New
Find
Notify
Tools

IOR scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the opportunity to buy an IOR 6 X 24 X 50 35mm scope. I have an IOR so I wasn't surprised by the optical clarity but I have never looked thru a scope with that much X. I was going to put a new scope on my 300 win. I use this for long range practice and muley/elk hunting. Is this too much scope for a hunting rifle? It was HEAVY. But what I noticed mostly was the difficulty I had keeeping my head in the right position at 24X. It was mounted though. All comments welcome. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have said it wasn't mounted. I was just holding. Cross-eyed typist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chain my mate has this model and it is excellent optically. I have a 9-36x56 IOR and thats also excellent, it will be going on a Varmint Sako 75 .243.

If you can handle the weight you do what floats your boat, I would prefer this type of scope to be on a heavy barrel gun though.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's to much power , you had better send it to me for a varmint mounting !.

For the type of hunting you'll be doing it's not practical . I generally never exceed 20 power on anything then again I'm not shooting 1000 yd. either .
For hunting I prefer 2.5 - 14 power 50MM or larger objective , light enhancement dusk to dawn clarity field of view pointing ability Etc. .
If one is bench resting or dog town shooting that's another matter !. With the .300 that's unlikely though .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
I think it's to much power , you had better send it to me for a varmint mounting !.

For the type of hunting you'll be doing it's not practical . I generally never exceed 20 power on anything then again I'm not shooting 1000 yd. either .
For hunting I prefer 2.5 - 14 power 50MM or larger objective , light enhancement dusk to dawn clarity field of view pointing ability Etc. .
If one is bench resting or dog town shooting that's another matter !. With the .300 that's unlikely though .

+1
I agree on it being a little too much of a good thing.
If I were making a scope selection, I would go with a straight 6x fixed power. YMMV

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a good pprice but I think I am going to pass. It was a massive chunk of optics. I am going to stick with something around 14.5 or 15 X. Thanks Guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's a good price don't simply pass on it !.
archer
Just because it's not that particular applications cup of tea so to speak , doesn't mean it won't work on something else JUST FINE !.

I've purchased several quality scopes over the years as well as some not so quality ( Live & Learn ) . I simply have kept them , Now I'm purchasing rifles to use them on !.

I didn't go out an buy them just because , I purchased some because they were DEALS at the time !.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I understand you description it is a 6-24 power scope. Depending upon where and what you hunt, the six power could be just the ticket. You don't have to use the high end. Kudude

PS: I like Dr K's approach by the way. k-d

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote