Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

decisions, decisions...
 Login/Join

posted
Need opinions! I'm having Hart build a 25WSM for me for whitetails/mulies/antelopes/coyotes. I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 that I really like on another rifle. Considering another Zeiss, VX-III 4.5-14x50 (non-AO), or a VX-II 4-12x50. I know the 50mm is huge, but much of my shooting is early/late. Thanks!

I like blowin' big holes in stuff...

Posts: 49 | Location: E. TN | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
There is no problems with anything you are looking at... I think for your lower light shooting that you may want to consider another Zeiss as they're optics are just a touch brighter and sharper... My eyes are too old to make much use of the difference but yours might be in better shape... Stop in to your favorite store and do a comparison...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Billyboy,

I've had the chance to do a good bit of shooting during the last 6 months with the scopes you've mentioned.

IMHO you will not find a better scope than the 4.5-14x44 Conquest in that price range. Although some come close, the conquest wins hands down for a low light super clear hunting optic for a descent price.

Matter of fact I'm considering selling one of my more expensive scopes right now to get another Conquest 4.5-14x44.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Conquest. Much better glass than the Leupolds and brightness is very good as well.

Posts: 20 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
The 3.5x10x44 Conquest may fit your needs as well and suggest looking through one unless you really need 14X.

I have taken game out to about 400yds with mine and didnt want or need more light or magnification.

Certainly, I don't think you need 14X for East TN, unless you travel out west a great deal.

YMMV.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. The 14x may be a little overkill, but I do go out West almost every year. It's also nice for coyotes and the occasional groundhog in addition to counting antler points on several of the properties I hunt where bucks must be 8 points or better. Guess that settles it, thanks again!

I like blowin' big holes in stuff...

Posts: 49 | Location: E. TN | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong at all with the 14x power. I use a Leupy VX3 4-14x50mm LR with 30mm tube and side AO on my 300 win. The downside is the eye height but that can be adjusted easily with a stock wrap. You can't beat the low light performance of this scope. I'm not a Zeiss user, but given all the positive things on these forums, I might put one on my 204 Ruger.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote