get a bigger ocular lens and/or shorter eye relief. As we resort to more-powerful rifles, no one wants shorter eye relief and many scope makers are adding big, fat, rubber eyepieces to prevent scope cuts. Trouble is these eyepieces kill field blending and may cover 25 feet of the horizon at 100 yards, beyond that lost to magnification, as well as leaving you with a whoppingly high-mounted scope.

As to reliable illumination, I think Trijicon has a system that works without batteries in daylight. It seems to gather light through fibre optics from what is available above but does call on a tritium phosphor lamp after dark.

That should be more reliable than the old luminous reticle Nickel Supra offered 60 years ago, where you needed to shine a light into the scope for two minutes before use in poor light.

The Trijicon AccuPoint line (as they call it) may not come in sizes to suit you, though, as I have only seen a 1-4x24 and a 2.5-10x56. Still, a 24mm objective gives you all the light most eyes can ever use at 3x, more than enough magnification in Whelen's opinion.

Nickel AG do a 1.5-6x30 called the Magnum, which they claim is made especially for heavy-recoil rifles. It comes with a No. 4 reticle for about 2600 euros or illumination for another 500. The compact ocular and long eye relief guarantee the field of view will not be excessive but, if these scopes are as good as the old ones, you probably won't notice that.

They only do mail order, though, and if their service in that department is no better than their correspondence, you might never get it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
quote:
quote:

Any contenders?

Pls help me - thanks!

Hermann

How does the 20mm objective in the 30mm tube 1.5/5 illuminated Leupy transmit more light than a 24mm objective ? Smiler

Have no idea. I was just showing him what is on the market since he asked for a specific style of scope. I didn't make any claims.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I would suggest.I have one and will order another tomorrow.Knock off another10% before 2015.
http://www.cameralandny.com/op....pl?page=minox_66400

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
That´s a good price, and it´s low weight.

FOV 80 ft will do, as really 1 x is not necessary for hunting.

Thanks for an interesting option ( I still wish, it would be x 32 or so ).

Hermann

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Docter 1,5-6x42 would not be a bad choice . . .

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at some of the Leupold "Tactical" scopes. Although a little more magnification than you are looking for, the 30MM 2.5x8 would be a tough versatile hunting scope. I also like some of the Nightforce products but weight is a problem. The S&B Zenith 1.75x6 Flashdot is my all time favorite scope but again 30MM scopes tend to be a little heavy

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...php/topics/5421015/4

"The 1.5X5 Leupies are very tough scopes and I highly recommend them; just as long as you don't intend to use them in low light contidions where they are woefully inadequate. A much better choice (if you are sticking to Leupolds) is the 1.75X6X32 1.75X6X32 (E). A little higher magnification and better light transmission. Too bad Leupold won't make this with an ill reticle."

Also, the Minox ZA 5 1.5-8 x 32 - PLEX / #4 Minox ZA 5 1.5-8 x 32 - PLEX / #4 would be perfect for me ... regrettably it has no illuminated reticle ( yet? ).

Hermann

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
The Zeiss HT 1.5-6x42 or the S&B Stratos 1.5-8x42 would fit the bill nicely

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love the leupold VX-R 2-7x33. Very friendly field of view on the low end and the firedot helps alot on moving targets in a broken background like canary grass or plum brush. For the money they are very clear and durable.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42. You can get it illuminated or not. Either way you love it, i do.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Yes.

I´ve looked up and down, there´s no good x 32 scope with all the bells and whistles, and if comes down and close, the 1,7 - 10 x 42 Z 6 i is the best ...

----> even with less than 500 Gramm weight!

But the price ... for my # 1 hunting rifle, # 1 scope it´s ok, but as a backup???

... it´s just too d#*§ expensive.

Hermann