THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mil-dot scopes with MOA adjustment = Stupid?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Maybe I'm a bit stupid, but why is it so popular to have mil-dot reticle in the scope when the step is not taken fully out, and still stick to MOA clicks adjustments?
I dont have a calkulator inside my head, at least not a fast one, so I think this is stupid.
IF mil-dot is used, it would have been much more simple to calculate how much to turn if the adjustment was metric. OR of the dots was of a known MOA size, AND the adjustment was MOA's.
I just looked trough Leupolds catalog and couldt find any scope with metric adjustment.

I know that this is US-made scopes, and that US uses non-metric measurements. Of course I dont want to discuss what is the best. The best would of course have been if we all used the same, but thats that!
But why then, mix in the mil-dot, in these system?
Would'nt it be best to have ONE system to think about, together with the wind, bullet drop, spin of........ Confused

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
MOA adjustments for MOA reticle and .1 Mill adjustments for Mill Dot reticles is the prefered set up...

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry! Roll Eyes

I just had to let this out........

Hopefully, maybe some folks from the technical departmens office at Leupold reads this.

I'm fond of Leupold scopes, but....... Wink

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Companies that mass produce scopes have a problem with change because of retooling cost.

My opinion is that they understand that change is required in some areas like common units, first focal plane reticles and rapid focus eye pieces, but the cost of change over makes this a slow process.

Believe me they know.

And besides you should learn your 27.7 times tables anyway.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said DMCI*
460WBY you might want to check out www.shooterready.com site for some practice with eithr moa or mils. Good exercise in the winter while waiting out the blizzard/storms. Take care.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Well said DMCI*
460WBY you might want to check out www.shooterready.com site for some practice with eithr moa or mils. Good exercise in the winter while waiting out the blizzard/storms. Take care.

I'd love to... Wink

If I could consentrate on ONE of the two!
It is quite fun to get this into the head, so it almost works like a reflex. But NOT a mil-dot rekticle and a MOA adjustment..... thumbdown

I sure hope the manufacturers can afford to make the set up right sometime.......
Cool

Arild.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
460wby,
Perhaps you did not notice the mfg. of the scope pictured on this thread, but it is a U.S. Optics and I have one and can say that if you want the correct combo, or whatever combo they can and do build them. Not seen normally on sporting/civilian rifles due to somewhat heavy and price is up there. There are no better optics available at this time in my and others opinions, but if you want the toughest, most precise optics available they are the ones to go to. check them out www.usoptics.com

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
460wby,
Perhaps you did not notice the mfg. of the scope pictured on this thread, but it is a U.S. Optics and I have one and can say that if you want the correct combo, or whatever combo they can and do build them. Not seen normally on sporting/civilian rifles due to somewhat heavy and price is up there. There are no better optics available at this time in my and others opinions, but if you want the toughest, most precise optics available they are the ones to go to. check them out www.usoptics.com

Did'nt notice. Thanks for the tip!!

Arild.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently shot several different US Optics scopes.

I have been shooting and using MOA scope knobs just too long I guess.

I am too old to change.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote