Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-6 vs. VX-R ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Just in case someone might have both scopes with the illuminated red dot, is the VX-6 worth twice the cost of a VX-R??

The guy at the Leupold booth told me the VX-6 is a lot brighter but indoors who could really tell?

Any info/help would be appreciated.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Bill,
I recently acquired a 2-7 VXR. I'm extremely impressed with the product. My decision was prompted after using a rifle mounted with same scope last year that one of my hunters had. He purchase the 2-7 VXR at the 2012 SCI convention.

Light transmission and images are bright and sharp. The 4" eye relief is generous. I used extra high ring mounts as I like to shoot more "head up European style for faster target acquisition. See if you can find a demo to look thru at one of your local dealers. The lighted reticle and 30mm tube all make it unique in its class.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own the 4-12x40 VX-R CDS and it is a great scope in all respects but the VX-6 beats it all to h*** and gone when you factor in field of view. I don't think the massive field of view is worth the extra $400 to me but to someone else it might be what they want.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
I own the 4-12x40 VX-R CDS and it is a great scope in all respects but the VX-6 beats it all to h*** and gone when you factor in field of view. I don't think the massive field of view is worth the extra $400 to me but to someone else it might be what they want.

Thanks for the heads up. The 30 mm scopes seemingly have a slightly greater FOV. I guess that is because of the larger tube and nothing else. But not by much.

Your post got me thinking again that the FOV at different power settings is just a function of the power, and that the VX-6 probably doesn't have any larger field of view of the VX-R at the same power setting.

So to show that to myself, I took the FOV of the VX-6 at 1X (116 ft.) and just divided it by some of the power settings of the VX-6, two VX-3's, and the VX-R.

FOV = 116/X

E.g., the FOV of the VX-R at the 1.5X setting is then,

FOV = 116/1.5 = 77.3 ft.

This compares closely to Leupold's cataloged value of FOV of 75.0 ft.

FWIW, for some other Leupold scopes, the calculated FOV's are shown in comparison to Leupold's cataloged FOV's, as Cataloged FOV (Calculated FOV).

VX-6 (1-6X) @ 1X (actual) 116 (---)
VX-6 (1-6X) @ 6X (actual) 19 (19.3)
VX-3 (3.5-10X) @ 3.5X (actual: 3.3X) 29.8 (35.15)
VX-3 (3.5-10X) @ 10X (actual: 9.5X) 9.5 (12.2)
VX-R (1.5-4X) @ 1.5X (actual) 75 (77.3)
VX-R (1.5-4X) @ 4X (actual) 29 (29)
VX-3 (1.5-5X) @ 1.5X (actual: 1.6X) 68 (72.5)
VX-3 (1.5-5X) @ 5X (actual: 4.5X) 23.8 (25.7)

The slightly larger calculated FOV for the 1" scope than the actual (cataloged) FOV is probably because of the the inherently larger FOV of the 30 mm scope used for the calculations.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, I am not sure where you are getting your numbers. According to SWFA the VX-6 1-6x24 has 223' to 39.2' FOV and the VX-R 2-7x33 has 43.7' to 17.8' FOV, both at 100yds. As I said in my previous reply, there is no comparison of FOV between the two scopes.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'm getting the FOV data from Leupold's website. Not that Leupold's site is error free, but I might question the 223 ft. number.

Not trying to argue, I just thought it was an interesting point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, I apologize. I looked at the VX-6 on both the Leupoold web site and the SWFA website and they are not in agreement at all. I would guess the Leupold site is probably accurate since these are their products. Mia culpa
I certainly wouldn't pay $400 more to get a broader magnification range, and I guess I didn't LOL. BTW, have compared the VX3 1" tube to the VX-R scopes on the same magnification and the VX-R has much much better optic picture, and it is comparable in my opinion (as far as site pic is concerned) to my friends Nightforce when set to the same magnification.

Dennis
Life member NRA

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That's the kind of info I need to have an excuse to get a VX-R. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I have the VXR 1.25-4 with the illuminated #4 reticle and a VX6 2-12 with the illuminated duplex reticle.

The VX6 is nice with the 2x for short range, low light use yet 12x for those longer shots. It is physically on the large size. The VX6 is on my 338 WM. It has the CDS elevation turret. Once you choose a load Leupold will send you the complimentary turret based on the ballistics you provide. I have not had the chance to test it yet.

The VXR has very good field of view. This is the first #4 reticle I've ever had and I really like it.

Optics quality of both are what you would expect. Excellent.

Both have a very clever feature that switches the illumination off after the scope is motionless for some time then switches back on when motion is detected. Saves battery life.

I did not pay full retail for either but would not suffer buyers remorse if I did.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote