New
Find
Notify
Tools

How good is are new Weaver Scopes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just received a new Master catalogue and it has 2&1/2 pages of Weaver scopes. Weaver scopes have been around for about 80 years and have been know for good durable scopes with good tracking at a reasonable price. Well the new ones must be over the top as their best line the Super Slams are priced at just over $600 to almost $2100. The only other scopes priced that much are the Swarovski and a few tactical Leupolds, Nightforce and Steiners. Most of their scopes lines started at $300 or more. I have never owned a Weaver scope, am I missing something?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only similarity between the old El Paso Weavers and those currently being sold is the name. This says nothing about how good or bad the current "Weaver" scopes may be, just that they have nothing in common with the El Paso models.

The current "Weavers" are made somewhere in Asia and the last I knew it was ATK (formerly called Alliant Techsystems) which owned the name, although that information may be out of date. It is not uncommon these days for the conglomerates in the "leisure industries" to own a number of brand names, several of which may be marketed as if in competition with one another. Example: "Redfield" is just a name that Leupold bought for the purpose of marketing scopes imported from Asia. Today's Redfield has no more to do with Denver or the design of the scopes made there than the fact that the ownership of the name can be traced through a chain of owners back to a now-defunct company housed in that city.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several of the V series and one Grand Slam. They appear to be a good value.

They track well and have held up well.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Among our group of Hunters/Shooters we have purchased at least 20 of the Weaver Classic Extremes in 1.4-4.5x24, 2.5-10x50, 2.5-10x56 & 4-16x50 at a solid price from Natchez.

I've got one 1.5-4.5x24 (9.3x62),
a 2.5-10x56 (243 Winchester and intend to purchase another one, too) and
two 4.4-16x50's (.223 Rem & 25-06 Rem).

These new Classic Extremes are much better scopes IMO than the 4-16x42(AO) (it's actually an O.K. varmint scope) or the 2.5-10x50 Weaver Grand Slam (POS scope) purchased @ 10-15 years ago.

I'm impressed; so are my Buddys and my wallet is happy, too.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just wondering how some models of Weaver Super slams can sell for over $2000? Are they among the best scopes in the world? Glad to hear about the quality of the Classic Extremes.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
These new Classic Extremes are much better scopes IMO than the 4-16x42(AO) (it's actually an O.K. varmint scope) or the 2.5-10x50 Weaver Grand Slam (POS scope) purchased @ 10-15 years ago.

The Weaver Grand Slam from several years ago would have been from a different manufacturer and marketed by a different owner of the Weaver name than the current models.

Keeping up with who owns, much less who makes, a particular name-brand of scope these days is about as difficult as keeping up with who owns the contract of a minor league ball player. I'm not sure that the scope names don't change ownership more often than relief pitchers with an 8+ ERA.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I was beguiled by the 1-4 Super Slam's possibility, hearing they had FFP reticles. However, realising now that this probably just a variation on the image-movement delusion, I've lost interest.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote