New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting Scope 65MM or 85MM???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to buy my first spotting scope, either Zeiss or Swarovski. I'm not sure whether I should get a 65MM or 85MM scopes.

I'll be using it for elk, mule deer, antelope, whitetails, and maybe on my next Africa trip.

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Depends who's carrying it! HAHA

All I can recommend is get the best one you can afford and carry. The spotting scopes made all the difference on my last trip to Alaska and there was a difference in the two different Swarovski scopes my guides had. I get the BEST Swarovski you can.

If I was carrying it, it would be a Zeiss Dialyt .

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Get the Swarovski 80 STS in HD and don't look back, I up graded from a carl zeiss, and then up from a 65 ATS to what I got now the 80 STS in HD....All I can say is, wow, I should have done this back a long time ago.
I went with the straight instead of angled for main reason for "Quick Aquisition" Going with the 80 STS, is not a whole lot of diff in weight, but will save you miles of walking.
I went with the 80 STS instead of the STX or ATX model because I'm rough on equipment and the 80 STS is more rigid were its a solid piece other than the removable eye piece, the STX breaks down in the center ( the weakest point) where most of the pressure will be when you are carrying it in your pack, and could damage the interlocks....just Sayin'
Invest in the protective cover case...best $200 spent it will protect the spotter too.
I'm going on my 2nd year with mine, and we Alaskan hunters like to put all our gear to the test .....

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The note above regarding weight can be a big issue on a mule deer hunt or elk hunt.I own 3 scopes. A old 1st generation 20X50 Leupold which does not have the current quality glass or coatings but is very light and very tough. A Leupold 15-45X 60 Leupold Gold Ring HD. The real nice thing about the Leupold is eye relief which is over one inch. Makes a BIG difference when you are in some contorted position on the side of a mountain.The HD Leupold has equivilent resoultion of my Zeiss FL or Leica 12X 60 HD Binocs. I think a very underrated glass. The zoom feature is difficult to turn. Likely to do with water resistance.
My third is a Votex Razor HD with a 85 MM lens. It has a angled eyepiece and it is a great glass but is heavy. Many favorably compare this scope to Swaravsky or Zeiss. I think a bit heavy to tote around.
IMHO the eye relief is a huge deal. There is some really good stuff out there and some real expensive stuff as well.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an unused Leica that I am going to be offering for sale one of these days. It is straight tubed with the 77MM objective and has the variable power eyepiece plus canvas cover. PM me if you are interested and I'll get all the details.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one is really pretty simple. If you are going to tote it in a backpack go with the 65mm. If it is going to be used from a vehicle or carried by a horse or mule go with the 85mm's.

Posts: 763 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have not decided for sure on a brand, I recommend considering the Kowa line of spotting scopes. The Kowa base (not XD)series are what most competitive shooters use.

I owned Kowa's in 77 and 82mm before I learned that for my use, bigger was not always better. Several years ago I sold the 82 and went to a 66 for ease of carry. They have all had superb optical quality and the only difference between the last two are different fields of view.

I particularly like the long eye relief fixed eyepieces Kowa offers. They have better resolution than any adjustable eyepiece I've looked through in Kowa or Zeiss.

You also have a choice of a straight or 45 degree eye piece body and XD glass. If you might use it in very low light, XD could be worth considering but, I've never heard anyone complain about the non XD models.

The following site will typically save you some money on Kowa products: http://www.jarheadtop.com/KOWA.htm

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One issues with Kowa's outside of their outstanding resolution. Thier top end model uses a pure flourite crystal objective lens which is as good as it gets BUT... It is very fragile and prone to damage compared to optical glass. Top end HD Swar, Zeiss and leica all used flourite enfused glass which is far more durable. Think about it.. Is durability important? Most of the target shooting guys use the Kowa but then again it is on a tripod at a range not in the field. Kowa is the only company I am aware of that offers a pure flourite crystal in an objective lens; top end model (sporting optics)and that is why they are considered the best of the best for resolution.

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by Ammoloader:
If you have not decided for sure on a brand, I recommend considering the Kowa line of spotting scopes. The Kowa base (not XD)series are what most competitive shooters use.

I owned Kowa's in 77 and 82mm before I learned that for my use, bigger was not always better. Several years ago I sold the 82 and went to a 66 for ease of carry. They have all had superb optical quality and the only difference between the last two are different fields of view.

I particularly like the long eye relief fixed eyepieces Kowa offers. They have better resolution than any adjustable eyepiece I've looked through in Kowa or Zeiss.

You also have a choice of a straight or 45 degree eye piece body and XD glass. If you might use it in very low light, XD could be worth considering but, I've never heard anyone complain about the non XD models.

The following site will typically save you some money on Kowa products: http://www.jarheadtop.com/KOWA.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might also point out thet Leica, Zeiss and Swar all employ coatings on their outer lenses that bead water droplets and are easy to clean. Leica additionally boasts a very scratch resistant outer coating similar to Leupold.
Things to be considered for a optic to be used in adverse elements.
Your optics will get dirty in the filed no matter how hard you try to keep them clean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EZ, I have no experience with the durability of the Prominar XD line (fluorite). Do you know of any problems with these scopes?

I do know my base line 82 mm Kowa scope fell 5-1/2 feet on to concrete once with no ill effect.

Spotting scopes used for across the course (200, 300 600 yd) position shooting are hauled around and bumped (rain or shine)as much or more as a back packed hunting scope. The Army, Marine and National Guard teams use them. If the scopes were not fairly tough, I don't believe Kowa could own the competitive shooting market the way they do. - Cliff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have few hobbies or interests I have participated with for almost 40 of my 56 years. About anything with a motor, optics, and hunting. I have learned to be successful is to be prepared, research your topic the best you can and test it. I am real believer in simplicity and durability.
With regard to Flourite crystal lens, the astronomy folks that use such lens in Takahashi and other very expensive scopes suggest the ultimate care and handling of the optics as they are soft, fragile (relative to normal optics) and can be scratched easily.
As for dropping any optical instrument onto concrete from 5.5 Ft. I would not believe you could depend on any product would survive that. You have a very special instrument. I have dropped Swar SLC's from about 3 1/2 ft a few time onto a hard surface (not concrete) and they were knocked out of alignment. Needless to say I am not big on their durability. Always found Leicas to be the toughest. Just my experience.
Hunted in alaska three times in my thirties with a friend and no guide in late August/early September above Kotzebue, way out in the bush in the elements in adverse weather. I found out what works and what does not. Make it tough and easy to use and do not buy cheap stuff!
BTW: There is not a significant difference in that Kowa Promonar XD and the Vortex Razor. The Kowa is better but at 3X the price??
Like you I see value in extended relief eye pieces.
To answer you question, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Kowa products. They are top notch. You just sacrifice some structural integrity or dependability with a Crystal Flourite lens. There are trade offs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that feedback. I agree the Leica's are stout. The only bino I've seen that compares in construction is the Meopta (AKA Cabelas Euro).

I would certainly have to look at the Vortex spotting scope based on what I've seen of their HD optics to date. Wonder if their fixed magnification eyepiece is long eye relief? That's and important feature to me because it makes the scope so much easier to use using eyewear or not.

I lived, worked hunted and shot competitively in AK for 28 years so, I understand your point about testing and making sure something works. That is particularly important for tent's. In AK, your life depends on those more than any other piece of gear. Cliff