New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need reasonable scope that holds zero
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife recently started shooting, mostly a suppressed Savage MK2. She is enjoying it but is frustrated by cheaper scopes that do not hold their zero.

I need a reasonably priced mil-dot scope with an adjustable objective that does not need adjustment every time we go to the range. I am thinking of just dishing out $450 for a Leupold scope, but this is more than the rifle and silencer put together. I know there is no substitute for good glass, but I need to know what else is out there that is decent and does not cost an arm and a leg. Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Leupold scopes on 458 win mag on down to 22 l.r. You will not have to buy another unless you want a different model. Its cheaper to buy one good scope than several cheap ones that do not hold up.

There are other good scopes out there. I have had most, but you can't beat the guarantee and American made.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting the scope for the Savage MKII and need the adjustable objective for close range—i.e inside 50 yards—and you want a mildot reticle then you're choices are pretty limited. Leupold makes some scopes that will fill the bill. I believe they are referred to as Extended Focus Range scopes. If you don't need the AO for very close range, then look at the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 mil dot at MidwayUSA that's on sale for $179.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I like Leupold (and Trijicon, and Zeiss, and Minox).

But for the buck, the two Vortex scopes I have purchased for some 'within budget and within reason' applications have been very good. Enough so that I have ordered another one. Doing business with Cameraland has been quite positive also.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what Matt says about Cameraland. I ordered a vortex for my daughter to use on her first bear hunt. It took less then 5 mins to have it on its way from Doug and Neil. It got to a very remote part of Wyoming in 3 days. (Free Shipping) I added rings by Vortex also. Mounted and ready to go to the range in about 15 min. Drove out in the desert to our range we have set up and 4 shots later, she was shooting a 1" group at 100 yds.

The best thing is the Vortex Warrenty. No matter what is wrong with it they will replace it. For Life

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She typically set up her targets at 100 yards but ocassionaly shoots from 50 to 200 yards.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
I am thinking of just dishing out $450 for a Leupold scope, but this is more than the rifle and silencer put together.
Ranb

The whole combo cost less than $450? Tell us about the can.

P.S. Buy a lower cost Leupold ($250) or NEW Redfield ($179) and never look back. Both have no fault lifetime warranty!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold or Redfield. Not sure why you think you need an AO but "I" would not get a scope with an AO myself. Also a regular Duplex retical works well but they do have mil-dot if that is what you want.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Bushnell Elite 3200 for around $250-300 Have one on my 7mm mag.
Bushnell Elite 4200 which is slightly brighter for around $375-400

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Pa.Frank
I'm sending you a PM

Posts: 5013 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote