New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell Firefly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone used a Firefly for night hunting like Leopard? Someone posted a while back the the 1.5x5x36 had nearly 5" of eye relief not the 3.5 as published. Any truth to that eye relief? Someone else posted you can measure the eye relief by shining a flash light through the objective lens and move a white card back and forth from the eye piece. When the light is pen pointed the distance from the scope to the card is the eye relief. Seems to work. What do think about that?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I"m unable to comment about the eye relief on that particular scope but my 4200 in 2.5-10 has eye relief pretty close to what's advertised. I don't realy worry too much about it unless it's on a big kicker. Mine is on a 25/06 loaded with light bullets, so I'm not likely to get get cut above the eye.

My scope isn't the Firefly but a mate has a 3-9 with it and I've used it at night on pigs.
Have to say it's not my cup of tea.

It does work to some degree on dark animals in very low light but the problem is that when the light is low enough to need it, It's usually too dark to see the target anyway.
There does seem to be a crossover point at dusk or dawn where it's at it's optimum. Dark, but not too dark, if you know what I mean, but this period is only for about 15-20 minutes at either end of the day.
The big trade off with this style of reticle is it's thickness. It just seems too heavy for anything but the biggest beasts God created.
I'm sure there are some out there that like it. I'm just not one of them.

Cheers,
Boof. beer

Posts: 90 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 2.5X10 Bushnell Firefly. I was just shooting it yesterday.

The glowing reticle works well. Effective at dawn and dusk.

At dusk, keep a nightvision scope with you to glass (not to shoot through). Once you have your target you can shoot accurately with the Firefly reticle.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got a couple of them, but the whole idea os shining a flashlight into them during prime hunting time kinda turns me off. They work ok, but i wouldn't use them on leopard where you must be so still and quiet. Instead i use a microdot.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have two, a 3200 3x9x40 and the 1.5x 5 x 36. The eye relief is fine-- have not measured it scientifically. They work great at dawn and dusk. I do not find the charging to be a big issue.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bushnell's 4200 series scopes are top shelf glass...the Firefle reticle works as intended..charging the reticle is no big deal..eye relief is fine for my use..here's my 1-6 4200 on my 358 Win...[URL=http://imageshack.us]

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
These elite scopes are some of the best value for the dollar. I have alot of expensive scopes. Swaro, Zeiss, S&B and I can say that the Bush. gives up just a little. I have a little 1.5x5 3200 elite firefly on my 22 mag and it works great shooting coons, and rabbits at last light.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I ended up with one on a 3200 Elite, in 5 x 15 power....

Their cross hairs are way too big for a scope with that magnification power....

It is pretty much a waste, on that scope at least....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote