Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Scope Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
I have a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 458 Lott and two sets of Talley quick detach rings for it. My idea was to have one Leupold 2-7X scope set up for 350 gr. bullets and another for 500 gr. bullets.

All is fine with the VX-I scope I use for the 350 gr. bullets but the VX-II I wanted to use with the 500 gr. bullets can't be adjusted up enough to get the bullets up to the target center at 100 yards and I'm not shooting light loads.

Talley rings for the CZ 550 come in only 1 height and they're fairly low. I e-mailed Leupold about the problem. They didn't answer my e-mail but sent me a set of shims. Shims won't work with Talley mounts and I would think that physically raising the scope would lower the impact point even further.

My questions are:

1. Is the scope defective or is it an improper application?
2. Would a 3-9 VX-I or VXII or a 1.5-5 VX-III be more likely to have an adequate range of adjustment?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It may not be the scope but the rings. Try taking some measurements and see if the rings are providing identical heights. I once had the same problem with Warne rings (but not with Talleys) and found that if I interchanged the rings from front to back what used to be too low then became too high. It was a ring problem.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On My RWS air rifle I could not get the adjustment I needed. I called an airsmith at RWS and without telling him where it was hitting,he told me. It required an adjustable mount--shims werent the answer. It was a Leupold scope---but that didnt matter----it's something to do with how RWS sets em up.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

There is a recoil cutout for the rear ring on a CZ 500 so there is only one ring that can be used there; I won't be able to switch the rings around. It being a quick detach system, Talleys also aren't compatible with shims or an adjustable setup.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
My questions are:

1. Is the scope defective or is it an improper application?
2. Would a 3-9 VX-I or VXII or a 1.5-5 VX-III be more likely to have an adequate range of adjustment?

Re 1. I doubt it's either. Chances are Wink and carpet are on the right track, but the problem may be with the rifle just for starters.
ie is the action lined up with the barrel?
Are the scope(s) anywhere near the centre of their movements?
Will the first scope (350gr load) adjust up enough for the 500gr load?

Re. 2. IF the scopes arn't near the centre of their adjustments that is not their fault.
I think some mounts come with shims to tilt the scope (up at the rear with your problem), not to raise the whole scope.

Warne also have mounts to tilt the scope (probably mostly for long range shooting), but may be handy to correct other problems?

My 458 shot a heck of a lot lower with full power 500gr loads than 405 light loads, but I could just count clicks to use the one scope for either zero. But that's not with a CZ/Brno. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote