New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best stock for mounting a spotting scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a preferred method for mounting a Leupold 12-40x60 spotting scope to a rifle stock or know of a munufacturer of same?
Thanks...

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john113wyo:
Does anyone have a preferred method for mounting a Leupold 12-40x60 spotting scope to a rifle stock or know of a munufacturer of same?
Thanks...

Like, to actually shoot? This could be interesting...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
No, I think he means to use as a spotting scope. Mounting it to a rifle stock will make it possible to use it in the field without a tripod.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/...tting-Scope-s/77.htm

I saw some that were much more compact. Will do a search and get back to you.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
http://www.adorama.com/CZSS.html

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i always used any old stock i had laying around. i put a block of wood in the magazine well and drill a hole thru it , then fasten the scope on with a 1/4x20 screw

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm talking about using it as a spotter while my hunter is using his rifle.
The Boyds looks good and I've found the BushHawk but it's pretty pricey.
I've got an antelope hunt coming up this October that I want to have the stock ready for..

Thanks for what you've found so far.

John

posted Hide Post
Have you considered a monopod with a QR baseplate?

Very easy to set up, very lightweight and i suspect it will offer more stability than a rifle stock...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have a BushHawk for photography, where it shines with the long heavy telephoto lenses and the button shutter release like a trigger. To use it also for a spotting scope would be no problem of course, but I don't think it merits the price if you're not going to use one also for photography, which could justify the price.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, any old rifle stock can be easily adapted for this purpose. If you go this route, you can cut off most of the fore-end of the stock, but it would be best to make sure it extends just beyond the front lens of the spotter to afford some protection to the scope.

Also, Leupold makes a nifty little "stock", really just a metal frame work with a tripod screw at the front end and a buttplate at the rear. It doesn't help protect the scope at all, but is extremely compact and weighs very little. It's so small that it can be easily carried anywhere that you will want or need a scope. It works really well with any small-to-medium sized spotter, even those with angled eyepieces.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete E.
Yes, I'd thought about a monopod, but also figured it will get alot of prone use. I've got a tripod for it, but was looking for an easy way to sling it while walking and hold it steady while prone. Thought a gunstock type mount might work.
AND I 'd rather not pay the price for the bushawk..
Thanks to all
John