THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    My Nikon Monarch takes a dump 2 days before Elk season

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Nikon Monarch takes a dump 2 days before Elk season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Well it took about 100 rounds from my 9.3x62 but its official my Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 is shot.
I've been working on loads for this rifle all summer and had everything tuned up and ready to go Elk hunting, had the rifle out last night to compare point of impact with 2 different bullets over the same load and I noticed that my rifle was shooting a bit left so I gave it a few clicks right and suddenly it was shooting at 12 o'clock but 4" high instead of 2" high. I shot a nice 3 shot group there and gave it 8 clicks down and it then put 2 bullets in the same hole 2" right and 2" high, I adjust 8 clicks left and it is shooting 4" high again all of these in nice distinct groups.
All adjustments keep gettin me back to 4" high but I can't take it and pulled the Nikon off tonight and put a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 on it and all is well again I'm now stacking the bullets at 1.5" high at 100 yards and I leave tomorrow for the Elk opener on Saturday.
Looks like the Nikon is going back to the factory for a tune up.
I don't know how much closer I could have cut that and still got it together.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I'm sure you will still get on some elk and have a great time with your son. I definatly hate those last minuet problems as well. Sounds like you got the problem fixed and are back on track. Can't wait to hear the hunting report and see the pictures.